Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Depths of Peril > Depths of Peril modding
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2008, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Well the monster names are in global.trn, but you may or may not want to translate those. The others look like they are not going through the translation system correctly. I'll fix these in the next patch.

Good catch btw. The game has been translated to 3 languages so far and no one has caught that bug.
Patreon

Last edited by Shadow : 08-11-2008 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Champion

No, i don't mean the monster names, i mean the text "Kill" and "completed"

There seems to be other text to translate hidden in some database files.

E.G. "Left click to change" in the Key Shortcut definition screen. I've found it in the "UI" folder.

Please collect all text which is ougth to be translated in only a few files in one folder. It's frustrating to play the game, found a already untranslated text bit (e.g. the delivery type of the delivery which has been poisoned; "food" or so), search for the text, translate it and play again etc. ,etc.

Can you consider this in an update or patch?

Other issue: sometimes you add the plural "s" or the counting "th" by your own, so i have no chance to translate it correctly.

Detlev
Old 08-12-2008, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, that's what I thought. Currently the kill and completed, in this one case, are not going through the localization system (it will in the next patch though).

All of the text is supposed to be in those few trn files or in the stories directory. Anything else is something I missed and will gladly fix in patches. So any of these you find, just point them out and I will fix them.

Assuming you turned off the plural stuff, where are you still getting an s appended?

As for the th, you can turn that off also in the layout.loc file, just change AddRankEndings to 0.
Patreon
Old 08-12-2008, 02:43 PM
Champion

Check this out (Popup windows)

Here the "open" command in the popup window for the map screen

Detlev

Last edited by DetlevH : 08-12-2008 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:35 PM
Champion

Hi everyone

I've been fooling around with a French translation since last week.

Oh the nostalgy trip! This is so cool, I'm back on my Amiga in the 90's hacking into the data files of the Bard's Tales trying to fit french words in the same space occupied by the english text; no more characters allowed This is fun, I Haven't been to the items yet so I don"t know how I will handle gender (similar problems than German I guess).

One thing that made it difficult is that sometimes a word is used in different contexts, for example the word "Trade" is used as a confirmation text on a button when closing an item transaction with a covenant; but it also appears as an option in the menu of interaction wiht merchant NPC's. Do you think there's a chance to separate those strings? Currently I have to use either a very literal translation like "Transaction" which is awful, but fits both, or something like "Offer" (in english) which coulmd mean here's my offer, and 'let's see whats on offer', do you see what I mean? i.e. "trade" is both "a trade" and "to trade" but it doesn't work in French

Can you add strings for the plural of numbers? Such as _st, _nd, _rd, _th, ?

I think these would work let's see: "1er", "2ème", "3ème", "4ème", etc. (well French is simpler here who would have thought !)

I liked the fact that some sentences used separate variables for the number and the "ending", because I could skip the ending in French, for example "5th level warrior", doesnt work well as a literal translation, due to word order, the equivalent (in English) of "Warrior of lvl 5" sounds better.

As a backwards compatible solution, I thought maybe you can add some control with special codes? Similar to the ^c124 color codes. So for example
"Warrior level ##1##^n+" could mean to add the ending, but
"Warrior level ##1##^n-" could mean explicitly not use the ending (because some vraibales in those strings currently have the ending sometimes but sometimes not)

I also added a little colour in some places for readability, do you have a list of color codes? (The numbers dont seem to be RGB)

Last edited by fab : 08-12-2008 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 05:57 PM
Champion

Oh sorry I almost forgot.

Regarding the word "covenant".

I've looked up the word in several dictionaries but it seems to always refer to a kind of treaty, but not to a group of people; or a place. Intuitively, I understand it in english, but I have difficult to make my mind on a translation in french.

The game seems to use the word as a "guild" or "faction", is that how I should translate it, or is it something closer to an "alliance"? (this one covers both the "treaty" and "group of people" terms).
Old 08-13-2008, 10:38 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by fab View Post
Oh sorry I almost forgot.

Regarding the word "covenant".

I've looked up the word in several dictionaries but it seems to always refer to a kind of treaty, but not to a group of people; or a place. Intuitively, I understand it in english, but I have difficult to make my mind on a translation in french.

The game seems to use the word as a "guild" or "faction", is that how I should translate it, or is it something closer to an "alliance"? (this one covers both the "treaty" and "group of people" terms).
I use the german word "Bündnis".

It's great to hear, that someone else is translating the game into another language.

If you want to profit from my expierences, here is the way i took

1. Translate global.trn
2. Play the game often and long in order to check the correctness of the translation
3. Translate items.trn, use the World of Warcraft (TM) item databases on the Internet for the correct names, there are some for german, maybe there are also some for french
4. Translate quests.trn, npcchat.trn and convenantdialog.trn (the last is less important)
5. Check the event window for the correct translation of quests.trn

The monster descriptions are not in this folder. I hope, Shadow will put them also there someday, so i will wait until this before i translate it.

Have fun!

Detlev

Last edited by DetlevH : 08-13-2008 at 11:55 AM.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:09 PM
Champion

Exclamation

Hi Shadow,

in quests.trn

the text

QuestAnnounceUniqueMonsterSpotted "##1## has been spotted in ##2##"

is in the event window

"<monster name>, a <race> has been spotted in <location>

the red text is added by the game. Please change that.

in quests.trn:

QuestAnnounceCrystalLoss and QuestAnnounceCrystalGain add a "s" to crystal, even with AddPluralEnding set to 0

the same is true for QuestProgressMonsterGroupFull and QuestProgressMonsterGroupPartial

Detlev

Last edited by DetlevH : 08-13-2008 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:30 PM
Champion

Hi DetlevH, thanks for the tips!

Yeah I started with global.trn as well. Actually I swapped step 1 and 2 because at first I had no idea where some text was used so I just translate along as I play. Eventually I'll have to do 1-2 like you. So basically I translate the most common text I see as I play first, then will have to fill in the rest.

Thanks for the WoW tip. I was looking into Diablo french community sites to see how they translated some items. There is also Guild Wars (I was curious to see how they translated "reward chest' for example).

I wouldnt use any names of uniques or sets from those games though.

Items will be hard. I already pulled my hair after 5 min into the file trying to find unique translations for "hand axe", "hatchet", "axe" and .. "one handed axe". AAaAAAARGH

I also checked Wikipedia for help but often there is no French version of the page, though the German version is more frequent.

Yeah covenant dialog sounds like fun, I think we need to keep a different personality for each covenant (they each have their own version for all the replies).

Quote:
5. Check the event window for the correct translation of quests.trn
You mean the quest screen? Ok.

Quote:
The monster descriptions are not in this folder. I hope, Shadow will put them also there someday, so i will wait until this before i translate it.
You sure? There is also a bunch of files in the /Stories folder you need to unzip it as well, all the .txt files. Then there is a subfolder also for "Heroes", "Monsters", "Races", "Villains".

Quote:
Have fun!
Thanks; you too. I do, but sigh, I wish I hadnt known about this until I played a good while. I just cant help myself to switch to deskop and change some text every minute or so >_<

But.. it's really nice to read in one's native language. I've become so used to english I think in english very often. But there's no denying that when I read the text in my native language the words just have that extra flavor..

How did you manage the item translations in German? Does German use a similar word order ? This look like its gonna be a real problem in French. As you pointed out there is the problem of gender.

I had some ideas for Steven for allowing gender "inflections" in the files with some extra codes, but I'll wait until I have a good grip of the issues and specific examples. Global.trn isn't too much of a problem.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:04 PM
Champion

Hi Steven

Could you add the covenant name into the strings (##n##) :

CovenantsLifestoneInDanger
CovenantsLifestoneIsThreatened

There is no xxx 's yyy possessive construction in French, so short of that, I have to use a unusual phrasing equivalent to:

COVENANT NAME voit leur pierre vitale menacée

(i.e. I'm phrasing "COVENTANT NAME sees their life stone threatened" which sounds strange, but grammatically correct, in French)

Ideally it should be :

La pierre vitale de COVENANT NAME est menaçée!

La pierre vitale de COVENANT NAME est en danger!

Thanks