Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Drox Operative > Drox Operative game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2013, 07:36 PM
Expert

Default Suggestions for the next patch

Play up to level 15 has given me these impressions for things that need changing.

Sectors are either too small, or too cluttered. You cannot move for more than five seconds without running into a crowd of enemies. If you find yourself doing badly, you can't run away: it just spirals out of control as you aggro increasing amounts of mobs. There is no room for maneuvering, no real time for the diplomacy. Half the time I'm unable to repair because the planets aggro the nearest crowd of mobs. It also seems to me that they respawn too fast, too.

A typical scenario is like this: Move three seconds in any direction from a friendly planet. Aggro a crowd of mobs. Kill them. After returning to repair your ship, you move out again, in the same direction. Three seconds out you run into another cloud. Rinse and repeat. You can barely make it to a warp gate/starlane without having upwards of ten guys on your tail, which it seems like waste of time in killing because there will be another ten the next second.

Every enemy seems to have homing missiles. Change this. I'm just not interested in shooting down twelve or more missiles every second, before it's even possible to attack any of the ships firing them. Some of them should use other weapons, or just spawn with a random loadout. Or just give the player the chance to evade the missiles. As it is you just stack up on armour and shielding and soak all the damage up because there isn't any other choice.

The mines and glowing globes things and everything else that I can neither target, nor shoot down, nor will affect anything else but me. Why?
No. That's just frustrating. I've found whole lanes of them spawning, and it'd be fine if I were able to use the mines and whatever to my advantage by luring an enemy into one, but for some inexplicable reason I am unable to. So when I find myself being chased by the aforementioned snowballing giant swarms of enemies, I can't kill a bunch of them by luring them into the scenery, I just have to avoid it myself and they will always be fine. Like I said, that's more frustrating than anything else.

It's a real shame because the more open universe and diplomacy aspect of the game are really interesting, but they get buried under endless swathes of mobs and missiles.

Last edited by MasterMorality : 05-30-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:09 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMorality View Post
Play up to level 15 has given me these impressions for things that need changing.

Sectors are either too small, or too cluttered. You cannot move for more than five seconds without running into a crowd of enemies. If you find yourself doing badly, you can't run away: it just spirals out of control as you aggro increasing amounts of mobs. There is no room for maneuvering, no real time for the diplomacy. Half the time I'm unable to repair because the planets aggro the nearest crowd of mobs. It also seems to me that they respawn too fast, too.

A typical scenario is like this: Move three seconds in any direction from a friendly planet. Aggro a crowd of mobs. Kill them. After returning to repair your ship, you move out again, in the same direction. Three seconds out you run into another cloud. Rinse and repeat. You can barely make it to a warp gate/starlane without having upwards of ten guys on your tail, which it seems like waste of time in killing because there will be another ten the next second.

Every enemy seems to have homing missiles. Change this. I'm just not interested in shooting down twelve or more missiles every second, before it's even possible to attack any of the ships firing them. Some of them should use other weapons, or just spawn with a random loadout. Or just give the player the chance to evade the missiles. As it is you just stack up on armour and shielding and soak all the damage up because there isn't any other choice.

The mines and glowing globes things and everything else that I can neither target, nor shoot down, nor will affect anything else but me. Why?
No. That's just frustrating. I've found whole lanes of them spawning, and it'd be fine if I were able to use the mines and whatever to my advantage by luring an enemy into one, but for some inexplicable reason I am unable to. So when I find myself being chased by the aforementioned snowballing giant swarms of enemies, I can't kill a bunch of them by luring them into the scenery, I just have to avoid it myself and they will always be fine. Like I said, that's more frustrating than anything else.

It's a real shame because the more open universe and diplomacy aspect of the game are really interesting, but they get buried under endless swathes of mobs and missiles.
There's Yellow Slot Components in the game that auto-defend against Missiles, though I dunno the earliest level they start being able to drop.

Later in the game, ya also start seeing dropage of Weapons that can AOE Damage, I especially like the EM Shockwave & the Geomagnetic Storm. I have fond memories of my usage of the Pulsar Generator as well, especially vs enemy race planets.

Hope this helps. The first ship is always the hardest, I speak from experience.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:02 PM
Elite

With experience, and as you discover new components, practically every one of your problems will go away.

Your ship will become able to make most missiles miss, and even just outrun some. You could also mount different components that can shoot down missiles, and not just one by one.

You will not need to go back to a planet to repair. Hell, you may find yourself deliberately running around to collect more enemies so that you can blow them up together.

The mines are a pain, and I agree that there could be a way to get rid of them, in addition to bringing an invulnerability shield up, and running into them. That said, they are a nice way to destroy race ships and planets without being at war with them. I've also used them, at low levels, to get rid of bosses with extra high defense.

From your post, it seems that you have only played for a bit, and that most of your enemies have been of the swarm class. There are a few dozens of monster ships, and missile users are only a small portion. Believe me, as you play longer you will see many different weapons used on your ship, and you will wish more of the enemy used swarm missiles.