Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Drox Operative > Drox Operative bugs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2013, 04:47 AM
Amateur

Default new issues with 8.1

since installing windows 8.1 i have it so if i have the game fullscreen and at the same resolution i have played at all along (1920x1080) it only display the top left 1/4 of the game client screen (dont know what they did but it also makes it so even set to the smallest size my steam client now takes up 80% of the screen). even more annoying (like infinitely) the cursor now drifts occasionally. its NOT a controller (i unplugged it in game and unplugged it then started the game not to mention that its disabled in options) issue either, itll sit there just fine most of the time but sometimes ill move to say debris and itll just keep "drifting" to the right or down.. any direction really, it seems almost random. tried cleaning the hell out of the mouse (RAT 7 MMO), flipped over the mouse pad (razer vespula), unplugged input devices (n52, orbweaver, hydra), and googled just to be safe, nothing seems to stop it.

help? because im not reinstalling windows again (it took like 8 windows 8 installs since its release to finally get it to a "good" state and now they completely fuck it up with 8.1.. consider also 7 out of those 8 installs were immediately followed by reinstalling win7 and re-tweaking the o/s each and every time).

also: the issue doesnt happen when im on my desktop or in any other game that i have noticed.. (granted i didnt try running all 500+ of them)

Last edited by megaflux : 11-04-2013 at 06:13 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:19 PM
Elite

Windows 8.1 has mouse issues. I have not tried Drox, but other games (and Steam) I installed on my laptop have misbehaved in pretty much the way you describe.

This ball is in Microsoft's court, not Soldak's.

Last edited by Tuidjy : 11-04-2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:25 PM
Champion

Microsoft Admits Windows 8.1 Update May Bork Your Mouse, Promises a Fix
http://hothardware.com/News/Microsof...romises-a-Fix/

An aptly named article
Old 11-04-2013, 01:06 PM
Elite

Windows 8 & 8.1 are Malware. Stick with Windows 7.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:57 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrax Lightning View Post
Windows 8 & 8.1 are Malware. Stick with Windows 7.
yea.. not going to be one of those fools with a cutting edge system running stone age software thanks. i have always laughed at the people still clinging onto xp asif it was the only sane thing in the world (an o/s hailed as "extra problems" soon after release) even after they fixed most of the issues with vista and released 7. 8 really isnt that bad once you use for example classic shell to kill the homo aspects of it.. oh did i say homo .. surely i meant metro... or not. it really does perform better, i just wish they would have sorted something like this out BEFORE releasing it.. i mean what is the point of having people test it for so long if NOT to stop this sort of thing from happening?

its fairly easy to blame microsoft, but the word i would use to describe the issue is "conflict" which is never a 1 way street ..(well ok, hitler and the jews.. but that was a bit more than a conflict) if it was happening with EVERY game i loaded than sure i would go there. again it doesnt even happen when im using my desktop, JUST in drox-op.

i have tried updating drivers, switching usb ports, etc. to no avail, looks like ill be playing something else for a while.

Last edited by megaflux : 11-04-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:17 PM
Elite

I have a number of PCs running everything from Win 2000 to Windows 8.1 (with the exception of ME) and am very, very familiar with the performance you can pull out of each operating system on different hardware. Windows 8 is definitely a step ahead as long as you get rid of the misguided user interface. (What the Hell were they thinking?!)

But I won't hear a bad word about XP. For the thousands of manufacturing/retail/warehousing companies that have old hardware that is hard or even impossible to replace without unbearable business disruption, XP is a very real option. It has been well updated (so far) and if you know what you are doing, you can run any device off it, squeeze every single bit of performance out of the hardware, and give it to one single application.

Modern high-end hardware is very well for running a gaming PC in your air-conditioned living room. For most working hardware, heat and high clock are a unaffordable luxury. Unix flavors and plain old C are running a lot more of the world than most people believe.

Last edited by Tuidjy : 11-04-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 07:22 PM
Amateur

its all fun and games until they really stop supporting it and every vulnerability that gets fixed in vista/7/8 is left wide open on xp.

speaking of games.. being that i am a gamer (if nothing else) i pretty much wiped and flushed xp a long time ago in favor of performance. i really dont care about machines that run spread sheets, i want 60 fps with tesselation and shadows maxed! not to say im a graphic snob or anything (i like drox!), but i do not buy pairs of 500$ video cards to run games in dx9, i dont have 32 gigs of ram for the sake of doing powerpoint presentations, and i dont use a 47 inch 3d display for the sake of making sure the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed in word documents.

so yea, i can laugh at the people clinging to xp. xp 64 is a driver disaster for the most part, and without that you are limited to a laughable amount of ram as a gamer. i also know for a fact that making games like final fantasy 7 run on it instead of Me involved MAJOR pains so it was never the foolproof o/s that people pretended it was (though it was nice not having to deal with modem init strings anymore). it served its purpose for its time, but if you arent a gamer chances are you should be using linux anyways. if you are a gamer that fact that you are still using it says you really arent much of one.

not that any of this has anything to do with my bollixed cursor or messed up init settings.. just saw that there was a response and got my hopes up.. and since i was here anyways...
Old 11-04-2013, 08:41 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuidjy View Post
I have a number of PCs running everything from Win 2000 to Windows 8.1 (with the exception of ME) and am very, very familiar with the performance you can pull out of each operating system on different hardware. Windows 8 is definitely a step ahead as long as you get rid of the misguided user interface. (What the Hell were they thinking?!)
Just tried to use Windows 8. I click on a picture. It shows the picture. Exit the picture and it goes to a screen with all sorts of picture apps that I have no wish to use. How do I get rid of the UI? (permanently)
Old 11-04-2013, 09:31 PM
Elite

I use Classic Shell, but it does a lot more than just get rid of the UI. You may want to check this page to start.

I am sorry if I am breaking the ToS of the forum by posting these links. I'll remove them if Soldak minds.

Last edited by Tuidjy : 11-04-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:18 PM
Amateur

yea i used classic shell too till 8.1, there are some guides (and im sure videos) on how to make it more friendly. first thing is probably get 8.1, after that get rid of the stupid sign in screen, and then get rid of "metro".

http://betanews.com/2013/08/27/autom...n-windows-8-1/

^is most likely what you want.

after that it mostly handles like 7. if for some reason you ever WANT to see the stupid "metro" screen you just put the cursor in the top right corner of the screen and choose the windows symbol (same to get back).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rai8a763USQ

^if you are too lazy to read

also: "right-click the game's icon, select Properties, select the Compatibility tab, and check the box next to Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" fixed both my issues magically.

Last edited by megaflux : 11-04-2013 at 11:39 PM.