Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Kivi's Underworld > Kivi's Underworld game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2009, 11:16 AM
Amateur

Default Finding the hidden secrets.

I have played through 2 levels so far, and I have replayed the first mission 3 times now, and I always finish with 2 secrets missing. I was extra careful to be sure that I clicked on all the walls as I progressed. What I am doing wrong?

Questions:

1) Do you guys have any overall strategy when it comes to finding the secrets?
Maybe a strategy what works better then just going click crazy on all the walls, as that's what I've been doing, but still leaves secrets undiscovered.

2) I realize this next question may be considered cheating but, is there any way of knowing where these secrets are on each level? A web site that has the locations mapped already or something like that?

But it's not really cheating. Pretty much most games have web sites or Walkthrough's that explain where all the hidden secrets are. Just look at any Prima Stategy guide books, that list stuff like that with full maps in their guides.

I think my problem is that I am concentrating to much on the secrets and it's pulling me out of the flow of the game, to progress further. I guess I'm being a bit over obsessive on finding the secrets It's just that it really bugs me to leave them undiscovered.

Thanks, Zanatar.

Last edited by Zanatar : 01-01-2009 at 11:19 AM. Reason: adding additional text
Old 01-01-2009, 12:43 PM
Expert

Highlight to read. Possible spoilers?

I understand how you feel about finding secrets, I've beaten the game once and some secrets are easier to find than others. I have not found them all yet. It depends on the level. Some hints I can give you are looking for different colored wall segments (a piece of wall looks a different color or shape than the surrounding wall). Looking at the minimap and looking at black areas may sometimes provide a hint as to where a secret passage may be. Super secrets are the hardest to find. The biggest hint I can give is to look for abnormalities or unique features in the level.

There is a thread of level layouts including secrets that others have posted.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:40 PM
Amateur

If you really want to find all those secrets and don't mind a little cheating, there are two more ways to "find them all". One is to use the level editor (simply search the board for info's on how to unlock or enable the editor) to look at the map you're playing and find what you've missed so far, the other is to increase the MaxZoom entry in user.cfg to something like 3.0, zoom out all the way and see literally everything since the gray fog of war (and the blackness of unexplored territory) is only overlayed to a certain range, if you zoom out and see more than that it's all de-fogged and with a bit of running around you should be able to find all the secrets.

Other than that see the reply above for legit ways to find secrets.

Hope this helped.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:13 AM
Elite

Hi Zanatar. Welcome!

Here's some advice I'd give you (I also can't let secrets go).

The nice thing about KU is that you go back and play a level as many times as you want. Your initial score doesn't matter. You can just play it again to improve it and it will override your first score. I would suggest playing a level all the way through and not worrying too much about the secrets. That way you now have a much better idea of what to expect and you can enjoy the level first for what it is.

Then, go back and search for the secrets--or beat the game, then go back and "comb the desert".

The best tip I can give you to find secrets is that generally they are same graphic on each level. (yes, there are of course exceptions, though more often in later levels) If you find one secret, look for that graphic again. The other is that most often (yes, there are of course exceptions, though more often in later levels) the secrets will occur in the same type of environment. If you are in a level that has some brick sections and some cave sections and you found a secret in the brick section, they're probably all going to be in the brick section.

I hope this helps!
Old 01-07-2009, 03:13 PM
Elite

If you want to be cheap, travel by clicking along the edge of the wall. If you get a "door" notice at the top of the screen, you found something.

A lot of levels you can be smarter than that, and just look for the wall pieces that look out of place. Sometimes they'll be a little off color, sometimes they'll be big and blocky in an region with mostly small pieces.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:38 PM
Amateur

Thanks for all the advice, so far I've managed to find all the secrets to date.
I'm currently on the 9th level "Gore Hole" . So far so good

I do like torikamal's Idea of doing the level once without worrying about it. I may just do that.

Thanks, Zanatar.