Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Demon War BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2011, 02:51 AM
Elite

I agree that it feels more alive than before at low level, but at high level I haven't seen half the new NPC-related action and quests. If the game was anti-climactic before, that's an understatement now. I'm hoping Shadow gets to the bottom of this soon.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:13 PM
Champion

Is there a problem with the new stuff showing up for high-level characters?
Old 01-20-2011, 04:27 PM
Amateur

I agree that the UI really needs a rework.

When I first played DC I was wondering why there are so many buttons on the NPC-Interaction window.

The only scenario where I could possibly want to use more then one alternative is when a npc has both a quest and a shop.

Then with DW there are even more buttons... why?

Just as an experiment, how about making a "simple npc"-interface option? Where clicking on a npc with a shop automatically takes you to the shop window, quest npc's take you to the quest window, and only if they have both, pop up a selection window.

Then let people try it out for a while and see what they think about it.

Oh, and one more thing, why is there a cap on how many active quests you can have at once?
Old 01-20-2011, 04:37 PM
Elite

pnakotus, I've been playing almost every day since Demon War came out, almost exclusively on 50+ toons, and have only once seen a single fight break out at these levels, and have still never seen

a) townspeople poisoning the food/water supply
b) townspeople letting in a scout
c) townspeople setting up traps
d) finding evidence quest
e) townspeople getting banished from town

at level 50+, and I'm probably forgetting some stuff. I only played once at lower level (23-27 on a 20 multiplayer town) in this time, and it was the craziest town any of us had seen, with much of the hanky-panky mentioned above.

Shadow says he's aware that high level townspeople have less money problems, but he hasn't figured out why yet. Any ideas people come up with to get to the bottom of it would be great.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:56 PM
Champion

Whoa, that's crazy. Maybe they're 'better' at maintaining their happiness so the interesting stuff doesn't show up. Hopefully Shadow can work it out, because I'd expect high-level stuff to be much more difficult with the added workload.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:16 PM
Elite

Shadow, when you said happiness wasn't directly related to level, what did you mean? How is it indirectly related?

All I can think of, is that if you don't find the culprit, maybe there are some variables which would offset money problems and happiness at each difficulty level. If possible, tweak the right stuff so at each difficulty, townspeople on average are less happy. Then, again, we can help you fine-tune it in the next patch.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:07 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobear View Post
pnakotus, I've been playing almost every day since Demon War came out, almost exclusively on 50+ toons, and have only once seen a single fight break out at these levels, and have still never seen

a) townspeople poisoning the food/water supply
b) townspeople letting in a scout
c) townspeople setting up traps
d) finding evidence quest
e) townspeople getting banished from town

at level 50+, and I'm probably forgetting some stuff. I only played once at lower level (23-27 on a 20 multiplayer town) in this time, and it was the craziest town any of us had seen, with much of the hanky-panky mentioned above.
Just chiming in here... at level 40-45 I saw a lot of this activity, but since passing that point I'm not seeing much activity anymore either. There's an occasional starving NPC and some basic NPC quests here and there, but not much otherwise.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:53 PM
Champion

If the problem is money or the way the npc calculate 'danger' or 'happiness' I think we can cook up solutions for the high end. I don't have any characters above 30 so I haven't seen this myself.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobear View Post
Shadow, when you said happiness wasn't directly related to level, what did you mean? How is it indirectly related?
I didn't mean to imply that there were indirect things. I just meant that with so many complex interactions going on there could be some indirect things that I don't realize.
Patreon
Old 01-22-2011, 12:19 AM
Elite

Could this be the issue, Shadow?

From Din's Curse/Expansions/DemonWar/Assets/assets001/Database/systems2.gdb:

GameSystemExp1 overrides GameSystem
{
ReputationToHappinessMult 0.01
ReputationToNpcReputationMult 0.01

If a character's reputation increases the happiness of NPCs, this would generally increase with level. If this is how this mechanic works, I say it should be taken out completely. It could be what's preventing any of the other related mechanics from coming out at high level.

Last edited by Nobear : 01-22-2011 at 12:46 AM.