Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Demon War
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2011, 01:47 AM
Amateur

Default Open Letter to Shadow: TORNADO IS OP

Disclaimer: I'm not talking about Tornado skill that the Sorcerer has, I'm talking about the random hazard which is accompanied by this message:

A tornado has touched down in town.

I've lost 2 freaking towns in a row now, and I just can't do ANYTHING about it. What can you actually even do against Tornadoes, when they land in the middle of your town and slain all your important NPC's in a heartbeat?? Case in point:

http://www.soldak.com/forums/attachm...1&d=1300595767

The reason I'm so pissed about this thing is, -everything- in the game, no matter how insane, how random, how illogical, is -manageable-. Deal-able. But these Tornado is pretty much game-breaking. Towns lost without being able to do a single thing. Oh yeah, you can feed the NPCs to "outlast" the Tornado, but it's not enough (I've tried for the 1st town with my lone Steward, he's still dead).

I'm sorry, but I've got no good suggestions for you on how to deal with this problem. Rather than removing Tornado altogether, but I doubt you want that. Maybe giving Tornado a Fear effect that caused nearby NPCs to run away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FU tornado.JPG (48.2 KB, 43 views)
Old 03-20-2011, 02:59 AM
Expert

Having the tornado impart a fear effect is an excellent idea. Frankly, it's rather absurd how NPCs just stand there and get torn to shreds when a tornado descends upon them.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:04 AM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun123 View Post
Having the tornado impart a fear effect is an excellent idea. Frankly, it's rather absurd how NPCs just stand there and get torn to shreds when a tornado descends upon them.
I kinda feel that way when giant 4-armed demons spawn from a hellish portal to lay waste to the peasants armed with sticks and sheep-skin clothes.

I haven't had too much trouble with tornadoes but I had a fun little time when I didn't have my teleport stone active, the portal was blocked and demons were slaughtering my citizens AT THE SAME TIME that a tornado was running wild.

-_- I think perhaps rather than saying "you can't save every town" we could say "most towns are pretty much screwed from the get go if you set the speed too high".
Old 03-20-2011, 03:28 AM
Expert

It seems that the villagers tend to be both brave and foolish, and fight the demons rather than flee from them. An interesting twist on the game would be to have the town modifiers (rowdy, heroic, etc.) affect the villagers' reaction to the demons, causing them to fight or flee. Perhaps their could be a "cowardly" (or, maybe "rational") modifier causing them to flee rather than stay and fight. These modifiers might very well effect how one would need to react to the invasions.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:56 PM
Expert

I feel like there should be some way to make them rally in the town center or something... I'm not trying to bash the game but when you are armed with a stick and no armor and then proceed to try to take out a 20-foot demon, I consider that to be bad AI.

It isn't a huge deal, but it's silly.
Old 03-20-2011, 01:30 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srulz View Post
Maybe giving Tornado a Fear effect that caused nearby NPCs to run away.
I have suggested this in the past , and agree that it is a good idea. When I suggested it there were also an insane amount of tornadoes spawning as well, so once that was fixed it didn't even seem like an issue anymore.

The only way an NPC should get killed by a tornado is if the tornado spawns right on top of them, they get caught somehow so that they can't get out of it's way, they are slowed too much or frozen in place some how, they are made oblivious some how to the tornadoes approach, and/or the tornado is moving so quickly that they can't get out of it's way.(Did I miss any?)

Last edited by Max_Powers : 03-20-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 03:08 PM
Legend

Never liked those tornadoes. Fear doesn't really solve the issue, because NPCs will just flee them and then the tornado becomes an extraneous element. How about all the NPCs go to their shelter when the tornado arrives aka the first dungeon level?
Old 03-20-2011, 06:36 PM
Expert

That's an interesting idea, Bluddy. The first level of the dungeon is, of course, a natural tornado shelter. Perhaps a challenge when faced with "tornado alley" towns would be to clear out the 1st level ASAP, before a tornado lands.
Old 03-21-2011, 01:19 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwhacker2k View Post
I kinda feel that way when giant 4-armed demons spawn from a hellish portal to lay waste to the peasants armed with sticks and sheep-skin clothes.
Take a closer look. Some of those peasants are wearing soft armor types that need dozens of character levels and wielding weapons that have triple-digit attribute requirement totals. Then they do single-digit damage every time...

If you're in a town afflicted by Furies, the peasants and their equipment are almost certain to be L20+. Basic clubs and short swords are long gone by that point.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:13 PM
Expert

Oh, my mistake then. Well equipped for orc raids while being slaughtered by 4-armed demons then.