Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2009, 08:04 PM
Expert

Default Random suggestions for Din's Curse

Kivi's underworld had a much better and more enjoyable control system. Please have the ability to bind skills directly to mouse buttons instead of DoP's keystroke system.

More music! DoP was such a sparse experience aurally once you left the city. I liked how Kivi's music came out when the action got thick, but in general the games are so quiet I find my attention wandering when I'm just traveling or looking for secrets.

More customizable equipment, possibly with a socketing mechanic. In DoP I would usually get a really good weapon then stick with it for hours before the game spat up a better one, why not let us do a little more customizing with our weapons in the meantime?

Soften the difficulty ramping up in comparison to DoP's.

I'm very iffy on the name. Din's curse? Doesn't sound as enticing as diving into some depths filled with peril. In fact it sounds rather dim.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:13 AM
Champion

Personally I loved how you had the main theme music in town, and ambiance sound in the wilderness. It created a rhythm, from going in and out of town.

I also like the ambiance music in the dungeons.

I generally don't mind combat music too much (some are really well done, eg. EverQuest II), but it gets tiring fast. I have a friend who hates it, he always turns off combat music if he cans, in any game.

For items I would add the suggestion to add "proc" effects. You see this often in MMO's it also has a nice side effect that it allows for example fighter classes to enjoy some buffs reserved to other classes (as a "proc" spell, with limited time and % proc chance).

Looking forward to Din's Curse!
Old 10-24-2009, 01:22 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief Maker View Post
Kivi's underworld had a much better and more enjoyable control system. Please have the ability to bind skills directly to mouse buttons instead of DoP's keystroke system.
One problem with that is that there will be more than one active skill per class. However it would be nice if you could assign a skill to the right and center mouse buttons.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I'm looking at ways to something along these lines. Like Qwerytykeys said though, it was a lot easier with Kivi since you only have 1 active skill per class.

Quote:
More music! DoP was such a sparse experience aurally once you left the city. I liked how Kivi's music came out when the action got thick, but in general the games are so quiet I find my attention wandering when I'm just traveling or looking for secrets.
Right now I'm planning the music to be similar to how Kivi worked. There will probably be more dungeon/cave sounds also.

Quote:
More customizable equipment, possibly with a socketing mechanic. In DoP I would usually get a really good weapon then stick with it for hours before the game spat up a better one, why not let us do a little more customizing with our weapons in the meantime?
I'm not sure about customizable yet, but there are way more item and magic modifier types in Din's compared to DoP.

Quote:
I'm very iffy on the name. Din's curse? Doesn't sound as enticing as diving into some depths filled with peril. In fact it sounds rather dim.
I've discovered that naming things is very hard and it's impossible to please everyone. I actually got a lot of flak about Depths of Peril as a name too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fab View Post
For items I would add the suggestion to add "proc" effects. You see this often in MMO's it also has a nice side effect that it allows for example fighter classes to enjoy some buffs reserved to other classes (as a "proc" spell, with limited time and % proc chance).
We do have a lot of proc effects on items. There are 18 types right now and more are planned. Some of these are Ego related.
Patreon
Old 10-24-2009, 04:45 PM
Champion

I quite like Din's Curse as a random person. To be fair: Something like naming sense is ALWAYS modified, for ill or gain, by the box art/"face" to the game. So, an evocative visual for the title to live upon would surely help cement it for other folk.

I don't know that I can think of any especially nifty suggestions---perhaps to make an effort to see if the game plays nice with the various gameplay capture programs so as to facilitate Let's Plays, speedruns, challenge vids, and all manner of other things that drive enjoyment and visibility post launch.
Old 10-25-2009, 01:37 AM
Elite

I liked DoP's keystroke system except for one thing- when you have powers that are only available under special circumstances (which is cool), you tend to look away from the action a lot to see whether your power has lit up.

I don't know how to solve that, but there it is.

Oh, and in the meantime, I finally killed my harddrive with a corrupted sector. Wish me luck retrieving my save game data once I slave it to a functioning system. I've got a rogue at level 50. Or at least I did...
Old 10-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Amateur

As an idea for mouse control of skills:

Have several "banks" of skill assignments to each mouse button that can be changed with the scroll wheel. So the player could set up trios of skills for different situations (standard, low on mana, boss fight1, boss fight2), and change them quickly with the wheel.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:11 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadfan View Post
I liked DoP's keystroke system except for one thing- when you have powers that are only available under special circumstances (which is cool), you tend to look away from the action a lot to see whether your power has lit up.
I do believe that they flash in the middle on the screen?
Or, is that just for refreshed skills?
Old 10-26-2009, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I don't know how to solve that, but there it is.
Like Guenwhyever said, the icon should flash in the middle of the screen.

Quote:
Oh, and in the meantime, I finally killed my harddrive with a corrupted sector. Wish me luck retrieving my save game data once I slave it to a functioning system. I've got a rogue at level 50. Or at least I did...
I hope you manage to recover everything. Losing a hard drive is always a pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnutz View Post
As an idea for mouse control of skills:

Have several "banks" of skill assignments to each mouse button that can be changed with the scroll wheel. So the player could set up trios of skills for different situations (standard, low on mana, boss fight1, boss fight2), and change them quickly with the wheel.
I am thinking of something along these lines. I'm not sure about the mouse wheel part though since that controls the zoom right now.
Patreon
Old 11-05-2009, 03:00 PM
Amateur

i heard about this game today and i got really excited 'cause i liked DoP, im still playing it after year or something ^^

BUT on DoP there is one annoying thing when you are at high level. When you play with easy, other covenants doesnt attack so easily and you can play game for long time but after few hours it will become boring. and when you play with harder difficulties, covenants attacks after 30-60mins of playing and you have to kill them right away and after that, there isnt other covenants to "fight" about quests. and game will become boring even more easier 'cause you have to start everything again...

I dont have played Kivi's underworld more than 20 mins because i didnt like that "complete level(map) and start other" thing...

So now i want to ask, will there be these things on Din's Curse?