Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2012, 04:21 AM
Elite

Default Kinetic weapons lack identity

I haven't yet found a real reason to use kinetic-type weapons (rams, railguns) over beams. Beams are fast and missiles are far-range (and sometimes oneshot things). Kinetic weapons have the same range as beams and rarely ever oneshot things. They're also non-instant and slightly less useful against groups?

I know beams are supposed to do less damage at further distances, but if this is happening it doesn't seem to be affecting me much.

They're also slightly worse for energy, since leechers are per-hit.

Why would I use kinetic weapons?
Old 08-21-2012, 04:58 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumpy View Post
I haven't yet found a real reason to use kinetic-type weapons (rams, railguns) over beams. Beams are fast and missiles are far-range (and sometimes oneshot things). Kinetic weapons have the same range as beams and rarely ever oneshot things. They're also non-instant and slightly less useful against groups?

I know beams are supposed to do less damage at further distances, but if this is happening it doesn't seem to be affecting me much.

My kinetic weapon outranges any beam as far as I know. But my preferrance to kinetic weapons is because I'm Shadow and get a kinetic damage bonus while cloaked...
Old 08-21-2012, 12:35 PM
Expert

I'd love a rapid-fire ballistic weapon, like a vulcan cannon (the gatling type weaponry, not the Star Trek race :P), just for cool purposes. Low damage, super high right of fire, great for taking out smaller targets or finishing off crippled ships, as well as used as a poor-man's flak in a pinch. One of the weaknesses might be that it had to be used at very close range to be effective.

I do wish the weapons were a little more distinct and served different roles. Missiles are long range, but I'd love it if that had a small splash around them (not like a torpedo, but a little something). Kinetic weapons could be devastating to armor while energy weapons would deplete shields more quickly, that sort of thing.

This might just be a me thing and maybe is too big of a change at this stage, but I'd love if some missile/kinetic varieties had less energy usage but required ammunition to fire. These could be useful on a high tactics / low engineering build, but you'd run the risk of depleting your ammo, especially if you fall through a worm hole and are far from home.

Last edited by goodgimp : 08-21-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgimp View Post
This might just be a me thing and maybe is too big of a change at this stage, but I'd love if some missile/kinetic varieties had less energy usage but required ammunition to fire. These could be useful on a high tactics / low engineering build, but you'd run the risk of depleting your ammo, especially if you fall through a worm hole and are far from home.
I'm thinking about doing something similar to that. In exchange for less energy usage, there is some small amount of durability loss per shot.
Patreon
Old 08-21-2012, 04:18 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I'm thinking about doing something similar to that. In exchange for less energy usage, there is some small amount of durability loss per shot.
This is why you design games and I buy them, Shadow. Same effect, but easier to manage - I like it!
Old 08-22-2012, 05:00 AM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chumpy View Post

If I remember correctly, kinetic weapon range is slightly higher than energy? Anyway, if there's a difference, it isn't very noticeable.

Kinetic weapons are even worse off compared to energy weapons because the fire at half the rate for about double the damage, meaning that there's more wasted overkill when doing the kills.

Quote:
One reason could be: the Cloaking Device has a hefty kinetic damage bonus. So the combo of Cloaking Device with a kinetic weapon should in theory be devastating. The problem is, I tried it and the combo seems to do nothing at all. I think it smply doesn't work, but this is just a gut feeling.

Another gut feeling: Kinetic weapons seem to have a significantly higher chance to miss than energy weapons. Someone should look into this, I may be wrong.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:53 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbach2o View Post
One reason could be: the Cloaking Device has a hefty kinetic damage bonus. So the combo of Cloaking Device with a kinetic weapon should in theory be devastating. The problem is, I tried it and the combo seems to do nothing at all. I think it smply doesn't work, but this is just a gut feeling.

Another gut feeling: Kinetic weapons seem to have a significantly higher chance to miss than energy weapons. Someone should look into this, I may be wrong.
This is correct. I've tested it in game and neither the crit bonus or the kinetic damage bonus are applied. Reporting it now.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:44 PM
Expert

I personally like the way the ram shots feel and have pretty much always used them throughout the times I've played.

I hadn't thought about them being underpowered, because their energy usage per shot seemed reasonable enough.

Now the railgun, well, that thing uses up energy so fast, it's not one of my goto weapons.
Old 08-23-2012, 01:25 AM
Amateur

Maybe give a bonus to armor damage for kinectics. Bonus to shield dmg for EMP type weapons. Structure dmg for missiles? That should differentiate the weapons enough I think without making them too OP. And if you want to go further with the RPS triangle, give a malus to shield dmg for kinectics, structure for EMP and armor for missiles.