Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Demon War BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2011, 02:55 AM
Elite

I don't use any of them except hardcore, which I use exclusively.

I have tried a couple of them when we were doing the weekly hardcore challenges, but can't say that I particularly enjoyed any of them that much. In fact all the options are pretty much set at default for nearly all my games, except for the starting monster level which I set to around the "easy" marker on the scaler. It means that I level more slowly, but survivabillity is better and this suits my more conservative game style. I also tend to use non "power builds" and try out lots of different (sometimes totally ineffective) skill combos. I also roleplay my characters quite often which can be a challenge game in itself.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:51 AM
Champion

Thumbs up

I use a bunch of character mods on my hardcore characters mainly because I find the experience more fun, my favorites are:

Lost - I really enjoy this one since without 'lost' activated I tend to overuse my map, looking at the map screen every couple of seconds, probably spending half of my overall play time on the map screen. With lost activated I focus more on the dungeon and the atmosphere around me since I know I won't have the map to depend on. For me it makes the game a more immersive experience overall.

Poverty - I love the poverty option since I tend to enjoy the survival aspects more than the hack & slash and gaining less coin overall makes me focus on being more resourceful with my characters. I would even like Shadow to take this a step further and have leprechauns drop no additional gold (although you should still be able to recover what they steal) with poverty mode activated since the creatures make it too easy to still gain a significant amount of coin and leprechauns take away quite a bit to the specialness of finding a treasure room when you can gain just as much if not more from a couple of leprechauns.

Unlucky - Another one of my favorites. I also stack unlucky with the rare items mod to get a especially unlucky experience in my games. I enjoy a very low magic drop rate, like poverty less is more sometimes, and with unlucky+rare items mod finding magical items turns into a special occasion instead of finding a good magical item every other step in the dungeon.

Last edited by Archon : 02-14-2011 at 04:55 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:04 AM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon View Post
Lost - I really enjoy this one since without 'lost' activated I tend to overuse my map, looking at the map screen every couple of seconds, probably spending half of my overall play time on the map screen. With lost activated I focus more on the dungeon and the atmosphere around me since I know I won't have the map to depend on. For me it makes the game a more immersive experience overall.
Interesting. Never thought of it that way. I should give it a try. Maybe it's like GPS vs. learning the lay of the land.

Quote:
Poverty - I love the poverty option since I tend to enjoy the survival aspects more than the hack & slash and gaining less coin overall makes me focus on being more resourceful with my characters. I would even like Shadow to take this a step further and have leprechauns drop no additional gold (although you should still be able to recover what they steal) with the poverty mode activated since the creatures make it too easy to still gain a significant amount of coin and leprechauns take away quite a bit to the specialness of finding a treasure room when you can gain just as much if not more from a couple of leprechauns.
Exactly! while it doesn't belong on this thread, I think leprechauns are the least enjoyable creatures in the game. I've never had a leprechaun I couldn't kill (easily), and then I get so much gold instead of being in danger of losing my gold. Maybe leprechauns should magically whisk away their money to their pot of gold every 30 seconds -- it could be a spell. Also since they're so weak, they should hide from you unless you're being swarmed by strong creatures.

Quote:
Unlucky - Another one of my favorites. I also stack unlucky with the rare items mod to get a especially unlucky experience in my games. I enjoy a very low magic drop rate, like poverty less is more sometimes, and with unlucky+rare items mod finding magical items turns into a special occasion instead of finding a good magical item every other step in the dungeon.
Yeah I'd really like to see a somewhat lower magic item rate in the game. I think my next game will be unlucky. I don't want to mod since then I lose somewhat the ability to experience the beta and give feedback.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:48 AM
Legend

Cursed mode is fun in the beginning, but if you depend on your weapon damage to the extreme, it can be very hard. Most of my cursed mode characters make it to 15 and then i get frustrated. Its especially hard when you want to use a specific weapon type and you are restricted to that type.