Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2012, 03:03 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTraveler View Post
- Unstable Wormholes

My honest feeling is that there's a little bit too many of these. Even with all the new effects added to anomalies, it still feels like "unstable wormhole" is what I get almost half the time. I'm to the point where I don't touch anomalies unless I have absolutely nothing else to do.

Shadow, do you remember the shrines from Diablo 1? Remember how many players simply stopped examining shrines because of all the negative effects? That's how I feel about anomalies.
I haven't found that to be the case, myself -- I'm often looking to get a Legend win (or keep that & diplomatic win as possibilities...), and I routinely search anomalies. Far less than 1:10 are unstable wormholes, and most of those keep me in the same system. We may be back down to "Darn those random number generators!" -- but I have not been avoiding anomalies -- I've been actively seeking them out. *shrugs*

Quote:
Then we have those wormhole effects that are on screen and not part of anomalies. I take great pains to avoid them, but it doesn't always help. Sometimes, all I have to do is just look at one of those things and suddenly I'm in some far away sector, grumbling as I search for the warp gate so I can get back to what I was doing.
OK, I'll agree that those OTHER suck-you-in wormholes seem to have too large a "suck-in" radius -- it's larger than their actual graphic, I think... See, I AVOID those, because I *know* they're going to take me out-of-system....without a way of getting back. Unless I'm bored in my current sector... lol There's no upshot of getting caught in one of those....where at least there's a bunch of bonuses to checking out random anomalies.

Quote:
Sometimes, I swear I've been sucked into an unstable wormhole when I was just flying over empty space. Very rare when that happens. Each time, I was flying at top 200 speed, so I'm not exactly sure what caused it.

Is it possible to get an unstable wormhole when examining a derelict ship or space junk? I can't remember for sure, but I think it's happened a couple of times. If so, then it's ridiculous.
Yes -- I've been surprise-wormholed (the wormholes you *can't* see or avoid) when checking out junk, when next to a planet and just hitting my thrusters, etc. No need to be flying fast through space to suddenly find yourself randomly *somewhere*.... that's different from pocket-universe types of wormholes of course. These are frustrating.

If you're at 200 speed (or on the purple pill...), I'll bet you just can't see the more subtle visible ones....

Quote:
If you're looking for a way to aid/encourage exploration, then why not use something different like, "you found part of an ancient galactic map, showing you the location of X solar system" - Something along those lines. Doesn't reveal fog of war in the solar system itself, except for showing a planet or two (just enough to try and catch one's interest). Maybe make it something that can happen only a certain amount of times, depending on the # of solar systems in the sector. Could also be a tool to use, say if a player has been going for quite a while yet still has some solar systems they missed. "Oh hey, look at that."
First question: Why so many unstable wormholes? (not sure it's to encourage exploration... may just be a Janeway reference... ) I don't think there's that many unstable wormholes in ANY scifi genre I've ever seen..... If Voyager got sucked away by 3 wormholes in the pilot episode, I think you'd have less viewers... It's nice once or twice a game. Or in the cases (anomalies, visible wormholes) where you can seek it out yourself if you're bored... Otherwise, it's played...

then: Is there another device better suited to the purpose? (whatever the purpose is).

I've got another long log of commentary from this weekend, including a new newb's feedback... getting my friends to try the game
Old 09-09-2012, 04:23 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisses View Post
I haven't found that to be the case, myself -- I'm often looking to get a Legend win (or keep that & diplomatic win as possibilities...), and I routinely search anomalies. Far less than 1:10 are unstable wormholes, and most of those keep me in the same system. We may be back down to "Darn those random number generators!" -- but I have not been avoiding anomalies -- I've been actively seeking them out. *shrugs*
Simple. You seek them out as part of your game strategy. I avoid them because they get in the way of my game strategy. For you, one isn't enough. For me, it only takes one.

Quote:
If you're at 200 speed (or on the purple pill...), I'll bet you just can't see the more subtle visible ones....
That's what I figured. Probably just got distracted by some monster ship and didn't quite see it. Still, with wormholes everywhere.. hidden ones, visible ones, even as part of space junk. Just goes to show it's a wee bit too much.

Quote:
First question: Why so many unstable wormholes? (not sure it's to encourage exploration... may just be a Janeway reference... )
I think Shadow's the only one who can truly answer this.

If it's a Voyager reference it would explain why they're so annoying, since Voyager was the most ridiculous and annoying Star Trek series. Sometimes I'd swear they were purposely looking to create more plot holes, just so they'd have an excuse to show off 7 of 9's butt just one more time.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:26 PM
Expert

Small issue: exporting to vBulletin is giving me a text file over 15,000 characters long, which is too long for these forums.

Not sure how to fix that one. Maybe make the component info simpler?

EDIT: I'm not even at max command level yet, so there'd be about 4 more components that would be listed when I hit that.

Last edited by PrimeIntellect : 09-09-2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:09 PM
Elite

This weekends frolics:

Bugs:

1) Repeat: "Hidden within the anomaly were some ship components." and nothing happened. Intermittent bug...

2) There are times that I'm killing creatures in space along with a race (Lithosoid) -- I take 3 shots hurting the monster, the Lith ship finishes it off, and I don't get credit/XP/or relations (I don't have pacts with the race, though -- but I was helping it kill things…). Thought this was odd.

3) When open stash first - then inventory - inventory cargo bay slots can end up behind the Ship Components panel.
Not sure there's a good way to change this.

4) Selling something makes the money sound even when they can't afford it.

5) Dryad declared war on Hive, but they're sending tourist ships to Hive…cruisers & etc. that just go to the planet, and fade away…. (it's like those ship were already on their way there from far far away, and the change in diplomatic status didn't affect them. Eventually some dryad battle ships came and wiped the hive out...but it took a while.)

Requests:

6) Some way of the text for activation-only items to make it clear that they need to be activated? It blends into this long stream of text…newb's (even I) can miss it...

7) Energy gained when hit items vs. when successfully hit items. Don't specify whether you are getting hit or you are making the hit on a critter. Please find a way to explain this, because I'm not clear when I'm deciding which items to use.

8) On the (R)elationship screen, all-race view: Can we see a green + on races when we can offer them new tech &/or planet data?

10 ) Message: An uprising of XX are planning a raid. In which system? Which race is reporting it? "Drakk have discovered that minor schisms are planning a raid in Lux."

11) Planetary-Cosmetic Component: "Severely lethal" weapons is an oxymoron. Can you have "Slightly lethal" weapons?

12) Can we set the message decay rate on the screen so messages "go away" faster? Maybe a slider like the one for Tool Tip Delay? I know I can change how many are up at once, but that's not the same thing as getting them to go away faster.

13) Not sure I mentioned this: Since the game is already programmed so that quests can place markers on the map, maybe the way to "share" multiplayer map info (where planets are, locations of jumpgate & starlanes) is another symbol on the maps? Just a thought on a potential work-around…

Breaking up Monotony:

14) Maybe we need a deathstar boss somewhere? Some people have asked for big boss battles -- Maybe in addition to the Challenge levels, we could have Big Bad Boss levels? Some with big monsters, some with deathstar-like baddies that are twisted champion ships of an evil-ized race (like the Big Bad Brunt, or the Deadly Dryad…)….

Last edited by Crisses : 09-09-2012 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Clarification.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:14 PM
Expert

Also, not sure if this has been fixed yet (or if it's even a problem?), but I was just reminded that I thought I had noticed that energy leechers trigger on each tick of DoTs that are affecting your ship. This seems like it's not how it should behave.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherjoe View Post
I'm playing Fringe. I've installed Excellent Light Plating (Medium, Normal, requires 7 struct). My Structural attribute is 7. Armor Plating reads as 0/60. Repair Structure at planet doesn't change it from 0/60.
You need to use the repair component or repair all buttons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTraveler View Post
Even with all the new effects added to anomalies, it still feels like "unstable wormhole" is what I get almost half the time. I'm to the point where I don't touch anomalies unless I have absolutely nothing else to do.
Just a hint since I'm not sure anyone has noticed, but the color of anomalies matters quite a bit.
Patreon
Old 09-10-2012, 11:58 AM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Just a hint since I'm not sure anyone has noticed, but the color of anomalies matters quite a bit.
Actually, I did. I noticed that I got it with the yellow ones. Still, there wasn't anything indicating that I wouldn't get it from the other anomalies. So I simply avoided them all. After all, you get unstable wormholes from nearly everything else.. even space junk. So why take the chance? See what I mean?
Old 09-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Expert

For me the Anomalythingyproblem is fine, i use anomaly's only if i have no quests or anything other.

I get maybe a new bug, i dont know it's a problem for the ki but i have found colonyships without colonymoduls.(Fringe maybe not need the moduls? xD)

And it's possible that races with only a really few planet's, give the player more "colonize-job's"? And for all colonize-job's not in feeling 10 systems far away from the last system of the race.

Oh another one, i have seen a freighter that spawnd and immediately despawn in the same planet and make's credits. It's strange.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:31 AM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
You need to use the repair component or repair all buttons.
I tried hitting all of the repair buttons. I just get a message stating "Nothing needs to be repaired.". All other armor plating I've gotten in the game repairs without any problems.

Also if this particular armor is installed and I get a boost to armor regeneration, you can see a sliver of armor flashing on and off and sometimes the vocal message will play regarding armor being depleted. The armor plating regen stat on the character sheet reads 0.0 without the temporary bonus.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherjoe View Post
I tried hitting all of the repair buttons. I just get a message stating "Nothing needs to be repaired.". All other armor plating I've gotten in the game repairs without any problems.
Ok, that's kind of strange. You could email your save game and I could take a look at it.
Patreon