Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Demon War BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2011, 03:09 PM
Champion

Default Town NPC cash, happiness, equipment

Some players have reported that the happiness-driven quests don't show up as much or at all above level 50, so I was thinking that perhaps the flow of money inside the town is helping this problem.

Is it possible for NPCs to use vendors? Since equipment cost scales into lategame, this should sponge money out of the NPCs (and into the vendors) and allow them to equip themselves and hold assets they can sell off if they start running out of money.

Further, specifically regarding the starvation quests, the steward is supposed to be controlling supplies etc, so he could give people (he likes) food even if they have no money; retain the happiness loss because it's crap food or NPCs don't like receiving charity or whatever.

Do the price-affecting statuses affect NPC prices? If there are supply problems or infestations, does this require more NPC cash? Do they actually buy 'food' items, or do they just trade one number for another?
Old 01-22-2011, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnakotus View Post
Do the price-affecting statuses affect NPC prices? If there are supply problems or infestations, does this require more NPC cash? Do they actually buy 'food' items, or do they just trade one number for another?
Yes, if food prices are up that will effect the NPCs money.
Patreon
Old 01-22-2011, 06:49 PM
Champion

Cool. Can the NPCs own items beyond the four slots of their armour?
Old 01-24-2011, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnakotus View Post
Cool. Can the NPCs own items beyond the four slots of their armour?
No, just those 4 slots.
Patreon
Old 02-06-2011, 11:58 AM
Elite

We should have some way of increasing happiness (however slight) with specific townpeople, other than waiting for a random quest.

My character had just cleared the lowest level/finished last quest, when the apothecary decides to spread plague in the town. Massive happiness debt, and unfortunately the plague cure required 13 claws from creatures that only appeared in the lowest level. Before that level respawned, the apothecary got in some fights and eventually got booted. The town quickly had plagues, poison, vendors fighting, etc. while I wait for a new apothecary to show up.

I just needed some way to get the (original) apothecary a little happier (stop fighting!), but once the downward spiral started, there was no way out.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:13 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bak View Post
We should have some way of increasing happiness (however slight) with specific townpeople, other than waiting for a random quest.

My character had just cleared the lowest level/finished last quest, when the apothecary decides to spread plague in the town. Massive happiness debt, and unfortunately the plague cure required 13 claws from creatures that only appeared in the lowest level. Before that level respawned, the apothecary got in some fights and eventually got booted. The town quickly had plagues, poison, vendors fighting, etc. while I wait for a new apothecary to show up.

I just needed some way to get the (original) apothecary a little happier (stop fighting!), but once the downward spiral started, there was no way out.
Agreed. I'd say rather than modifying happiness at will, the town quests need to take a backseat to the main fight, which is against the dungeon. Maybe every time you make headway in the dungeon (like killing a boss or stopping an uprising) the NPCs should get a surge of happiness.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:21 PM
Elite

All you people who want LESS action above town, say the word and I'll upload my save files lol.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:27 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
Agreed. I'd say rather than modifying happiness at will, the town quests need to take a backseat to the main fight, which is against the dungeon. Maybe every time you make headway in the dungeon (like killing a boss or stopping an uprising) the NPCs should get a surge of happiness.
This is a good idea.

The town NPCs seem to get grumpier as you go along probably because you are concentrating on important stuff - instead of like mining ore or avenging the death of a loved one or ...
Old 02-07-2011, 02:20 AM
Legend

In addition to that idea, here are some more:

- When a traitor does something against the town, a roll is made to see how many things he does. This way, we don't get into the constant situation where the town is cursed, plagued, trapped, poisoned AND has a gate all the time. This is bad for a few reasons, one of them being that the experience becomes uniform and mundane. Instead, the town should ONLY be cursed or ONLY be trapped, and the experience will change depending on the game.
- Another thing that's not good (IMHO) is that it's so likely for poison to move from water to food and vice versa. This is another way the experience is made uniform. This should be possible, but extremely unlikely.
- Renegades should be rare (unless there's another renegade already recruiting bad seeds, in which case they'd be more common). It makes no sense from a narrative POV to have half the town become renegades or get booted out. Currently, when I see an NPC behaving badly, I know the spiral of behavior leading to him becoming renegade/being kicked out is unavoidable. It's just a matter of time (usually very little time). There should be things along the way to stop him from going renegade. One possibility is that he get happiness from quests being fulfilled as discussed above. Another is that other town members fighting him would make him fearful, at least if he's losing. This would potentially allow you to beat him up a little to get him in line (leading to situations of 'oops I killed him'). Fines should also dissuade him from doing more bad things, not just make him poorer and more unhappy.
- More objectives should be optional. A town should be able to live with a curse or with a renegade. Also, because so many machines are now possible, hunting them down can be a pain. If you accomplished the main objectives of the dungeon, the way should be clear to leave. Even better, make whether some objectives are optional be random. Some towns will be fine with a fog machine, others will hate it.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:06 AM
Amateur

Unless there is an active "briber" - there really should not be many people actively betraying the town (poisoning, cursing, selling secrets). For 2 of my towns, its like 3/4 of a town had tried to poison/curse their town - one had active "briber" and one didn't. Killing the active "briber" seem to make no difference in the amount of treason going on. Even with an active "briber" when the "briber" is dead this sort of behavour should go way down. Its funny I have had many more cases of betrayal from NPCs than simple stuff like stealing.

It would also be good to allow the dumb ass NPCs who betrayed the town to starve to death without rep penalty. It would be even nicer to add a star next to their name - to remind us. I get really tired of "blah-blah is starving," when it was self-inflicted.