Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Zombasite > Zombasite
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2015, 07:56 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuidjy View Post
Armors do upgrade armor value, it's just rare.
Also note that Armor Scraps and Grindstones don't appear to upgrade the armor/damage if the item's level is at your current level.

I've been upgrading a bow, and I can use a ton of grindstones on it and it won't increase the base damage, but once I level up, I will be able to get a base damage upgrade out of it (which ups the item level requirement).
Old 10-29-2015, 07:56 PM
Expert

Quote:
Armors do upgrade armor value, it's just rare.
Apparently rare means less than 1% because I can confirm I have never once had it happen no matter how many times I've done it. Does it only go up by a single point? Because if it does, then its definitely a problem with armor scrap costs.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:04 PM
Elite

My current armor goes up by 2 or 3 armor points, every level. It will not go any higher, once the level requirements match your level.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:07 PM
Expert

Quote:
My current armor goes up by 2 or 3 armor points, every level. It will not go any higher, once the level requirements match your level.
That's strange. I'm going to have to look into this because I've never gotten it to work before.
Old 10-30-2015, 02:39 PM
Elite

The environment in this game blows me away. The trees and bushes move. You can run through tall grass, stand over bridges with running water or lava below. The caves are really cool, and the sound makes it feel more real. My favorite one so far was when I was standing next to a river and it was snowing. It looked like the snow was landing and then sliding a bit on the ice. Just breath taking! The maps are not blatantly square anymore. Everything about it sings to me. It is amazing.

As far as the infection, I don't know if anyone will think this is a spoiler, so this is your warning...

I sometimes take advantage of the secondary infection to map higher level areas while the zombies ignore me, find teleports stones back home, and find other clans for trading. Only bad thing is you can't stay home too long because of the parasites popping off you (but might be useful in an enemy clan's area), and you can't rescue overwhelmed npcs in the wild when you can't attack anything. But overall, I like staying infected with #2 for as long as I can.

I swear sometimes clans have the coolest stuff. I'm always on the hunt for extra bags, food, artifacts. You can usually make all of your money back that you spend with them by selling them stuff they want that you would have just scrapped anyway.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:40 PM
Amateur

Contact with other clans is also highly valued by clans. I've bought several set items and made all my money back by selling contact info.
Old 11-01-2015, 11:34 PM
Expert

Quote:
Alright, I managed to get a picture. You seem to know more about this armor upgrading thing, so maybe you could explain to me why this happened. Four level ups in a row all with no base armor added.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:22 AM
Elite

Well, it would be completely unbalanced if every upgrade to every armor piece added significant armor values. If I were the one to program this, I would have made every upgrade increase the armor value with a percentage of the original, basic value of the item type.

So if you are upgrading a tiny band of cloth around your waist, you would never achieve anything worthwhile, and almost every upgrade would be rounded to zero. If on the other hand, you are upgrading something that is already pretty good, or a random item that already has multipliers to its basic value, you would be seeing consistent increases.

Just a guess, but it sounds logical to me.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:17 AM
Expert

Quote:
Just a guess, but it sounds logical to me.
That's the thing about games though, what's logical doesn't equal what's good or fun. I mean there's a reason games don't have exhaustion meters that when they are out you have to sleep for hours to restore it, or you get hungry and need to eat all the time, or you get exhausted from running and have to rest for a good while, or you have to stop and catch your breath after swinging a heavy weapon around, and so on and so on. To make a game fun, you have to throw out what's logical in favor of what's fun and practical, otherwise all games would uninstall and never let you play them again after you die just one time. The exception to this rule is when the whole game is based around that type of premise like The Sims.

All that aside though, it just seems silly to have it this way in a game to me. There is already a limit to how much you can upgrade something, a limit on how high its durability can go, and to top it all off it could cost you hours on end just to get slightly decent upgrades to something just for it to all crash the moment you find something slightly better, ruining all the time and effort spent making what you had better. It gets even worse when you factor in that one of these successful upgrades could result in merely 1 point gains, as all of my upgrades have done when they did successfully upgrade.

By the way, that's just the four at the time. The same item throughout only managed to upgrade by 1 point each time its first few, and then every single one after was a plethora of wasted 0s. Those four were just the ones I screen capped.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:37 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanSota View Post
I mean there's a reason games don't have exhaustion meters that when they are out you have to sleep for hours to restore it, or you get hungry and need to eat all the time, or you get exhausted from running and have to rest for a good while, or you have to stop and catch your breath after swinging a heavy weapon around, and so on and so on.
I guess it depends on what you're used to. My favorite game when it comes to hand to hand combat, Mount and Blade Warband, has each and every one of the above, including permanent wounds/death and aging in its Viking Conquest realism hardcore mode. Zombasite doesn't, and that's fine.

But if you were garanteed to get at least one point of armor from every upgrade, you could just upgrade the ten pieces of cloth you got at level 1, and thus get ~10 points per level without any effort. This also assumes that all armors upgrade the same, which makes it boring. I much prefer to see better armors upgrading better, to be faced with the decision whether to upgrade something or not, and to save and plan for upgrading that awesome piece of gear that's just around the corner.

If you were to introduce guaranteed upgrades and keep equipment varied, you'd have to rebalance every thing around much higher armor values. So, yeah, you'd be getting higher values, but each would be barely worth anything.

As it is now, some things are not worth upgrading. You can't polish a turd.