Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2010, 11:47 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
Don't they have that already?
Not really, the buffs currently on champion or elite rank totems are normal monster buffs that are mostly useless for inanimate objects like for example stone skin, mana burn or critical hit. The idea is to have additional buffs related to increasing monster effectiveness around the totem for champion/elite or maybe even artifact totems. For example some additional random effects:

critical hit (area effect) : increases critical hit of [monster] in area
regeneration (area) : increases regeneration rate of [monster] in area
hearty (area): doubles the durability of [monster] in area
haste (area): doubles attack speed of [monster] in area

A champion totem could have it's normal buff (based on type of totem) plus haste while a elite totem could have it's normal buff plus regeneration and haste. A artifact totem named "Bob" could have it's normal buff plus haste , hearty, critical hit and regeneration.

Last edited by Archon : 12-04-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Elite

I've thought pretty much the same thing about totems before. Why not just have them also broadcast their Champion+ buffs if they have them instead of making new ones just for the totem? For example, if the totem has Stoneskin all enemies in range also have Stoneskin, or if the totem is a Giant all the enemies around it are Giant, etc.

Of course, then we have the fun issue of enemies wandering in and out of its radius and constantly changing size
Old 12-04-2010, 01:26 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloodSpectre View Post
I've thought pretty much the same thing about totems before. Why not just have them also broadcast their Champion+ buffs if they have them instead of making new ones just for the totem? For example, if the totem has Stoneskin all enemies in range also have Stoneskin, or if the totem is a Giant all the enemies around it are Giant, etc.

Of course, then we have the fun issue of enemies wandering in and out of its radius and constantly changing size
That would be a good idea make all the normal buffs area effect buffs for the specific enemy the totem effects. If implemented there would certainly be a increase of players luring monsters away from any ranking totem.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:02 PM
Expert

I would like to see the deeper and deeper levels to include more and more unique stuff. Here are some ideas for very deep levels:
1) Crazy *rare* monsters...
A) Monster which doesn't attack the player yet will run very fast into the player to stun them and then run far away to hide and blitz the player again.
B) Monster agrees to temporarily(10mins) join the player.... for a fee before leaving the dungeon.
C) Monster ghosts which aimlessly wander the dungeon and cannot be killed... like the NPC ghosts yet no quest.

2) Special *rare* rooms....
A) Magic Forge... one random bonus for a random equipped item. If character does not have randomly selected slot equipped then nothing happens. This sounds like the easiest to implement and will prevent cheating such as someone unequipping all except one item.
B) Library... contains random book for raising an existing skill by one. What better way to encourage players for trying other classes than by finding one of these books.
C) Enchanting Fountain... drinking produces random temporary effect on player which might include curse, haste, plague, stoneskin, poison, blindness, strength, etc., etc., . There's also a small chance a permanent +1 boost for an existing statistic.
D) Monster Room... the player has actually walked into a large sized monster disquised as a room. The player must fight his way out or be digested for lunch.
E) Evil Mirror Room... the player enters the room which contains an evil mirror. A flash occurs and the mirror captures an image of the player which then generates an evil identical clone. The evil clone seeks to destroy and absorb its original image... if successful it will become stronger. Some special visual effect should be included so the player knows what's happening when entering this room.

Last edited by NTJedi : 12-06-2010 at 10:02 PM. Reason: improve appearance
Old 12-11-2010, 01:49 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy View Post
I've been on Act 4 of Diablo II getting ready for the expansion to Din's! Hopefully there will be a hell tileset in the expansion. I always liked the animated flames in Act 4.

@ Shadow: Will the expansion will combine the overland experience of Depths of Peril with Din's dungeon experience? I tried to combine resources of DoP into Din's to get an overland experience into Din's to no avail (I would see a lot of black/jumbled tiles). Hopefully, this would not be too hard to implement. Like in WoW, the player would have to set their home base of their teleport stone.
Hi Shadow,

Any final decision on this?

Thanks,

GB
Old 12-13-2010, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Overland areas aren't going to make it into this expansion at least. There are a lot of things I would need to fix/change to get it to work right.
Patreon
Old 12-13-2010, 11:45 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Overland areas aren't going to make it into this expansion at least. There are a lot of things I would need to fix/change to get it to work right.
Thanks for your time, Shadow.

GB
Old 02-05-2011, 03:50 AM
Champion

Have a few ideas that I figure can't hurt to share. As a disclaimer, they aren't expectations, I've just been brainstorming. Seems like a common topic on the thread is having the towns 'connected' to some degree.

What if there were diseases that couldn't be cured immediately? Say you get malaria which impacts your stats negatively, and aren't able to find a 'doctor' for several towns. This could be applied in any number of fashions.

Not sure if I'm a fan of this next idea myself, but it occurred to me nonetheless. What if instead of a menu where players selected which character to use there was a persistent town 'hub?' Maybe including a feature that allows players to efficiently swap gear between characters (despite the shared stash being super easy), vendors that sell items in bulk to prepare for coming journeys, bankers who would allow you to make investments in an attempt to earn some quick gold. Again, this 'hometown' could go in many directions. Would be cool if multiplayers could also visit each other's hometowns between saving towns to check out what's for sale. It sounds a little too complicated, but I imagine it would be fairly immersive into the world of Din's Curse.

One last thought: wands! Maybe restricted to entirely cloth based classes, or have high spirit requirements. Gives a simple, non-mana based, ranged attack. (Easily modified by the elements.)
Old 02-05-2011, 05:58 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacehog View Post
One last thought: wands! Maybe restricted to entirely cloth based classes, or have high spirit requirements. Gives a simple, non-mana based, ranged attack. (Easily modified by the elements.)
I like this idea a lot. This is actually how staves worked in Titan Quest, they always gave an elemental projectile attack. You had an equal chance of a new staff having an attack inflicting fire, lightning, ice, "elemental" or random damage type, which was pretty cool. And, like you said, match up the right type of staff damage to the right build and you could use masteries to amplify their damage because of the elemental synergy (something I'd like to see more of in general in Din's).
Old 02-16-2011, 04:04 PM
Champion

A couple more ideas that came to mind.
-Handheld torches for sale from vendors. Is it those damn urchins that sneak around blowing out all of the torches I light? The handheld torches wouldn't have to last long, necessarily, but they would make for great companions in worlds ridden by darkness machines.
-This thought came to me whilst opening a cauldron in the search for a lost food shipment. It would be neat if food/water in towns where the supplies have been poisoned had a chance to poison you instead of heal you. (For all I know this is already the case and I have yet to experience it.) I can only imagine chomping on some roasted boar in the heat of battle only to find that I've poisoned myself and the situation is becoming more and more dire.