Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Drox Operative > Invasion of the Ancients
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2014, 01:52 PM
Elite

Very nice. I tend to look down on Dryad ships, but I guess you really made that shield regeneration work.

Just a question, though. It seems that your ship would get one hell of a benefit from a dynamic frequency generator. Any reason you do not have one?

Last edited by Tuidjy : 08-04-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:27 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Very nice. I tend to look down on Dryad ships, but I guess you really made that shield regeneration work.
In games i tend to build independent and enduring. The ship reached the playability of level 200 sectors before i discovered and used the doubling. But i used very rarely consumables,.. mostly when i found some and then mostly to free place in storage. These took more time and were even more costly, than my regen tactics.

The shield repaired allways quite fast. I had just to pause sometimes for some seconds. I carry allways some outdated armorplates in storage. When enemies begin to destroy armor, i replace the destroyed plates. When most or even all plates are "consumed", i repair em on planets. When no planet is there, i hide the ship in dimensional pockets or outside of sectors. Then i install additional armor regen modules and additional powerplants and wait until repair is completed. I use the 5-10 minutes to cleanup my storage and check, what of the loot is the best and worth to keep. This possibility to regen the ship saved often my live or prevented, that i had to give up sectors, when the only planets where far away and the structure already scratched. Since doubling i had no need for the still kept spare armor.

Only real problem of dryad ships is to get a good dryad crew member. But i had the luck to get a 3 stat marine from a quest. Actually quite funny to send a peaceful dryad women into enemy ships .

Quote:
Just a question, though. It seems that your ship would get one hell of a benefit from a dynamic frequency generator. Any reason you do not have one?
Yes, i thought alot about installing the dynamic frequency generator. But it would cost 25 % of the shield regen, because i would have to remove a shield. Actually the amount of shield would be 150 % instead of 200 due removal of one shield! There are just few situations in level 200 sectors, were the advantages of 50 % more shield would be greater, than the advantages of 25 % more regen.

Even if i get another place for this module, i would probably prefer to install one more shield. The next slot would maybe be for the generator.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:14 PM
Elite

I guess that you care more about regeneration than about total HP and weapon damage. I usually mount a dynamic frequency generator for the virus/botnet/beam bonus, so I thought that the shield would be just the icing on the cake.

Are your resistance light components x2, x4, x8, x16 as well?
Old 08-04-2014, 10:55 PM
Amateur

Quote:
I guess that you care more about regeneration than about total HP and weapon damage. I usually mount a dynamic frequency generator for the virus/botnet/beam bonus, so I thought that the shield would be just the icing on the cake.
I try allways to let the ship be able to survive as long as possible. On my ship the regen of a additional shield module does it more effective, than the dynamic frequency generator could do. The enemies need a certain time to kill my ship. Actually the health bar falls way slower, when armor begins to get damage. During the time of risky battles more shield is regenerated by the regen of an additional shield module, than the generator would provide, when it would replace one of the the shields. Without the doubling the effect of regen would be much less and more shield would have more value and in this case i would replace the 4th shield module with the generator.

Quote:
Are your resistance light components x2, x4, x8, x16 as well?
My resistances are also maxed. I chip items also with the resist chips, when i plan to keep them permanently.

Quote:
x2, x4, x8, x16
The doubling increases the value to a maximum of x 4. At every step only 100 % are added. A module with 100 resist gets 100 additional resist at every step and maxes at 400 resist. With 1900 resist, the ship resists 70 % damage of level 200 enemys (actual resist forumula: resistance/(resistance + 4*(attacker level)) ).

With the resists the ship is effective enough protected to simply ignore the traps. The energy capacity is low and i keep it low because the energy traps have less effect on lower energy capacity (the regen can compensate a loss of 50 per second, but not a loss of 500 per second,... high energy capacity makes energy traps more deadly than all other).

Last edited by Kohlenstoff : 08-04-2014 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 01:47 PM
Elite

At the end of the day, it is the resistances that make this ship effective, not the shields. At level 200, there are plenty of enemies which would be crit-hitting you for 11K damage with your defense. It's the resistances that allow the shields to regenerate.

Actually the health bar falls way slower, when armor begins to get damage

This is because you probably do not go down to the armor unless your shields are being depleted by something that your ship does not resist, and that would be Radiation and EM, which happen to be hell on shields. Fortunately, these are exactly the damage types that your armor is strongest against. And, of course, your shield is still regenerating, so it is still absorbing thousands of damage per second.

high energy capacity makes energy traps more deadly than all other

True for aimed-weapons-only ships. This is why I always keep one area-effect weapon on ships with batteries. Even if your battery capacity is 1200, if you have enough targets, you can still easily replenish the 140 or so that the trap drains.

Of course, I only use batteries when I use fighters or Big Bangs. Otherwise, I just rely on the fact that each shot lands, and every shot that lands increases energy instead of draining it.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:55 PM
Amateur

Quote:
At the end of the day, it is the resistances that make this ship effective, not the shields.
The shields deliver the regen, which is multiplied with the shield regen module percentage. Thats, why i need them. I use only fast recharge shields.

Quote:
And, of course, your shield is still regenerating, so it is still absorbing thousands of damage per second.
And thats the point.

Quote:
At level 200, there are plenty of enemies which would be crit-hitting you for 11K damage with your defense. It's the resistances that allow the shields to regenerate.
I found out the dependence of enemy crits on the diffrence between enemy atack and own defence just this morning and so i installed a 6000 defense module (4 x) instead of the holo unit. It reduces the incoming damage alot.

I had really luck, because i found the required grey 1500 defense module (sensor disruptor v) just in time on a planet, which was about to be destroyed by another race, while i was still letting the races improve their relations before selling wars. Good, that i had a look in store before leaving it alone and exploding.

Quote:
Otherwise, I just rely on the fact that each shot lands, and every shot that lands increases energy instead of draining it.
Yeah, i do this since i found the first energy leechers. In this way i can shoot all 4 energy hungry weapons simultanously (pressing left and right mouse and two keys). The additional regen from the two 4 x powerplants helps alot to keep the flow of energy even more stable.

Last edited by Kohlenstoff : 08-05-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:15 PM
Elite

Lately I have been playing in order to manipulate race relations, and meet self-imposed diplomacy challenges, so I have been taking ships to level 100, and starting new ones...

But this thread has made me want to make another ship that will aim for sector 200. Probably something I have not played before - a ship with NO aimed weapons of any kind.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:15 PM
Amateur

I just encountered extreme repair costs of 18.000.000 . I replaced the resists with optimized ones with minimum powerload. These new ones have a value of 80 million each and this high value seems to cause the high repair cost. I forgot to repair before chipping and so i have now to pay the invoice. And the unbreakable chips do not prevent, that i have to repair them once. Good thing, that i remembered the dryad ability in time. I guess i will begin to use the unbreakable chips on more items now.
Old 08-05-2014, 11:21 PM
Expert

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohlenstoff View Post
Here is my current ship. I used the chipping doubling bug to increase some stats of some items. I discovered the bug while chipping two valuable powerplants and two good engines in level 200... 3 of em doubled in a row while installing the extremely rare unbreakable chips and i noticed it some minutes after. I wanted not to throw that away (i found until now 10 unbreakable but i spent about 40 million in scavenging chips). Some days later i found and added the next chips and they doubled again, so i continued researching and using the bug on this ship.

Engine and powerplant are unbreakable. Other items are mostly chipped with resists. Atack seems to be low but works well in combination with radar and the (still very outdated!) virus weapons in level 200. Even a Atack of 6000 was enough for level 200. Shield regen was before doubling bug already at 300 (4 shields, 3 regen) and is now high enough to ignore whole fleets. The resists make my ship even 3 times harder and thus the regen 3 times more effective. So i actually dont need the defence.

The ship is still far away from perfection. Shields are just tripled and some items got wrong chips. Im currently working on 4 new weapons (same as used now, but closer to perfection) and replacing one of the crew member with a EM-Resist (need to get the stats from other crew member and crew items).
shield regen 2607 how can u got that much
Old 08-06-2014, 07:17 AM
Amateur

You can find sometimes fast charge shields with more than 5 shield regen and you can find shield regen multipliers, which add more than 500 %. When you chip them with doubling method, you get shield regen of 15-18* on every shield and 2000 % on every shield regen multiplier. Without doubling you get with 3 shield regen multipliers and 4 shields about 300 shield regen. With doubling you get with 4 shields and 2 regen multipliers the 2600 and even more. A good third shield regen multiplier would add it up even to 3900! But i suggest to install after second regen module a kinetic resist and when you get more place, you should add explosion, thermal and EM too. Then you can think about another regen again. Radiation damage is rare and chipping 100 resist against radiataion traps should be enough. The resist makes regen way more effective. When you got 2500 shield regen and maxed the best resists, level 200 enemies need to deliver more than 7500 DPS to compensate your shield regen and do real damage. Only few ancients can maybe deliver a little bit more than this.

The required fast charge shields are really rare and the 3 best classes of shields can have such a high value of more than 5.

*shield regen of shields is not doubled. It is calculated in different way, so it increases during doubling not so much as expected!

Last edited by Kohlenstoff : 08-06-2014 at 07:27 AM.