Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2012, 10:07 AM
Elite

Default 2 hour impressions

I have barely started the game, but thought I would post my initial impressions while they are still fresh.

The Good

- As usual, the game loads fast and Alt + Tab presents no problems at all. Good to see.
- The presentation of the game feels sort of Buck Rogers. Not sure its really my style, but at least its cohesive.
- The ships designs are varied and detailed. They also go boom nicely.
- Multi-layered backgrounds are almost obligatory for a game such as this, but these ones are nicely done all the same. I assume there are different types, same as dungeon styles in DC?
- Being able to get and solve missions anywhere, anytime!

The Not So Good/Suggestions

- When on full zoom, the status bars cover the ship. They should be offset as they are when zoomed out, so you can appreciate the model!
- You can't put a waypoint on an object, only next to it. This is pretty unintuitive. If I want to go somewhere, I will click right on it.
- Sometimes when I have a set a course to pick up an object, shooting at something cancels my course. I don't see any reason to do that.
- A few sounds effects are a bit jarring, particularly the "radiation damage" effect.
- There is no "in range" indication when hovering the cursor over an enemy ship. I guess this might be hard because the game never knows which weapon you are going to fire. Maybe whichever one is currently in your quick fire slot?

Questions...

- Is there any way to tell whether equipment on the hotbar is installed until you try to use it? I couldn't work it out.
- If you have multiple escape pods installed, does this increase the chances of survival when your ship is destroyed?
Old 06-15-2012, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyMoose View Post
- Is there any way to tell whether equipment on the hotbar is installed until you try to use it? I couldn't work it out.
- If you have multiple escape pods installed, does this increase the chances of survival when your ship is destroyed?
I don't think there is anything on the hotbar or highlight text that indicates that the component is installed or not.

I believe the only way that having multiple escape pods would help is if one of them is destroyed in combat, you would still have one available.
Patreon
Old 06-15-2012, 11:48 AM
Elite

I think he means if one is destroyed while in your main ship, you still have the other, NOT that you get two chances in escape pods.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:12 PM
Expert

I just got done telling my wife how much I like the radiation damage sound effect. Stay away from it!
Old 06-15-2012, 01:55 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyMoose View Post
- Sometimes when I have a set a course to pick up an object, shooting at something cancels my course. I don't see any reason to do that.

This is due to the settings in the Game Options panel. The option that stops thrusters, when you click, is on by default and says it should only work when the Thruster toggle is on (but it works either way). Turn that off and you should be just fine.

Experiment with the few control options at the bottom of that screen to find what's comfortable for you. I'm sure they'll make some control improvements as we've been giving them a lot of feedback on it.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:15 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I don't think there is anything on the hotbar or highlight text that indicates that the component is installed or not.

I believe the only way that having multiple escape pods would help is if one of them is destroyed in combat, you would still have one available.
When I posed this question, I hadn't actually been killed yet... Now that I have, I find it very hard to get away in an escape pod. If you have more than one installed, can they be launched out in separate directions to act as decoys? This might improve your chances.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:17 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NefariousKoel View Post
This is due to the settings in the Game Options panel. The option that stops thrusters, when you click, is on by default and says it should only work when the Thruster toggle is on (but it works either way). Turn that off and you should be just fine.

Experiment with the few control options at the bottom of that screen to find what's comfortable for you. I'm sure they'll make some control improvements as we've been giving them a lot of feedback on it.
Thanks, I tried that option and along with toggle thrust, it seems to be working better. One thing that does bother me with toggled thrust is when I click on a planet or a wreck or somesuch, I expect to go into orbit around the object. However, the thrust doesn't shut off and you have to toggle it manually.