Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-15-2012, 10:07 AM
ShaggyMoose's Avatar
ShaggyMoose ShaggyMoose is offline
Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Back in Sydney!
Posts: 456
Default 2 hour impressions

I have barely started the game, but thought I would post my initial impressions while they are still fresh.

The Good

- As usual, the game loads fast and Alt + Tab presents no problems at all. Good to see.
- The presentation of the game feels sort of Buck Rogers. Not sure its really my style, but at least its cohesive.
- The ships designs are varied and detailed. They also go boom nicely.
- Multi-layered backgrounds are almost obligatory for a game such as this, but these ones are nicely done all the same. I assume there are different types, same as dungeon styles in DC?
- Being able to get and solve missions anywhere, anytime!

The Not So Good/Suggestions

- When on full zoom, the status bars cover the ship. They should be offset as they are when zoomed out, so you can appreciate the model!
- You can't put a waypoint on an object, only next to it. This is pretty unintuitive. If I want to go somewhere, I will click right on it.
- Sometimes when I have a set a course to pick up an object, shooting at something cancels my course. I don't see any reason to do that.
- A few sounds effects are a bit jarring, particularly the "radiation damage" effect.
- There is no "in range" indication when hovering the cursor over an enemy ship. I guess this might be hard because the game never knows which weapon you are going to fire. Maybe whichever one is currently in your quick fire slot?

Questions...

- Is there any way to tell whether equipment on the hotbar is installed until you try to use it? I couldn't work it out.
- If you have multiple escape pods installed, does this increase the chances of survival when your ship is destroyed?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Shadow's Avatar
Shadow Shadow is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 9,084
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyMoose View Post
- Is there any way to tell whether equipment on the hotbar is installed until you try to use it? I couldn't work it out.
- If you have multiple escape pods installed, does this increase the chances of survival when your ship is destroyed?
I don't think there is anything on the hotbar or highlight text that indicates that the component is installed or not.

I believe the only way that having multiple escape pods would help is if one of them is destroyed in combat, you would still have one available.
__________________
Steven Peeler
Designer/programmer
Depths of Peril, Kivi's Underworld, Din's Curse, Drox Operative, Zombasite, & Din's Legacy
Patreon
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-15-2012, 11:48 AM
Delilah Rehm's Avatar
Delilah Rehm Delilah Rehm is offline
Elite
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 734
Default

I think he means if one is destroyed while in your main ship, you still have the other, NOT that you get two chances in escape pods.
__________________
Delilah Rehm
Writer for Soldak
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-15-2012, 12:12 PM
kerzain kerzain is offline
Expert
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 66
Default

I just got done telling my wife how much I like the radiation damage sound effect. Stay away from it!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-15-2012, 01:55 PM
NefariousKoel NefariousKoel is offline
Expert
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 32
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyMoose View Post
- Sometimes when I have a set a course to pick up an object, shooting at something cancels my course. I don't see any reason to do that.

This is due to the settings in the Game Options panel. The option that stops thrusters, when you click, is on by default and says it should only work when the Thruster toggle is on (but it works either way). Turn that off and you should be just fine.

Experiment with the few control options at the bottom of that screen to find what's comfortable for you. I'm sure they'll make some control improvements as we've been giving them a lot of feedback on it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-15-2012, 11:15 PM
ShaggyMoose's Avatar
ShaggyMoose ShaggyMoose is offline
Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Back in Sydney!
Posts: 456
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I don't think there is anything on the hotbar or highlight text that indicates that the component is installed or not.

I believe the only way that having multiple escape pods would help is if one of them is destroyed in combat, you would still have one available.
When I posed this question, I hadn't actually been killed yet... Now that I have, I find it very hard to get away in an escape pod. If you have more than one installed, can they be launched out in separate directions to act as decoys? This might improve your chances.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-15-2012, 11:17 PM
ShaggyMoose's Avatar
ShaggyMoose ShaggyMoose is offline
Elite
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Back in Sydney!
Posts: 456
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NefariousKoel View Post
This is due to the settings in the Game Options panel. The option that stops thrusters, when you click, is on by default and says it should only work when the Thruster toggle is on (but it works either way). Turn that off and you should be just fine.

Experiment with the few control options at the bottom of that screen to find what's comfortable for you. I'm sure they'll make some control improvements as we've been giving them a lot of feedback on it.
Thanks, I tried that option and along with toggle thrust, it seems to be working better. One thing that does bother me with toggled thrust is when I click on a planet or a wreck or somesuch, I expect to go into orbit around the object. However, the thrust doesn't shut off and you have to toggle it manually.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2007 - 2019 Soldak Entertainment, Inc.