Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2012, 01:49 AM
Champion

The new icons on the minimap are great, however I think they should be closer to the edge (or "on" the edge) when they are "offscreen" -- it feels very weird with a gate floating around a quarter of the way to the center, when it's really all the way across the system, while a nearby planet passes between it and the edge.

Regarding the race messages, I very much like the concept, but the execution needs working on. I don't see a benefit from having it a separate popup like incoming trade requests; it should just show up in the message log, like you were being chatted with:

Human: Thank you for helping our friends Fringe.
etc.

However, the message area can get very crowded currently, so there needs to be some thought put in on how to deal with that. I think customizable font size would help; the default size is fine, but I think it'd be completely legible smaller, which would optionally give more room.

I also think the transparency used there could use some work. Perhaps make the whole thing (both text and background) much more transparent (legible, but maybe not in every single situation/background -- if you aren't reading it, it shouldn't intrude), and have it switch to the current look only when you mouse over it. That would help immensely when a bunch of things happen and it just sits there for however long it takes for the messages to clear. When a new message comes in (both the new race messages and also all of the old existing messages), maybe switch it to the current "fully visible" view for a few seconds (also customizable?) before fading back out to the new "much more transparent" view.

A separate screen with the full message log would also be helpful; yes, you can use the arrows to scroll back, but that's not the most elegant system.

With the race messages, my enemies are complaining a bit much. Myself and 2 allies, all at or near 100% relations, are all at war with Lithosoid (and have been for quite a while), but I got a bunch of messages from them saying that one of the races were attacking their planet. Well, duh, and I'm about to join them. (= This may not be a big deal if how these messages are delivered is reworked, as suggested above or another way.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:02 AM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrObot View Post
Regarding the race messages, I very much like the concept, but the execution needs working on. I don't see a benefit from having it a separate popup like incoming trade requests; it should just show up in the message log, like you were being chatted with:

Human: Thank you for helping our friends Fringe.
etc.
I agree with this one quite a bit. If an event really doesn't require a decision on my part, I'd rather not have popup windows and simply have it in the message log. Negative reporting is where most of that should lie.

The more I think of it, there might be a benefit to have a tabbed message window with [Messages] [Events] and sort it out that way. Messages are your usual radio squabble, Events are for quests and such.

Just a thought.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:32 PM
Amateur

Bug: there still seems to be a chance for a race to be active when the sector starts, but be listed as extinct or not even shown in the race relations window. If it helps I'm playing with settings, tiny, established, and random number of races.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:30 AM
Amateur

Default Bug?: Friendly races at war with each other

Screenshot shows races that are at war, then become friendly with each other for some reason (bug, maybe? They're still busy destroying each other's planets), and yet refuse to discuss peace, though Shadow rejected a couple of peace attempts from Hive.

I think there should be a better correlation between the races' relation scores and their actual relationships.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:17 AM
Elite

Finally having map markers for key offscreen items is awesome. One small nitpick however... Its hard to tell which ones are really "offscreen". When they are out of the local radius, can they flash or change colour or even have a ring around the outside of the scanner where only they appear. Just something that lets you know they are distant objects, so they don't get mixed up with all the stuff that actually is in the area.

Last edited by ShaggyMoose : 07-22-2012 at 01:32 AM.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:05 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrObot View Post
The new icons on the minimap are great, however I think they should be closer to the edge (or "on" the edge)...
+1 for all the points made in this post.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:11 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by weelillad View Post

Screenshot shows races that are at war, then become friendly with each other for some reason (bug, maybe? They're still busy destroying each other's planets), and yet refuse to discuss peace, though Shadow rejected a couple of peace attempts from Hive.

I think there should be a better correlation between the races' relation scores and their actual relationships.
I might have an explanation here. When you destroy a race's planet, everyone at war with that race likes you more. Not sure why they're refusing peace, though.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:43 AM
Elite

It seems like missions based on race relations don't expire when they should. The Utopians have a mission for me to distract "their enemy the Humans" when now they actually have an alliance with the Humans. The mission no longer seems appropriate.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:51 PM
Expert

A few minor tidbits and suggestions on offer for v0.910.
This is constructive opinion only for fun and laughs, but
I do hope that some of this is implemented over time.

Credit Pickups
* The amount of credits you pick up isn't reported to the message log. It's easy to miss the amount most of the time when you fly over it. We get a static message, but with no amount.

Reveal Map Quest
* A great amount of time is spent revealing maps through exploration and this would be a great Quest event since you are doing it anyway. Give a Quest for a system not ventured yet; 100% reveal solves it.
* As the revealed map info is now for diplomacy bartering, revealed map Quests could turn into items for considerable trade amounts. HoloMap or CartoGram items would aid the buying faction, make you wealthier, and justify the time sink.

Blinking Icons
* No, please, no. Just no (Or the option for NO). This includes, but is not limited to, all things icon which flash. It makes me a nervous wreck as I have peripheral vision like a fly.

Asteroids
* They are there, but yield nothing when destroyed. These could fragment into rare items or credits.
* Events when destroyed such as Epidemic, Anomalies, Nasties. Don't get any on you...or your crew or that little dog in the back.

Teleporting
* There is so much of it in this game that it almost becomes an expected redundancy in exploration. I think the % rate needs to come way down for Anomalies because it can send you off course for 10 minutes at a time - which is usually critical in winning a sector. It's a Cheap Trick that is older than the band. Teleporting locally isn't bad, but sector-wide Whammy Boinks aren't too fun at all. Currently, I'm almost guaranteed to teleport twice per map. o_0 I now avoid Anomalies until I clear the Sector.

Crew (or Onboard Peanut Gallery)
* Can we get some more special abilities for these guys or something over time? I know their abilities do expand, but I end up hanging on to the same dude forever at level 22. It would be nice if the guy read a book between missions to gain some über skills. Or perhaps the guy goes stir crazy in the back of the ship after so many levels.
* Personalities for said Peanut Gallery would be great. Spy, Saboteur, Chaotic Genius, Motivated Hobbyist, or even Evil Captain Kirk Syndrome could be stuff these guys pull if you don't pay them. Perhaps an Epidemic from Asteroids, Cabin Fever, or Anomaly Fallout (as examples) could change these guys over time.
* My Crew sits back in the ship fairly quiet and content currently. Perhaps they too can generate Quests within the map by research, scanning, or similar means. I'd like to see these guys be a bit more proactive in the game; to give them lives of their own for your benefit...or sometimes not. We need them to boldly go where even Charlie Sheen would fear to tread. (Charlie Sheen!!)

Remote Spy Drone Beacons
* These would be one-shot items similar to Destruction. You physically place one (and one only) in a map and it allows you to view that map (and only what you have revealed) from another map in real-time remotely. This would allow a SpyCam feature to actually see, via fullscreen or inset window, what is actually transpiring in a given map. Kind of like the Descent 2 missile cam, only stationary with a top down view of that map. This would be a toggle until the Beacon is destroyed.

UI Clock
* An option for a 24 Hour Clock display would be swell. Attempting military operations while staring at a civilian egg timer is somewhat offsetting (but I LOVE the clock, though!).
* The System Clock UI element could provide a mouseover popup box with a list of Timed Quests and their relative remaining countdowns in real time.
It's currently difficult to scan the Quest List to scout out all the different timers; certainly not easy at a glance. The Endgame timer could also be placed here.

HTML Character Export
* There is an extraneous text string in the Escape Pod item with the HTML Export feature. Line 2 seems to be a drifter with the description.

Escape Pod V
If your ship is destroyed and you have an escape pod\nequipped you will have a chance to escape alive!\nStats listed only apply when you are using the escape pod.
Light Component
Rarity: Normal Type: Escape Pod
Durability 123 / 123
+235 Defense
+75 Max Structure
Requires 21 Structural
Sell value: 195 credits
Retail value: 917 credits

Key Stats Missing Color Highlights
* I'm finding quite a few items with stats (pictured below) that are very easy to miss due to lack of color highlighting. Some item stats are much more difficult to quickly read than this one, but I find myself spending more time trying to visually digest these than I should.

Last edited by Shardz : 07-23-2012 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Gratuitous screen caps, grammar corrections, and various sundry items.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:00 PM
Elite

I've noticed that when in the middle of a big war, I wasn't experiencing the frame-rate hiccups as in the past. Much smoother!