Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Kivi's Underworld > Kivi's Underworld game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2009, 11:07 AM
Amateur

Default Strategy guide or post for Permanent skills?

Hi guys,

I was looking through the forum and I could not find any posts so far on strategy towards how to spend your Permanent skills points. (the ones you buy at the main menu that affect all characters. ie: Offense, Defense, Health, Mana, Active Skill, Passive Skill)

I was hoping to get some advice from you guys on this. I am a bit more nervous spending my permanent skill points as I don't yet fully know the mechanics of the game and if any one skill is dominant over another. Especially when these permanent points affect all your future characters.

So here are my questions:

1) Can anyone comment on the permanent skills, and how (in your opinion) would be the best way to spend those points? Should the points be balanced equally, spread out to all the skills? ie: Spend points until you have 1 in each, then 2 in each, then 3 in each ect? Or is there any one or more skills in particular that should have more focus overall?

As I don't know the mechanics of the game, there could be skills you guys consider less effective and not to waste points on , or contrary another skill that is very powerful and should have a higher focus.

2) Can points be removed from a skill once bought? If so, this makes it less of a concern, as I could always remove it and put it somewhere else. Otherwise if not, then this post becomes even more important and to be sure I make the correct choices at the beginning and throughout. Especially when these points will affect all future characters I unlock.

Thank you very much,
Zanatar.

Last edited by Zanatar : 01-01-2009 at 11:11 AM. Reason: minor corrections
Old 01-01-2009, 03:24 PM
Amateur

I've found thus far that a balanced spread seems effective. With the different characters, sometimes you want to focus on their passive skill, sometimes the active, sometimes basic attacks. I've been simply upgrading all the skills equally and using the skill bonuses within the levels to customize for the given character.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:30 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtheprophet View Post
I've found thus far that a balanced spread seems effective. With the different characters, sometimes you want to focus on their passive skill, sometimes the active, sometimes basic attacks. I've been simply upgrading all the skills equally and using the skill bonuses within the levels to customize for the given character.
QFT.

Unless you're never going to switch characters and you're only using ie. the warrior throughout the entire game you will need every skill at some point or another. Individual skill choices (as per character) can be done with skill-ups found in adventures.

Additionally, since the cost to raise a permanent skill increases with the skills level, it does seem to be more cost effective to simply balance the skills out (eg. raising one permanent skill to 5 costs as much as raising two to 3 - if I'm not mistaken).

Hope this helped.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanatar View Post
1) Can anyone comment on the permanent skills, and how (in your opinion) would be the best way to spend those points? Should the points be balanced equally, spread out to all the skills? ie: Spend points until you have 1 in each, then 2 in each, then 3 in each ect? Or is there any one or more skills in particular that should have more focus overall?
I'm not sure there is a correct way really. The system does push you to diversify since each level costs more. While testing sometimes I focused on just the active/passive skills, sometimes I put points into everything evenly, and sometimes I boosted all of the offense stuff and ignored defense type things. All of them seemed to work fairly well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanatar View Post
2) Can points be removed from a skill once bought? If so, this makes it less of a concern, as I could always remove it and put it somewhere else. Otherwise if not, then this post becomes even more important and to be sure I make the correct choices at the beginning and throughout. Especially when these points will affect all future characters I unlock.
There is not a way to remove your points.
Patreon