Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Demon War
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2011, 06:44 PM
Expert

Default XP distribution. You're doing it wrong. :P

Here's a suggestion.

I spent the better part of 6 hours today with a sacrificial character exploring town creation and the modifiers.

I have found that 99% of the time, towns have negative modifiers (earthquake, dark elves, acid, rowdy type stuff).

I have found that less than 1% of the time will you get something good like rich, cupid or vendors galore.

Only ONCE did I get a town with NO modifiers. (I think I should report THAT as a bug... )

I know there's a "Low Stress" option but that comes with a 15% Xp hit.

I'm curious as to why that ^ is? Why would you want to penalize those of us who just want to dungeon crawl and not worry about NPCs? I'm getting the feeling that Din's is quickly becoming less of a dungeon crawler and more of a NPC babysitting sim with some uglies tossed in there for entertainment.

Honestly, I don't care if the marriage between two NPCs has failed. Mofo prolly had it coming. I saw him flirting with the Apothecary at the pub anyways.

The XP (punishment) hit should be turfed IMO. Return it to a nominal level of earning.

Add an XP bonus for NOT turning that on (ticking the box). Heck, there shouldn't be a bonus. You get extra XP just saving the town every time it gets attacked and saving the needy/greedy NPCs.

Heck, let's take it up a notch.

If you're gonna keep the 15% penalty for having a "Low Stress" environment, at least let us CHOOSE the world modifiers we want to deal with. A tick box for every one of them would be nice. At least then, if I'm being punished for a 15% XP hit, at least I can pick the kind of miserable town I'm going to be saving.

I still feel the XP hit should be turfed and the truely "random" created worlds should carry a little bonus.

That's my two cents for tonight.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:05 PM
Champion

I play with 'low stress' all the time and I just balance it back out by also playing on 'fast pace'. Since there seems to be no town attacks of any kind(is it supposed to eliminate ALL attacks or just the more stressful stuff?)you don't have to worry so much about gates and can just knock out the quests. In this case 'fast pace' doesn't seem like fast pace.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Champion

Something I just thought of: should hardcore mode ignore any mods? Does it already?

Things I'd love to see in the town logs:
- more info on the town start, like char-level / town-level and details on all user selected (character)modifiers (most of em are already in there I believe)
- if this is possible, info on active mods (if only just a filename)
- when set/unique etc. items are found plus (some of) the item's details (already in there?)

The mentioning of 'can put any type of item here' when hovering over an empty space in the inventory... As far as I'm concerned that might as well be removed. It's kind of obvious, and the hovering text obscures stuff in the inventory so I keep flicking my mouse around to 'clear' my view on my items.

Last edited by Maledictus : 03-10-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:44 AM
Legend

I know this has been mentioned before, but once the game reaches level 50 and on, the leveling aspect drags on. You get the same experience for killing a monster at lvl 1. This is actually major as not everyone has aoe power. Maybe experience should go up by each new level. Even a bit would really help. I feel even lvl 30 and on doesnt give almost any experience unless you really risk it and go 10-14 levels higher than yours.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:45 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight1728 View Post
I know this has been mentioned before, but once the game reaches level 50 and on, the leveling aspect drags on. You get the same experience for killing a monster at lvl 1. This is actually major as not everyone has aoe power. Maybe experience should go up by each new level. Even a bit would really help. I feel even lvl 30 and on doesnt give almost any experience unless you really risk it and go 10-14 levels higher than yours.
I'm not sure there is a way to mod monster xp by level, but the issue could be approached from the other direction. At level 50 you need about 82,200 xp to get to level 51. This number grows by 3% each level (starting at 51) until you need nearly 350,000 xp to go from 99 to 100. By changing the 3% to some lower number, you could reduce the grind.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caal View Post
I'm not sure there is a way to mod monster xp by level, but the issue could be approached from the other direction. At level 50 you need about 82,200 xp to get to level 51. This number grows by 3% each level (starting at 51) until you need nearly 350,000 xp to go from 99 to 100. By changing the 3% to some lower number, you could reduce the grind.
Thats good to know and might work. The only reason i am saying this is that classes that arent fast slayers and rely on defensive strategies (demon hunter) take longer time to defeat monsters. The demon hunter if played differently is one of those characters. If you play defensively by say using the wards or the circle of power/protection, then you can be powerful but you will defeat monsters much slower. Something should be done to help reaching higher levels, thats all i know.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:30 PM
Elite

Do NOT modify the # of experience required per-level.

Modify the XP granted per-monster. There are level-based factors in the systems.gdb that will modify the XP granted on kills.

I modded the XP/level system to playtest character builds for the conversations on skill/spell balance. What I found is that going back to an un-modded game meant that I have a nice high level, but a HUGE gap in XP to the next level. If you change XP/level and ever wanted to go back to an unmodded game -- say to play multiplayer or even you changed your mind, or wanted to test other options for play -- you would have this enormous "XP Debt" to get up to the next level. No fun.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:42 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisses View Post
Modify the XP granted per-monster. There are level-based factors in the systems.gdb that will modify the XP granted on kills.
I knew you could apply flat multiples to monster xp by type (normal, champion, boss, etc.), but I didn't know it could vary by level. Which lines in systems.gdb do that?
Old 03-13-2011, 04:20 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caal View Post
I knew you could apply flat multiples to monster xp by type (normal, champion, boss, etc.), but I didn't know it could vary by level. Which lines in systems.gdb do that?
I ***believe*** those are per-level modifiers to a base XP somewhere in the system. I suggest experimenting. You'll still need to kill more monsters per-level, but it will be less than before. It's unreasonable for the difficulty not to go up somewhat. I think I doubled the modifiers, and it's still taking more kills-per-level, so I'm not sure how strongly that factors in. I think around level 20 I'm getting from 300+XP up to 2000XP per kill.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:39 PM
Legend

Does anyone use maces at all or are they just not worth it? I got a few maces with stunning blow added and a dps of like 75. Not that bad for 50, but still very slow. I was thinking of using the paladin class, however there is no mastery for swords. Kind of a waste.