Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > News > News/Blog comments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2012, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Default RPG France interview

We have a new interview over on RPG France. This is a French site, but the original interview in English is about half way down the page. The interview covers Drox Operative, previous games, and Soldak in general.
Patreon
Old 06-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Elite

Wow! She must be a great fan of Soldak's games. She even has a Depths of Peril T-shirt! ...wish I had one. <sigh>
Old 06-04-2012, 06:45 PM
Champion

Thanks for linking the inteview. Enjoyed hearing more about the Lithosoid issues you had talked about a few days ago. Sounds like you made the wise choice ditching them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelLord View Post
Wow! She must be a great fan of Soldak's games. She even has a Depths of Peril T-shirt! ...wish I had one. <sigh>
Don't be too jealous, that's Delilah Rehm in the photo, as seen here:
http://www.soldak.com/Delilah/About.html

Also just now noticed you put up a Drox Operative Help article on your site, Stephen. I have some reading to do!
Old 06-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

I don't even have a Depths of Peril shirt. Delilah made one for a convention she was going to many years ago.
Patreon
Old 06-05-2012, 09:21 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by aReclusiveMind View Post
Thanks for linking the inteview. Enjoyed hearing more about the Lithosoid issues you had talked about a few days ago. Sounds like you made the wise choice ditching them.

Don't be too jealous, that's Delilah Rehm in the photo, as seen here:
http://www.soldak.com/Delilah/About.html

Also just now noticed you put up a Drox Operative Help article on your site, Stephen. I have some reading to do!
Oh, sorry Delilah. I just quick glanced at the shirt. I'd have recognized you if I'd have looked closer.

And, aReclusiveMind, don't read that stuff if you're going to be beta testing. (It's probably already too late). You'd want to come into the game not knowing anything to test it properly.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:24 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixelLord View Post
[...] don't read that stuff if you're going to be beta testing. [...] You'd want to come into the game not knowing anything to test it properly.
I must admit, I have skimmed through that guide; though I found most of the things it explains should be nothing new to people who have been following this forum and are familiar with DoP and Din's.
I'd say it's pretty safe to read for Soldak veterans... newcomers should definitely keep away however. From the guide, that is.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:44 PM
Elite

I can't read French!

Depths of Peril was such an adventure for us. We brainstormed the world together. I was just getting my writing legs under me, and when Steven wanted stories, I thought, "I'll write four for each Great War and he can pick one of each set of four that he likes." Little did I know that he'd want them all. IMO, some of them are just okay while some are amazing. You can really see my growth as a writer in a short span of time.

I thought about writing some stories for Drox. Not as much as Depths's, but I do have a few idea swimming in my mind. But. You know there's always a but. Life has been in the way more than ever. I'm finding it hard to get the basic writing finished, much less any extra.

Maybe once the beta is released, I'll have more time. Working temp jobs early 2011 and working what was supposed to be a part time job but ended up being a full time job plus overtime at the Post Office for five months (mostly over last summer), it about ate me alive!

Then came the game of catch up, since I couldn't do much of anything while I had that job. And more stuff and more stuff... Ending with the great kitten adventure which about killed me last week since I had serious deadlines to meet for other life things.

BTW, we love that kitten. (If you haven't read about it, we found a five week old kitten near a park.) The kids want to call him Fenrir after a Norse god in the board game Yggdrazzil. Fenrir in the game is an evil god. When his card turns up, the player has to roll to make him happy. Kitten Fenrir is the most feisty, cuddly, bitey, cute thing ever. He isn't afraid of anything. Did I mention he is bitey? Not to hurt, but like he's playing and you're another kitten. A giant, giant kitten.

Did I mention we don't know if we're keeping the kitten or finding him a home yet? I mean, we already have five cats! Two 2 yr olds and three 1 yr olds. Are we willing to go to six? Anyone want to place bets?

This post has gotten away from me. Guess I better get back to writing!

Last edited by Delilah Rehm : 06-15-2012 at 11:41 AM. Reason: spell check...
Old 06-05-2012, 02:37 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valgor View Post
I must admit, I have skimmed through that guide; though I found most of the things it explains should be nothing new to people who have been following this forum and are familiar with DoP and Din's.
I'd say it's pretty safe to read for Soldak veterans... newcomers should definitely keep away however. From the guide, that is.
You're right; most of it isn't new to veterans. But I don't want to let even veteran Soldak player's in on any of the new things if they are beta testing. That way, if something seems unclear and needs to be better explained, you guys will catch it, and Shadow will fix it.

I'm a big proponent of trying to get a lot of new people playing Soldak's games. That's the reason I've created any help pages for DC and now for Drox. Drox has a pretty high learning curve so I'll do what ever I can to ease that pain for new players. If new players become too frustrated because they are missing how key components of the game work, they may move on to something else. God forbid!
Old 06-05-2012, 11:22 PM
Champion

You make a valid point. I don't tend to make impulse buys as I like to know what I'm getting into. I read and research before I commit to something. I suspect this is due to a combination of side effects in my case. I had to learn to be tight with my money at times, and I also grew up in the era of computing when the instruction manual was always included and always read. Thus my curiosity to read the hints before the beta is even out. The impulse buyer isn't going to go looking for info, they are going to expect it to be right there in front of them. Going into the beta "blind" so to speak allows one to replicate that experience.

Lucky for you I was distracted while reading it and forgot most of what I read aside from the fact that I shouldn't make everyone mad or I'm going to lose. This is a side effect of my ever increasing age.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:20 AM
Champion

Thank you for accepting to answer my questions. We were very honored.