Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2011, 09:08 PM
Legend

Default Is Dins not ranged friendly?

It's kind of weird but ive played the game always with the melee mentality, sometimes mixed with a bit of magic, but never ranged characters like the ranger. I always never played them because they 'seemed' way too overpowered and because i like a challenge. But now i gave them a shot and its pretty fun.

What I want to know is if i am the only one who thinks that dins doesnt have enough ranged characters.

-Warrior, Rogue, Demon Hunter, (Paladin from Priest class)

3 Full classes and 1 subclass of melee combat users and i still count trickster even though they have shuriken.

-Wizard, Conjurer, Priest (except paladin).

2 and two thirds classes of magic balance it out between either melee or magic. Now it gets interesting.

-Ranger, (Trickster class due to shuriken)

1 and 1/3 classes of ranged. This category seems to be much desired. The weird thing is I think that the ranger classes are excellently done but still could use another ranged character.

Now I know that bows are a must and that everyone wants crossbows (die d3! but maybe there could be another way to make a ranged character. This prally sucks but w/e.

Bard-

Troubadour-One handed sword user and finesse fighter-maybe onehanded weapon mastery.

Jester-Illusion master and beguiler and wields mini crossbows and daggers. This character is a mix class of melee, magic and ranged.

Skald-Wields onehanded swords and crossbows and is very hardy. Also has bard songs that can do many things.

I dont know if this would be a good ranged class but i do know that bards usually would fall under those categories and since balance is good I think that might fix the balance between melee and magic largely outweighing ranged in numbers.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:37 PM
Legend

Im just going to rant on here, so dont mind me.

-Troubadours will no doubt have to be different from the occasional fighter. I was thinking of having them utilize a lot of fast attacks like berserk (but not that fast). I think that fast attacks can be very deadly if you know how to use them. Even more deadly than the longer ones sometimes. Besides that, he will be offensive and defensive.

-Jesters will be a sort of thief class mixed with magic and ranged. Because crossbows dont require strength, critical hits will be more important as well as attack speed. Crossbows will be slower than bows but..i was thinking that crossbows can move to the target 3 times faster. On top of that, the jester would have many different elusive ways about him through illusion magic, along with maybe 1 melee attack since jesters do fight a little up close.

-Skalds are going to be the jack of all trades part of the 3 classes, even though that makes no sense. Skalds are warrior poet musicians, and as such will be a master of songs getting songs to slow hurt and stun opponents. Along with this, they should be the hardiest of the 3 getting a small health bonus since skalds are tough. Even though they dont get a bonus to hit, they get a modified arms mastery with all weapons. It might add a bit more than weaponmaster's arm mastery, but the difference would be that it would add a small attack speed bonus. That would help them hit with crossbows faster. The skald would have 1 melee attack and 1 ranged attack but would again be a mix of all trades.

I think somewhere one would need a lot of armor piercing since crossbows are known for that even more than bows.

Ill stop now
Old 03-12-2011, 09:40 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight1728 View Post
... and i still count trickster even though they have shuriken.
I have been using shuriken enough that there should be a metal shortage in town. Although trickster has hand-to-hand options, it is very playable with ranged attacks.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:41 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bak View Post
I have been using shuriken enough that there should be a metal shortage in town. Although trickster has hand-to-hand options, it is very playable with ranged attacks.
I freaking love Shuriken!!!! My trickster/weaponmaster can do it all and is nearing 10,000 kills without a single death.

DRAT! Spoke too soon. First death comes at 9,617.

Last edited by Max_Powers : 03-12-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 12:48 AM
Legend

I like shuriken too. However, i dislike stealth because for me, theres always one time i forget to activate it and that one time is when i get in over my head. The only problem with stealth, if there is any, is that you need to know what you are getting into before each engagement, because without it you are only half as effective. This is all my opinion though. I would make a build with trickster but the class is almost pointless taking unless you are using stealth.

There is another thing too though. I made a trickster/hunter once that was a mix of melee and ranged. He used shuriken, jab, stealth and light touch. That was an actually interesting build for me. I botched it though as i found it way too easy. I never died. I like to have some sort of challenge when i play I like the hunter build much better as light touch is automatic.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Elite

Quote:
There is another thing too though. I made a trickster/hunter once that was a mix of melee and ranged. He used shuriken, jab, stealth and light touch. That was an actually interesting build for me. I botched it though as i found it way too easy. I never died. I like to have some sort of challenge when i play I like the hunter build much better as light touch is automatic.
My trickster/hunter dies plenty... I don't use shuriken, I use barbed arrow -- maybe that's a mistake... And I'll often traipse into a room unseen, pick a corner and open fire on the room. I've even run around levels without stealth on-purpose to see how the other half lives (or because I'm looking for ghosts & lurking broods etc.). There was a point that everything was discovering me for some reason. Maybe it's dungeons with many doors and me with the immolation trap...however I'm level 50 and now I'm finding I get discovered WAY less often -- and with light touch so high (a little over 50% I think) I almost don't need stealth to walk through a room without provoking anyone.

If the combo "works" that well for you, then try it as a hardcore combo! If you "never" died, then maybe that's the character combo you can take to level 100 hardcore!
Old 03-13-2011, 01:49 PM
Legend

Valid point. What i really wanted to do was try playing a melee trickster class without stealth. I know it sounds stupid but hear me out. Get light touch up to 50%. Get ice trap to a decent level, not much for damage but for dealing with crouds. Then the main damage dealer will be jab which is good because it is fast 1.1 second, has some crit bonus. The only thing that is stopping me would be whether i should use feint or gouge. Gouge will make them less likely to hit me and a little crit, but feint makes my criticals devastating and even adds crushing blow. I would most likely need to use one handed swords for this combo, which is interesting for a change.

It might actually work since you dont have to pump stealth all the time as light touch is passive. And it will have a bit of challenge to it. I dont know, ill have to think about it. What do you think crisses?
Old 03-13-2011, 03:10 PM
Elite

Quote:
Valid point. What i really wanted to do was try playing a melee trickster class without stealth. I know it sounds stupid but hear me out. Get light touch up to 50%. Get ice trap to a decent level, not much for damage but for dealing with crouds. Then the main damage dealer will be jab which is good because it is fast 1.1 second, has some crit bonus. The only thing that is stopping me would be whether i should use feint or gouge. Gouge will make them less likely to hit me and a little crit, but feint makes my criticals devastating and even adds crushing blow. I would most likely need to use one handed swords for this combo, which is interesting for a change.

It might actually work since you dont have to pump stealth all the time as light touch is passive. And it will have a bit of challenge to it. I dont know, ill have to think about it. What do you think crisses?
I see a challenge with the crushing blows -- especially if you're hardcore and doing close-combat -- they'll bring the roof down on your head and this class won't have much protection from it. If you live, standing in a pile of rock is another problem, because you're going to need to be quick on your feet. Chopping stones with your good weapon is a pain...assuming you lived.

When you have a big crowd, especially coming from different directions, you are going to be in a lot of trouble. The cooldown on the ice trap will be a dealbreaking issue -- I'd back it up with the net trap to give you 2 options for crowd-control with separate cooldown timers. I also suggest just 1 level in fire trap for blowing things up near critters -- works nice when you take down stacks of barrels (webs, exploding barrels, pillars...) with a horde next to it or trapped behind it -- if it doesn't kill them, maybe it will bring down the roof on their heads. Good riddance. It's excellent crowd control when you're able to be in that situation.

Getting Light Touch up quick enough to see a big difference will be the issue. Although I may have noticed it working sooner if I weren't usually stealthed, I see a big difference now when I'm not stealthed -- at level 50 with Light Touch around level 12 or so. Thankfully it's easy to live at low levels.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:11 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisses View Post
My trickster/hunter dies plenty... I don't use shuriken, I use barbed arrow -- maybe that's a mistake... And I'll often traipse into a room unseen, pick a corner and open fire on the room. I've even run around levels without stealth on-purpose to see how the other half lives (or because I'm looking for ghosts & lurking broods etc.). There was a point that everything was discovering me for some reason. Maybe it's dungeons with many doors and me with the immolation trap...however I'm level 50 and now I'm finding I get discovered WAY less often -- and with light touch so high (a little over 50% I think) I almost don't need stealth to walk through a room without provoking anyone.

If the combo "works" that well for you, then try it as a hardcore combo! If you "never" died, then maybe that's the character combo you can take to level 100 hardcore!
In my characters defense, if he had been hardcore I could have survived. I was right there at the stairs to the previous level and safety, but I was stubborn.

I had previously thought that this would make a good HC character, but I am still just not that big on HC. One day when I do an HC character I will definitely try the trickster/weaponmaster combo.
Old 03-13-2011, 04:27 PM
Elite

I think one of the "weaknesses" of the trickster/hunter combo -- if you're planning to go offense/melee -- is that the strength of both of those skill trees is basically defense, SEP*-field, or kill-before-they-get-here. It's not head-to-head. That would be dangerously challenging -- especially on hardcore.

*SEP = "Someone Else's Problem"-field -- c.f. Hitchhiker's Guide series by Douglas Adams -- modified invisibility/cloaking power that grants the ability to be entirely visible but for people not to really see you because they think that someone else is going to take care of it. Protection via procrastination/apathy. That's what I consider Light Touch to be. "Oh, look -- a human skulking around. Well, I'm in the middle of making soup for the family in this cauldron. I'll take care of him when I'm done."