Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse modding
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2010, 01:16 AM
Expert

Default [WIP/BETA] ** Deeper Dins ** (New Patch 11/04/09)

Deeper Din's 0.1d BETA

Summary:

- All new classes and overhauled class system.
- Slower gameplay.
- Overhauled general balance.
- New skills.

Installation: Copy the attached zip file into your Din's Curse\Assets folder.

Hello all, first of all I love Dins Curse. Both Depths of Peril and Dins Curse have been a breath of fresh air to the stagnant ARPG genre, this is my humble attempt at making the class system more interesting.

After playing a few characters I decided to make a little mod to make things more difficult and interesting. This grew into some new classes and eventually a complete overhaul of the balance of the game.

1. Classes

I love the ability to dual class in an ARPG! Its great thinking of cool skill combos and unbeatable builds (until the nerf patch comes along!)... I have tried to make dual classing more interesting and robust. So this is what I have done:

Every single skill tree is a full class... that means when you are dualing you are really dualing classes rather than skill trees. Each class has therefore been made to stand on its own two feet as a pure class as well - Each class has on average 15 skills. (not including things like base armor equip passives)

The benefit for staying as a pure class is a bonus passive that you get, to represent your focus in a single discipline. This amounts to extra health, defense etc... I think this is better than cutting the amount of skills you get, I always thought that a dual classed character should be weaker but have more options than a pure class...

The Classes:

Warriors:
Fighter, Barbarian, Sword Master, Paladin, Anti-Paladin, Bowman.
Rogues:
Thief, Assassin, Ninja.
Nature:
Ranger, Druid ,Wildman.
Divine:
Priest, Dark Priest, Zealot.
Arcane/Other:
Mage, Battle Mage, Sorcerer, Monk

(There are a couple more coming soon depending on the feedback I get)

2. Skill and Balance System

In order to further increase the individual feel of a 'class' rather than a skill tree... I have taken a leaf out of D&D's book and implemented a class based attribute system. Each class group (eg. Warriors) has a base amount of health, power, defense, attack and a few other stats. which are further impacted by the classes attributes.

You no longer get attribute points at level up, they are for the most part, static (certain gear and buff's can improve/penalize attributes). This gives a lot of interesting possiblities to consider when dual classing, and also help differentiate the classes even more.

For example, in vanilla din's; two axes one at level 50 and one at level 1, will have wildly different strength requirements. Even though they are the same size, made of the same material and pretty much the same weapon... Or, a level 50 short sword will require more strength than a lvl 1 two handed maul... This makes no sense. - So, item attribute requirements can now be static depending on the item type.

- So if you do not get attributes how do you get more powerful? (I hear you ask :P)

Each class gets a training skill, which is pretty much required to be taken each level to gain health and mana... this also includes the classes base defense and attack increase, and depending on attributes, various other increases to stats.

Skills:

You now get 65 points a level, increasing by 5 every 10 levels.

Skills no longer increase in SP cost as you put points in them.

Skills are now organised into tiers...

Tier 0 - These skills cost no power, and are generally useful throughout the whole game. Often very powerful but with high cooldowns.

Tier 1 - The bread and butter skills, basic survival and damage skills go here. Some classes even get area of effects. (2 Points)

Tier 2 - Getting warmer... these skills are very powerful, but often require a lot of mana. Some good passives can often be found in this tier. (5 Points)

Tier 3 - These are the game changers. Very powerful at low levels, but with collossal mana costs... massive aoe spells, powerful summons, and amazing passives often are found here. (10 Points)

The training skill sits on top of these tiers. It is 6 times the cost of a tier 3 skill, but the only way you will power your abilities is to invest points into it. There may be times where you can subtract points and really splash out on your other spells and skills... but generally you will be taking it every level. Some classes may find more benefit in avoiding a training skill now and again than others - pure classed characters will be at an advantage here.

Skills now scale linearly. For a damage spell, it will add its base damage again for each point invested (eg 1-4, 2-8, 3-12) and add its power cost again.

Item/Weapon balance:

Items have been rebalanced to fall in line with the new system. Armor pieces now give you defense as well as armor (better armor would surely deflect a lot of blows entirely!) You will generally get hit a lot less often, with good gear and a high defense character you can be looking at as little as 10% of the time. However, monsters will do more damage when they do hit, and boss monsters will have a far greater chance to hit you.

The difference between weapons is far more pronounced. Two handed weapons do double the damage of their one handed counterparts, and weapon speeds have been standardised to 1 swing a second. The only way to increase attack speed is with certain skills (e.g sword mastery, monk speed...) I did this because I was fed up with using daggers and staves as a warrior when there are axes and swords lying around.

Characters like assassins will get skills that make the dagger the best weapon for them to use, even though it is the weakest weapon overall.

The increased damage on the heavy weapons also factors into the class system in terms of the attribute requirements, dual classers will have to be careful or they may lose the ability to use bigger weapons.

Weapons:

Daggers: Weakest weapons in most hands, but incredible for assassins - 1str
Staves: Slightly stronger than daggers but requires both hands - 1str
Swords: Good all round weapon... most people can wield one. - 8str
Mace: Higher max damage than a sword or axe but less min damage - 9str
Axe: Best one handed weapon - 10Str
2H Sword: Double damage of a regular sword - 11Str
2H Mace: Double mace damage - 12Str
2H Axe: Double Axe damage - 13Str

Bows: slightly better than a staff, but ranged - 10Dex

3. Other Stuff

The monsters and general item modifiers have been rebalanced. The game feels more difficult in general, and includes longer, more intense fights. It also rewards tactical play due to far higher monster HP's (ever use dots on regular mobs in vanilla din's?).

Potions and elixirs are more interesting and provide very good bonuses, they also last a lot longer. You get 3 at the start to ease you into the game. You will be looking for these potions now instead of ignoring them!

Money drops are more generous to allow you to buy food and potions if you are a warrior without healing! I found the money a bit stingy in the original game. Skills also cost less so you can experiment and respec more often.

Identifying is now instant. (It was really annoying and I don't personally see the point in having unidentified items in an ARPG where you can't use them until they are identified.) Opening chests is the same, almost instant. No needless waiting.

If I think of anything else I shall edit this post!

4. So why is this a beta?

I know I must of overlooked many balancing issues, and I can't possibly play test each class combination, or even class as much as it deserves. So I would like plenty of feedback on the 'feel' of the game and what needs changing. Things like sets and uniques for example will need a lot of tweaking I expect.

I haven't yet tested multiplayer, so it would be interesting to see if it works.

I have ideas for other classes, but i'd really like to hear what you guys want. Any skills ideas or class suggestions? I'd love to hear them.

Version History

- First Release.

0.1a
- Renamed zip to ensure mac compatibility.

0.1b
- Reduced 'pure class' health and mana buffs by 50%
- Introduced some new item procs, replacing most of the old ones.
- Fixed AllAttributes modifier (should no longer appear)
- Improved levelling speed slightly at low levels.

0.1c
- Fixed problem with negative stats - Stat base is now 10.
- Fixed defensive stance scaling
- Fixed problem wildman skill tree linking problem.

0.1d
- Fixed immolation scaling, doubled damage, reduced mana and cooldown.
- Rebalanced monk 'ki' stances. Incurred max health penalty to both except power, reduced power damage bonus.
- Improved infinite mana regen rate. (please let me know if there is still a problem as I am yet to run into one!)
Attached Files
File Type: zip deeperdins_0.1d_beta.zip (57.4 KB, 317 views)

Last edited by The_Dajaw : 04-11-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:28 AM
Amateur

Well, I was excited to try it out, but I couldn't get it to work. I dropped the ZIP into the Assets folder, but the game looks no different. This is my first attempt to install/use a mod, so maybe I don't know what I'm doing?
Old 04-06-2010, 02:34 AM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
Well, I was excited to try it out, but I couldn't get it to work. I dropped the ZIP into the Assets folder, but the game looks no different. This is my first attempt to install/use a mod, so maybe I don't know what I'm doing?
That sounds about right, you just drop the zip in the assets folder... It does work I've just tested it with a clean install and the zip I attached. When you create a new character you should get more options as in the screen shots...

Hmmm... Yeah as long as its in Din's Curse\Assets it really should work...
Old 04-06-2010, 02:42 AM
Amateur

I'm on a Mac, don't know if that matters
Old 04-06-2010, 02:44 AM
Expert

Quote:
I'm on a Mac, don't know if that matters
I have no idea I'm afraid... I'm a windows user. Perhaps try extracting the zip file. (Database and UI need to be in your assets folder)
Old 04-06-2010, 02:45 AM
Amateur

Ah, score. I renamed the file to 'assets4.zip' and it worked just fine! Going to give your mod a whirl!
Old 04-06-2010, 02:53 AM
Amateur

Just a bug note for ya. It seems that the Anti Paladin has a skill called Black Bolt. I tried running it all the way up to level 5, but it does 1-4 magic damage on all 5 levels.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:01 AM
Expert

Quote:
Just a bug note for ya. It seems that the Anti Paladin has a skill called Black Bolt. I tried running it all the way up to level 5, but it does 1-4 magic damage on all 5 levels.
Thanks mate, unfortunately I don't have as much time as i'd like to test every skill for every class, but well spotted i'll change it now. I expect to see a few bugs here and there!

Much appreciated!

EDIT: Fixed version is uploaded.

Last edited by The_Dajaw : 04-06-2010 at 03:04 AM.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:40 AM
Elite

Brilliant stuff Dajaw. I was planning to work on an epic mod like this too, but looks like you beat me to it. Mayhaps we can collaborate in the near future?
Old 04-06-2010, 03:59 AM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by udm View Post
Brilliant stuff Dajaw. I was planning to work on an epic mod like this too, but looks like you beat me to it. Mayhaps we can collaborate in the near future?
hehe sure, its early days yet... and plenty of room for improvement. If you want to code up some skills or classes, items, quests, anything that fits in with the general balance of the mod I could use it. We have an excellent base for modding copious amounts of 'stuff' in. This is just a weeks work :P