Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Zombasite > Zombasite modding
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2017, 07:55 AM
Elite

Very interesting feedback.

Yeah, the difficulty is a lot lower in normal because I decreased it by 50%. I might actually revert this decision (it is one from the past) because I am actively rebalancing skills now (which I couldn't do before). So, there isn't a need to make 'ramping up' builds easier anymore. We'll see. I also need to do my experience per level modifications.

Another thing of interest is that even if you are using all full rare by level 4, you will still want to rapidly replace those items as you level up for stronger/better base items with better mods. Even if you're fully equipped in rares now, you will need to replace them eventually. And, once you hit level 25 and go to the next Area Difficulty, you won't be able to so easily/quickly replace gear. Plus, just being equipped in all rare may not be enough to survive (I'm tellin you man it gets hard!). Normal is meant to be easy, and I don't think that will change too much. But, I might lower try to set the end of normal to level 20, or something. Haha. We'll see what options are available and what I can do.

Also, I do know backpack drops need nerfed again.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback! It will be very helpful when I am balancing loot and spawn rates of things over the weekend.
(I mean I am putting in at least an hour in a day on week days but on the weekend I can do 12+ hour days on Saturday+Sunday. ;o)

edit: Oh, haha. I just remembered something and realized that this is the way the game is. Dull yellow items aren't rare. They are uncommon. . So, if you have full yellows, that's bad! Haha You want bright green and bright yellow items. I was confused about these drops myself until I tested today. I'll put some notes in. I know it's a bit confusing, but it's a lot more efficient when you get used to it. xD. If you hit full very rare items by level 4, then idk what you're doing because I only found 2 usable ones up to level 11.

4/22 edit: Made a lot of progress working on mod today. Expect patch today or tomorrow still. Very many changes. I'm really just play testing right now. Found a few minor bugs and have some feedback I'm going to post about when done.

Last edited by Destro* : 04-22-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:31 PM
Elite

------------------------------------------
Alpha v0.0.3 Patch
The second big update.
Introduction:

So, there are a lot of big issues tackled with this update. But, they are mostly centered around skills and items. And, once again, because I want to improve class balance and playability by as much as possible, I have made large changes to skills and items.

Disclaimer: Again, as always, I recommend not actually reading these patch notes. You may if you want, but it's just spoiler heaven. You've been warned!

Installation & Updating

Download Link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/69v16t...iteMoreMod.zip
(If you view this file in the future, the link may no longer exist).
Open up the compressed archive "ZombasiteMoreMod.zip" and extract the "assets005.zip" file into your [Your Steam Location]\steamapps\common\Zombasite\Assets
For me, it's: A:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Zombasite\Assets

Also, you need fresh characters to play this mod. So, I recommend backing up your Zombasite user folder and then deleting the chars folder inside of it!

For Windows 7 Users: C:\Users\[Name]\AppData\Local\Zombasite\User
For me: C:\Users\Donald\AppData\Local\Zombasite\User

Patch Notes:

* Damage Types:

Projectiles have always been way too strong. Being able to shoot out 8 projectiles at once is a literal 8x multiplier to damage output. And, it's not something that any other type of skill gets in the game. When you consider how multiple projectiles can make lightning arrow perma-stun, it really goes to show how good they actually are. In other words, projectiles are overpowered. And, being able to stack projectiles makes AoE skills, melee skills and inherently multi-projectile skills not seem very good.

So, what I've done is make the very difficult decision to nerf the projectile mod on items by 66%. Extra Projectiles in the hunter tree has been nerfed by 50%. I've also made other changes to balance the playing field out a lot, while giving each type of attack its own niche.

In regards to AoE spells, they are just bad beyond belief until mid-late game in all cases. And, the only reason they become good then is because you will be 1-shotting everything, so you really only care about their AoE properties. Basically, they just become clear speed enablers late game and don't have much other purpose. (The exception being earthquake because it doesn't have a cd ofc). So, yeah. Reworks:

AoE magic = Slow, mana expensive, powerful. If it has some kind of movement impairing effect, it's been skipped in this pass.
Single-Target Melee = Fast, Cheap, Variable damage (based on class theme).
Projectiles = Medium Speed, Medium Price, Low damage. (But, of course, they can still scale with multi-projectiles so they get the highest damage technically in the game. They just scale.)

General Skill Changes:

- Added mana regen to Sorcerer. (Conjurer didn't have mana regen at all, only mage class that didn't have some form of regen.)
- Convergence nerfed to 10% per level. (Tempted to go lower... but will do 10% for now. Don't want to kill off Shaman entirely, even though that's not possible I don't think).
- Holy fire damage down by 25% base and per level.
- Reduced the reuse time of mana regen to 1.0 seconds. (Again, as long as one can just log off to reset cooldowns, why have long ones? So, removed).
- Teleport CD removed. (Watched D2 sorc vid and remembered those days). Mana cost is now 100 per cast though, so very expensive . Also, costs 20 points!

- Holy Symbol
Goal: Long prayer is spoken before powerful energy is released. Priests are known for their long prayers... so thematic!
New Stats:
5 second cast time.
10 second reuse time.
Damage: 120-240 magic damage, 30-60 per level.
No mana cost because powered by holy energy.
Comments: My image for this spell is the priest closing his eyes while bringing his hands together in prayer. Then, once he opens his eyes, he extends his arms forward as a surge of holy power is released. This spell is intended to not be that good until you get cast speed. And, the cooldown remains because one can only gain blessings from the god so often.

- Volcano
Goal: Powerful, spammable AoE fire spell that does massive damage!
New Stats:
8 point cost.
Dmg: 45 - 140, 8 - 24.5
Power: 44, 3.4
Cast Time: 2 seconds
Reuse Time: 0
Comments: After playtesting it... it feels very strong, yet at the same time very balanced. It has just the right amount of risk and reward. Excellent!

- Ice Storm
Goal: Cold version of Volcano. Though, lower damage because of the utility inherent to cold spells.
Dmg: 40 - 120, 6.5 - 20
Power: 44, 3.4
Cast Time: 2 seconds
Reuse Time: 0

- Earthquake: Unchanged. Surprisingly, earthquake is pretty reasonably balanced. And, I don't want to ruin the theme of maintaining an earthquake.

- Death Rune: This skill always felt so out of place to me. The entire Reaper skill tree is melee focused, then you have this random magic spell. I've given it buffs in-line with Volcano/Ice Storm. But, I don't think it is very playable without making it super broken. Not going to put notes on what I did here, just read skill if interested. (Not very interesting)

- Hell Storm > Just copied volcano to be honest. Again, out of place. But, it's there. *shrug* In any case, npcs use these skills so expect some powerful npc spellcasting

- Flame Blade: Cast Time = 1.0 seconds. Reuse time has been set to 0. 50% as powerful.
- Immolation: 2 second cast time. No reuse time.
- All rouge attack skills are faster. Rouge's niche is now being very fast along with having high damage. Still a glass cannon that is probably unviable for HC. But, it's there.
- Projectile Mastery and Bow Mastery down 5% each base and scaling.
- Lots of cast time changes to all melee attacks. In general faster overall. Classes theme'd around swords are .8, daggers .66, heavy classes = 1.0.
- Regeneration's power is now mostly in the active portion. (Had put in passive before because I wasn't sure if it would make npcs op or something idk what I was thinking)
- Most active buff type skills have 1.0 second reuse times. Again, heavy shift away from cooldown times which can be bypassed by logging out and in. I want to reduce incentive to cheese by as much as possible.
- Fixed lich not having 5% max damage base. (was 3%).

---------------------
Item Balance:

Many item mods are restricted to different types. And, while this is good for the player, it actually reduces the chance that npcs will acquires these mods and be able to take advantage of them. So, I have made many changes to item mod spawning.

- Buffed all attributes mod to .2 per item level.
- Cast Time has no magic requirement. (Means it can spawn on any item). Halved power.
- Weapon Attack time ^ (this is really going to be good for npcs!)
- Mana Regen ^. Scales at .19 per level rather than .15.
- Critical Strike Chance ^
- Critical Strike Multiplier ^. Now goes from 10% to 30% instead of 50% to 150%.
- Durability ^.
- Movement Speed ^. (25 ms max per item at level 100).

This will flood the mod pool with new mods to make getting good items harder than ever. But, considering that all mods get +1 mod, this is a good thing. And, it also reduces your chance of getting cursed/ego/crystal, etc. So, I think these are really balanced, positive changes overall.

[TBC because I think I hit post size limit]
Old 04-22-2017, 08:31 PM
Elite

---------------------
Chest & Secret Room Balance:

Chests have always been too unrewarding in my opinion. This is fairly typical of ARPGs, though, so I can't say it's a bad call. But, in the MORE mod, we definately can't have that.

- Lower tier chests now provide slightly better loot. (Slightly).
- Massively increased spawn rate of high end chests while enabling many.
- Secret stashes are rarer and reward better loot. (Now you have much higher chance of skipping over them.)
- The bonus chests (ones with sparkles) now spawn at extremely low rates.
- I was testing chest spawns in town and wasn't really going to keep them in. But, it actually turned out to be very aesthetically pleasing. I always felt clan areas looked a bit empty, and this fixes it very well. So, chests now spawn rarely inside of towns. Think of it as the 'clan stash' if you will. It would be nice if I could restrict to only inside of clan walls but beggars can't be choosers.

As for secret rooms, higher tier secret rooms are more likely to appear. I could buff their occurrence rate, but meh. I decided against it. May I will change my mind in the future but for now I think it's fine with them being rare-ish.

---------------------
Ongoing Difficulty Balance:

With all of the changes in power levels to items and everything thing else in this patch, naturally, the game became easier. So, I made everything harder to compensate.

- Removed 50% monster stat reduction in normal mode. Set it to 20% increased now. 10% increased ms.
- Cruel is now +250% to defensive mods, +350% to damage. 30% increased ms.
- Elite is +600% to defensive mods, 800% to damage. 50% increased ms.
- Legendary is +1250% to defensive mods, 1500% to damage. 100% increased ms.
- Ultimate difficulties have had increases as well aligned with these changes.

Comments:
Normal mode is baby mode.
Cruel is man mode. It's actually quite cruel now. Good luck, you can do it though.
Elite is for veterans and true egoists. The ranks of those that can beat this mode are thinned heavily to reach this point. And, as for those that beat this difficulty, they are worthy of honor.
And, last, Legendary is the resting place of heroes. Only the greatest, truist legends will ever reach the pinnacle of this difficulty.
Ultimate = Realm of Gods. You cannot win. But, if you desire to test your build to its limits, then this is the place. Good luck and rest in peace.

---------------------
Progression Balance / Misc:
- Experience required up to level 25 is now 1/3rd normal. At level 25, it returns to normal. At 50, it's 50% harder. And, at level 75, it's 50% harder once again.
- Expedition Point cap set to 500.
- Can only take 3 recruits adventurering with you now. Town now starts with 7 people though. Max Raid size is still 10.
- Didn't document this before, but be careful of item color changes. Dull green/yellow are just common and uncommon while vibrant green and yellow are rare and very rare. You may be thinking this is a terrible decision, but trust me. I tried every color in the game, and this is the best. The default game doesn't distinguish between common/uncommon and rare/very rare. Turns out, it's pretty damn difficult to get a good color scheme to show these four rarities. And, while keep greens to commons and yellow to rares sounds nice, in practice, it feels very weird picking up dull yellow items that are actually better than vibrant green items. I am very open to feedback on this matter.
- Glacier (from Major Cold Imbued) has been nerfed in damage by 75%.
- Backpack drops nerfed by like 1,250%.

Feedback always appreciated!

I will be playtesting these changes more tomorrow, of course. ;o.

edit: After some playtesting, I recall I need to make a couple more changes. Reaper zombie resistance buff and a gold rebalance! I knew I forgot something. The gold rebalance is big. todo todo todo

Last edited by Destro* : 04-23-2017 at 12:02 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:39 AM
Champion

Well, same comment as before for me : too much of everything, make everything tasteless. Too many "good" items and too many chests, makes me lose interest on finding anything. Sure it's a matter of scales, if "rare" is the new "normal", then i should be happy to find an elite, but it feels quite, i don't know, unattractive ?

I'd prefer to find 0 to 1 chest per "map", with really tasty loot, but now it's more like 1 chest per screen, with overwhelming loot. I don't feel i want to spend time to compare them all one by one each time.

Also, should i start a new toon with each update, or i can keep the same ?

Anyway, it's my taste, i'd prefer less, but meaningfull, "everything".
Old 04-23-2017, 07:23 AM
Elite

@( Tchey )

Thanks for the feedback.

I think after playing you will see that there is a very real loot scarcity. Once mobs start getting strong (rank bonuses start to really scale and kick in level 10+), clear speed drops pretty fast and things get pretty dangerous. The 20% monster buff is actually very impactful.

Also, it's actually still way better to just rely on vendors to acquire items rather than rely on drops at all (except for mass slaying weaker mobs), which is a huge reason why I need to make changes to gold acquisition rates.

Also, right now for alpha, I recommend a new toon each update. You won't get everything that was changed to carry over onto existing chars if you don't. The requirement to make a new toon is going to be going away very soon, like, today or next week's patches at the latest as I am going to soon (hopefully) be moving away from large sweeping changes (like moving skills around) and instead, just doing number tweaks for refining. I just need to do more playtesting first.

edit: Ok, so ended doing the gold rebalance as well. Just playtesting my last few changes...

Last edited by Destro* : 04-23-2017 at 11:56 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:37 PM
Elite

Alpha 0.0.4 released

Spawn changes:
- Decreased amount of higher teir mobs that spawn on the surface during normal conditions.
- Increased monster ranks in various situations. (As it should have been before!). Dungeons have lots of higher ranks monsters.
- Made it so that one has to reach certain level thresholds before certain unique tier monsters appear. (Shoutout to ( Tchey ) who inspired this change, no more level 4 full rare ).
- Higher ranked monsters now have higher levels. (Demigod is +10 levels).

I will make more changes to spawn rates and settings in the future when I do my monster enchantment reworking. Look forward to it!

Gold Rebalance:
- Good news! All items are worth more than ever before!
- Bad new! All items now sell for only 1-3% of their value.

The result is that items are now actually really expensive. You might actually have to save up to buy one for a change! Yay!
Though a side effect of this is that some items are actually really freakin' expensive. And, thus, scavange for insane loot. I also flattened out the spawn chance of the various crafting orbs.
ENJOY!

Other:
- All healthstones now heal mana at half the rate of health. (I really would prefer to just replace clan hearthstone with a lifestone, but I have no idea. (I think it's level's file, but that's indecipherable, and clan healthstones are probably hardcoded anyway.))
- Value of crit mult down to 250 from 1000.
- Reduced weapon damage multipliers based on rarity. (Because I reduced cast time on so many abilities, have to reduce power creep).
- Set/Unique have same armor/damage mulitpliers now. Rescaled armor bonuses so that they scale better.
- Bonus chests and large gold chests can now only spawn in dungeons. Or at least, are supposed to only spawn in dungeons. The bonus and large chest may spawn above ground very rarely. (Not sure why they do but out of my control. Not a big deal though, just think of it as a nice find every now and then if you spot one. ) The higher tiered bonus chests are dungeon exclusive.
- Changed item color scheme once more. Common/Uncommon are now BOTH dark green. Rares are now light green. Very Rare is now yellow! Haha!
- Worlds can have 4 dungeons max. Chance of dungeon spawn down from 30% to 25%. (Will result in around 2x more dungeons).
Old 04-23-2017, 03:16 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destro* View Post
I recommend a new toon each update. The requirement to make a new toon is going to be going away very soon
Alright, so i will wait a little before starting again, and pass level 10 this time...
Old 04-23-2017, 07:02 PM
Elite

@( Tchey )

Sounds good.

----
I read the drox file again for how to create new entries, so going to try playing around with that on Monday and then plan out what I might create for next weekend. Would be cool to actually create new mods and stuff to put into the mod. I can't wait!

edit: Crap. Forgot all about my level limits. Have to add those in next patch I suppose, not a big deal to worry about. (cruel level 25 max, etc.).
----
Alpha 0.0.5 Patch Notes

- Set spawn chance of bag to 1.5. This is not getting changed again. They are already set lower than vanilla, and I think this has to be the magic number.
- Concentration skill now starts at 1. (End game is ruled by mana pots anyway *shrug* Might as well give it some use by helping early game.)
- Nerfed lowest tier bonus chest because I can't cancel its spawns. Dunno. Still amazing chest to get.
- Bonus chests will now spawn way less than before (with godly version being even more rare than rare!)
- 4 dungeons max per world, 30% chance to spawn each.
- Manually wrote in spawn chances for various rarities to the various areas to make sure that they always are correct. (was getting some weird results). Did a lot of testing again. Now everything should be working as intended. FORREAL this time. (TESTED HARD.)

Comment: The mod feels very much like what I envisioned at this point. A lot of the visible changes I want are here and working now correctly. I can safely say that the game will feel totally different as of 0.0.5. ;o

Last edited by Destro* : 04-23-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:05 AM
Champion

OK i didn't wait, haha... Like always, Loner, no clan, no siege, no zombie.

I started a new toon, Magician, Sorcerer (the lightning magic). Only played a little, to level 6, but it already feels better than previously.

Loot is worthy again, and i'm clearly not full stuffed already for my level, and i don't have all the bags i need yet.

Not sure if i like my class, but i can say i prefer this early balance for sure.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:42 PM
Elite

Just started testing out the ability to add content and... well... it works. Spectacularly at that, which is really interesting.
Well, that opens up a lot of possibilities.

The limit on skills hurts a lot, so I'll have to work around that quite a bit. But, I'm confident in my abilities to create hybrid abilities and I believe I can make it all work. My current plan is to release 0.0.6 early tomorrow and then start working on massive overhaul 3.

In any case, I am playing an energy shield mage up to level 36 non-HC and... wow. The difficulty is definitely there. If you slip up on your mana management, you're dead. Also, if you don't build up your defenses, you're dead. Very cool stuff! lol.

In any case, overhaul 3 will have more class balance. I want to make sure that each class has some type of defensive option available to make it hardcore viable... even rouge. And, I also want to play few more classes. So, because of that and my newfound ability to create, my pace may slow down dramatically again. Or it might not. Who knows!? In any case, 0.0.6 will be pretty stable for now as I play around with modding some more.

Edit: Ok I lied. Doing now.

Alpha 0.0.6 patch

- Now normal is levels 1-18, champion 20-38, elite 40-58, legendary 60-78, ultimate 80-100. Now, there are five difficulty tiers to go through. This design is way better because it lets the difficulty ramp up at a more steady pace. So, every 20 levels, the monsters become a lot more fierce until the culmination of strength at ultimate! GOOD LUCK!
Also, warning, the interface is a bit buggy. But, you can access all of the ultimate content from the second screen. Just consider ultimate 2 the new ultimate 3,
- Experience gain matches this scaling. Normal = 1/3rd exp needed per level. Champion = Normal. Elite = 25% jump, legendary 25% MORE experience increase requirement and ultimate = 25% more. Level 95+ is 25% more experience required per level. (Inspired by Path of Exile, level 100 is now hard).
- Good news! Combat experience mod is now unnerfed a bit. Instead of 30% max, you can get 50%. Yay! Also, the base is now 10%, with .4% more per item level. Exciting!
- Higher rank monsters have had their bonus levels reverted. Having level 10 monsters causes more issues than I thought (especially it bypasses my new level tiers). Besides, monsters are still strong enough as is.
- Durability now only spawns on weapons and armor. Huzzah!
- Another attempt has been made to get armor to spawn weapon speed. Probably won't work but meh.
- Scavanging now gives a fifth of what it did before.
- Removed some item level lines from mod that were a bit outdated and were causing bugs.
- Reworked Teleport again. Now costs 1 point to acquire and costs 100 mana per cast. But, each skill point invested reduces mana cost by 10. I was initially going to just make it cost 15 points to get and then you need 50 mana to cast... but this is way more interesting.
- Buffed concentration to 15% base and 15% per level. I have more mage changes on the way in the future... but consider this some mage love for now to get by with. Also buffs conjurer a bit, but meh, it's fair.
- Rebalanced item damages one more time. The difference in power between very rare and lower items is more even. Also, lowered artifact/legendary item power levels a bit more.

----
Edit: Working on 0.0.7. Managed to realize and fix a lot of issues with creating new content that I didn't know about and struggled with in the past. For example, it's imperative to have new strings in quotes for name/desc fields. I'm also a bit better at referencing things and have a lot of things organized better.

I have mostly worked on a huge mana overhaul for the game. And, I'm going to be bringing back glory to buffs soon. They are essentially permanent right now, which ruins the 'buff vibe'. And, the old design doesn't work because you can just relog to cheese timers. But, what if they just cost a lot of mana? This way, they can still be semi-permanent, but you need to have the mana required to cast the buffs. It will be nice to see how all of this mana overhauling works along with my new class rework ideas.

Last edited by Destro* : 04-28-2017 at 11:49 AM.