Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Demon War BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2011, 07:20 PM
Elite

Default New jewelry, necklaces and rings please

In Din's Curse/Expansions/DemonWar/Assets/, I unzipped assets001.zip, then opened the file assets001/Database/items.gdb. I counted 86 new base items (the new random grey/green/yellow items) for levels 85 and 95, and notably missing were new jewelry, necklaces and rings. This would round out the high level random items addition.

As for names, I don't know what's taken but here's a few: Enchanted, Transcendent, Opulent, Cosmic, Exalted, Divine, Ethereal

Also, time permitting, it would give the expansion a much more polished touch if all the new items received their own icons. This would also make them easier to identify, and more exciting to acquire. It could be as simple as a re-coloration of the old icons. Give them a metallic glow look or something.

Last edited by Nobear : 01-08-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobear View Post
In Din's Curse/Expansions/DemonWar/Assets/, I unzipped assets001.zip, then opened the file assets001/Database/items.gdb. I counted 86 new base items (the new random grey/green/yellow items) for levels 85 and 95, and notably missing were new jewelry, necklaces and rings. This would round out the high level random items addition.
I posted this in another thread already, but I don't think new jewelry would change anything. Jewelry can already use the high level modifiers and they don't have any base stats like armor/weapons.
Patreon

Last edited by Shadow : 01-10-2011 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:26 PM
Elite

So the new armor and weapons can't have any higher modifiers, just higher armor value or damage range? I won't see, for instance, higher than a -53% cast time staff?

If it would be time consuming but simply a matter of adding entries to existing or new files that are user-accessible, you could tell me what to do and I'll do it and send it to you.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:18 PM
Champion

Really an item-pack is something the community should work on, it's not exactly difficult work, but it'd be best to leave Shadow to work on elements that aren't moddable.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:49 PM
Elite

An item pack as a mod, or something the community puts together and Shadow makes "official" by actually integrating into the default game? A lot of users skip right over mods, even official ones, and will only play the "vanilla" game and typically also any expansions.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:58 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloodSpectre View Post
An item pack as a mod, or something the community puts together and Shadow makes "official" by actually integrating into the default game? A lot of users skip right over mods, even official ones, and will only play the "vanilla" game and typically also any expansions.
Users that skip over mods aren't going to care about items in the high-end range anyway. If they do; that's why Shadow made the game moddable in the first place.
I wouldn't mind making things official, but I believe it may create problems with distributors if distributed with the game itself due to copyright etc.

I just don't want Shadow to spend more time on mundane aspects that players can help to improve in the first place. There are so many other things the game needs that modders can't provide.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:46 AM
Champion

Default Did someone say unique items?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magitek View Post
I just don't want Shadow to spend more time on mundane aspects that players can help to improve in the first place. There are so many other things the game needs that modders can't provide.
Although last week got consumed with a visit my dad's and my new job, I enjoy creating items and will be continuing work on a mod called Architems. It's in the mod folder on the forum, but more importantly, you guys might want access to the mod files themselves:

https://github.com/jeremyosborne/din...ster/architems

The purpose of the mod is to add high end, unique items to the game. Right now I'm focusing on what I have arbitrarily called Champion (Level 37), Elite (Level 67), and Legend (Level 92) items.

I'm trying to comment the files as I make changes to them, and welcome others changes / comments / balances, etc. Perhaps these files might be of most use as examples of what to do (and of course not do) when designing items. Feel free to take what I've done so far and change stuff around. I find modding Din's Curse quite fun and relatively painless.

I have already waived all of my copyright to these for owners of Din's Curse. Should I actually end up doing a good job with this mod and Shadow wants to make it official, I don't mind making the mod as public domain.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:05 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyosborne View Post
Although last week got consumed with a visit my dad's and my new job, I enjoy creating items and will be continuing work on a mod called Architems.
The reason I didn't touch on modding items myself is it looks really labor intensive and decided I didn't have the stamina to do it. So props to you for getting this started.

It's good that we now have demonwar items seeded and end-game is a little less dry, but everyone should remember that Shadow's time is finite and is time out of other awesome features for the expansion.
More item modifiers would be a far better investment than more base items, don't you folks agree? This basically increases the number of interesting items generated ten-fold, regardless of level!

edit: oh and jeremyosborne, you should consider adding a link to your items mod into your signature; you post enough, maybe it'll help get a bit more exposure.

Last edited by Magitek : 01-10-2011 at 02:07 AM.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:18 AM
Champion

Quote:
This basically increases the number of interesting items generated ten-fold, regardless of level!
I heartily agree. With the random amount of things that can be generated, most of my characters use very awesome non-unique items.

What I love to do, and will be doing more of, is making unique items that solve things that the more mundane items don't, or would just take too much time hunting and pecking through every item spawned to figure out if it's the one I want. The trick is to balance the unique items so they don't overshadow the regular items in all circumstances.

Quote:
edit: oh and jeremyosborne, you should consider adding a link to your items mod into your signature; you post enough, maybe it'll help get a bit more exposure.
Thanks for the tip, that's a good use of the sig, and I'll follow suit. Your new sig is excellent, by the way
Old 01-10-2011, 02:29 AM
Elite

I have a level 100, a 93, an 89, etc., and am a very analytical gamer who seeks to understand underlying math, etc., and I play with no mods.

One reason is that I'm a purist, and while I enjoy contributing ideas to a game, I want to play it the way the designer envisioned it, with only the ideas he determines contribute to the balance and feel he envisions. That's why I'm not mad when Shadow doesn't like one of my ideas; it's his vision and I think there's something beautiful about immersing yourself in someone else's unique vision. I enjoy helping him express it, but ultimately express it the way he wants.

So it's what I prefer as a player, and also as a beta tester. When I post bugs and ideas, I want my opinions to be based on the base game and how it feels. I think mods have their place, and are fine for players to fine-tune their experience to their individual preferences (the no pentagrams mod is a good example of this: most players aren't bothered by pentagrams, but the few that are can use it to play without being bothered).

IMHO, a good set of items throughout the level range is something which should be part of the base game, not a mod. Even players who might never get to level 100, are still often in awe of just knowing that epic loot is out there, and the desire to someday become "epic" is part of what drives many. I'm not saying every casual player is like this, but my WoW experience tells me that a good many are. Awe-inspiring high level items are a great selling point for nearly everyone, when they are making a decision to buy a game like this.

That said, I'd be more than willing to help Shadow with the repetitive time-consuming part of improving high level items further. The new variants having higher average armor and DPS range is a good start, but this is a half-baked addition which I'd like to help finish baking, so to speak.

Shadow: if you think this is a good idea, let me tell you what I'd do. In the base game's assets001.zip, I'd add new entries to the appropriate files in Database/MagicModifiers, in intervals up to just below level 100, following the pattern I see (e.g. every 5 or 7 levels). I'd move "AvailableAtMaxLevel 1" to the last entry. If you think this is too high, tell me what level you'd like me to stop at. Also, if you'd prefer this to be limited to the expansion, tell me what files you'd like me to make or edit. Tell me what else you'd like me to do as well, or tell me you don't want me doing anything, I wouldn't be offended.