Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Kivi's Underworld Open Beta
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-2008, 08:18 PM
Elite

Post Beta impressions

I just gave the beta a go for about an hour and thought I would post my impressions. Thanks for making it available Shadow. I will be comparing this to DoP, since that's the obvious way to go. I haven't read all the other posts exhaustively, so some of these may already have been mentioned, but that's ok.

Pros:
  • Nice "fog of war" effect, very smooth.
  • Excellent animations, seem much improved from DoP. Love the Skeleton Champion!
  • Earthquake spell sound effect is great!
  • Again, I like the option to continue the level at the end, in case you missed something.
  • Bestiary is cool!
  • Bonuses/achievements add another dimension to game.
  • Allows me to use my native resolution and runs flawlessly (well, it would want to on my PC).

Cons:
  • Would rather not have to hold down the mouse button or repeatedly click to attack. Also, when switching between enemies, you have to re-click to start attacking again. I would rather it just kept attacking. The system doesn't work very well for me.
  • Everything seems, well, a little big. I feel like I am about one inch from the action or something.
  • Something I brought up for DoP, but it feels even more relevant here. I want a visible timer for status effects! I don't want to have to mouse over in the middle of combat to find this out.

Bugs:
  • Could not ALT+TAB. This irritates me.
  • Once, I found a "Mana Pickup" that could not be picked up. It was not one of the inventory items and there was no error. Didn't matter how many times I clicked on it and I needed the mana!

Overall, it seems a little simplistic for my taste. The lack of ph4t lewt is definately a drawback for me, as is the extremely basic character advancement and less involved skill use. However, the game itself plays alright and I think maybe a younger audience would enjoy it. I read another post that said the game was too easy, but I didn't find that to be the case (playing on hard). Its definately possible to be overwhelmed.

I got stuck on the second adventure (blue lever opens a bunch of doors with monsters and chests behind them); couldn't find a red or green key to advance. What did I miss?

I will post any other points I when I return to the dungeon...
Old 10-14-2008, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyMoose View Post
[*]Could not ALT+TAB.
That's really strange. Does it work in DoP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaggyMoose View Post
I got stuck on the second adventure (blue lever opens a bunch of doors with monsters and chests behind them); couldn't find a red or green key to advance. What did I miss?
You don't need a red or green key to advance in the 2nd adventure. You can win the adventure just fine without them. There is more loot and stuff behind them though. SPOILER: I believe the keys are hidden behind a secret or two.
Patreon
Old 10-14-2008, 10:05 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
That's really strange. Does it work in DoP?
I wasn't sure, so I just tried it. It worked perfectly. This is running Vista 64 bit with SP1.

Quote:
You don't need a red or green key to advance in the 2nd adventure.
Oh. I couldn't find any way to progress. Must have missed a door somewhere.