Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Drox Operative > Invasion of the Ancients
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2013, 03:02 PM
Amateur

Default Trouble getting started -- advice needed

So -- admittedly I'm a terrible player in general (too old to have quick reflexes), but I've been able to play both DoP and DC with moderate success. I just can't quite get rolling with DO. Maybe it's the lack of classes to help guide my weak building skills, and there don't really seem to be any "build guides" posted here. Anyone have a solid, easy-to-follow path to even basic success (I get to about level 7-9, then just die every 10 minutes or so)? Or should I just resign myself to the fact that I just don't quite grok the whole system (I understand the win conditions; I've read the excellent getting started site stickied here; I just feel a bit out of my depth without a little more staying power in my ship). Thanks much -- love Soldak's games, but this may be the one I bought just to support them without playing if I can't sort out a better approach.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:07 PM
Elite

Just make sure you improve your ship (might take a little while) before you venture into new systems; but I think you've gotten past that. Sometimes you just have to run. Make sure you've got a mine equipped when you run into hoards of alien ships, and drop them while heading out of any system. You can go out forever, so you should survive. Also don't fly blindly into any hoards. You need to turn away from a hoard and just attract the attention of one or two at a time. Let them follow you away and then destroy them.

Hope this helps a little.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:11 AM
Expert

Yes i think the best answer is a bit leveling in lower systems. And mines or generally area-dmg weapons are naturaly great against hoards of enemy's.
Old 11-10-2013, 08:56 AM
Amateur

First -- thanks to both who have replied. You reminded me of things I know but haven't been doing (area damage and really being careful about not getting in the midst of a big horde). That alone is helpful. I do still wonder if anyone has a "formula" for a simple build -- not a surefire winner, of course, but a relatively straightforward to at least proceed.

Thanks again.
Old 11-10-2013, 12:17 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by barsoomian View Post
First -- thanks to both who have replied. You reminded me of things I know but haven't been doing (area damage and really being careful about not getting in the midst of a big horde). That alone is helpful. I do still wonder if anyone has a "formula" for a simple build -- not a surefire winner, of course, but a relatively straightforward to at least proceed.

Thanks again.
The EMP is a useful early game weapon, as is the Lightning Field.

What Race are ya playing as, & what's your current Weapon Compliment?
Old 11-10-2013, 01:23 PM
Expert

I don't find Drox to really be a reflex game, but here are a couple little things that I find to help.

Make sure you have a beam weapon. Some monsters are very hard to deal with otherwise.

Area weapons are definitely a good suggestion.

A possible alternative is a ballistic weapon - I find it quite helpful when being chased by a horde, because it will usually hit and typically does more damage than a beam. They're also good for non-moving targets.

Carry the various surges to replenish, especially energy and shields. The mix you need will vary a LOT with your equipment. The thrust boost is also very handy when you run into something you can't handle. Slot them all in your quick use slots.

Remember, too, that you don't have to keep all your equipment installed all the time. If there's something you find that is only useful in certain situations (like a manual aim ballistic) but really helpful in those, keep it around and install it only when you need it. This takes a little more work in managing your power load, and more inventory slots, obviously, but can be worth it. I will usually carry an auto repair device (for those annoying times when I get teleported by an anomaly deep into hostile space, mostly, and can't resupply) and sometimes an escape pod (for when I'm going up against a tough boss). That's harder to do before you get decent cargo bays, though.

Oh, and don't be afraid to pause to think, organize equipment, trade, etc. You can even take shots while paused. I bind pause to the space bar.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:33 PM
Amateur

As for what I'm playing, I've tried both Fringe (for the bonus engine slot) and Human (for the mine slot). I've generally equipped the best beam and EMP as I find them. Beyond that, I guess that I struggle to figure out how to raise crew points -- I see some recommendations to focus on command, but that quickly leads to an extremely slow ship. Do I raise things as needed to equip components only? And I live in fear of losing a sector if I don't move on to new systems relatively quickly -- is this a problem? Again, good advice so far -- I'll give things another try and see how it goes.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:22 AM
Expert

You dont lose a sector because you sit in only 1 system. You dont have to rush things.

What i like to do with crew points is to raise points if i need it there. Got better power plant? Raise Engineering. Found a better weapon? Raise tactical. Need more energy/energy reg? Raise engineering. It's not 100% efficent but i like it this way.

What i can suggest in addition, "debuff"-items like freezer item's or computer virus items. They can turn down the enemy's chances to hit you and dodge your attacks. The freezer item's also slowing the enemy down.

Oh with the crew point's you can also think about it to raise states if you "feel" it's time. Need more damage? raise tactical. And dont forget about components that raises defense and resistances. In my actual game i fly an shadow ship with shields only and i use high defense for dodge and an all-damage-resistance item + 3 items that gives me higher resistance in the damage areas kinetic, em and radiation the important resistances for a shield only ship.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:29 AM
Amateur

First of all sorry for my English, I don't have much practice with it.
First time I tried with Human. I raised everything but structural, and sometimes had problems. Was equipped with mines, ballistic and rockets. I was 30 lvl when read forum, and understood feature with equipping crew and having a better items.
Now I'm playing Scavenger, lvl 24. Spent my points only to command with keeping my speed 180-200. I'm using beam and fighters. And now I can't equip good items due to lack of helm, computers, engineering and structural. I began dying very often.
I want to continue with my Scavenger. Can you tell what are best strategies for me? I need advise about skills, weapon and equipment.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:56 PM
Elite

Мракобес... that's a name I would not use without caution.

In any case, there's nothing wrong you putting points only in Command with a Scavenger. You are building pretty much the best possible ship. The problem is that this path is very challenging - you need to have very good crew equipment, and well leveled crew, so that you can equip passive components well above your skill level.

If you have a lot of money, you can improve at least one of your crew equipment types by scavenging at a Scavenger planet. Roll the dice until you get components with the skills you need.

As for crew, make friends with the Drakk, and keep doing their racial service quest. This will certainly solve your helm problems, and if you are lucky, it will really help with your other skills as well. Let me expand on this:

1. Create level 24 sectors until you get one with a Drakk presence. If you have exterminated them in your current galaxy, start a new one.

2. Find all the races, and choose one that gets along OK with the the Drakk. Dryad is best, but Scavenger, Human, Shadow, etc... can be OK as well.

3. Using rumors make sure that Dryad goes to war with Drakk's enemies and vice versa.

4. Using rumors improve Drakk/Dryad relationship till they start improving it themselves. Usually 65 each is enough to get the ball rolling.

5. Start taking and solving Drakk quests. Those involve killing boss type monsters. Many of them will be boardable. If you have Marines, they are a great way to defray quest costs, and to even make money.

6. While doing the above, keep an eye on the power balance. You want to stomp on anyone who looks to be doing well against Drakk and Dryad, and you want to clear any serious problems Drakk and Dryad have: riots, civil wars, diseases, raids, oppressive bosses. Complete the quests, but only turn in the disease ones, so that you do not alienate the other races. Use the fact that you are not at war with them to sell all the loot from the recruitment quest's targets to races other than Drakk and Dryad. This way, they will be poor and weak, while Drakk grows rich on your cash.

7. Eventually, Drakk and Dryad will kill everyone else. Eventually, your solving recruitment quests will give you a legend victory. But by then, you will have dozens of Drakk crewmembers. You will be able to easily raise you Helm by slotting them into the numerous light slots you have received from pumping Command.

If you do enough quests, you will receive some rare Drakk who have skills other than Helm. It will take longer, but you will get enough of them to mount any component that you can find at level 24. When you've done that, your ship will be very, very powerful for its level.

I do this at levels 24, 48, and 74... Give this approach a try, it can be made to work.

Last edited by Tuidjy : 11-11-2013 at 03:01 PM.