Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2010, 01:37 PM
Expert

Default My single biggest complaint/suggestion about this game

Make the dungeon generator always put the boss on the bottom floor.

My first game was a huge apocalyptic thrill ride of near death experiences as the situation for the town got worse and worse, thanks mostly to the actions of the boss who was buried deep in the dungeon where I couldn't get at him.

Then the Random Number Generator spat up a series of dungeons where the "boss" was some pipsqueak hanging around the upper floors that I wiped out handily, and the remainder of the game was spent collecting velvet ant stingers. BORING!

I don't know about you, but I always viewed the "boss" monster of an RPG dungeon to be a big bad you're fighting your way towards and building up your power to take on. The boss' eventual defeat is supposed to be the huge climactic victory of the story. <I>Sometimes</I> Din's curse has that pacing, but whenever I get a shallow boss the town just sort of fizzles out.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:38 PM
Expert

Interesting. I had almost the exact opposite reaction you did. I found it refreshing that the boss wasn't always on the bottom level. It just feels kind of linear without much reason (surely the biggest threat doesn't need to be the deepest!) if you know right away the boss is on the bottom floor.

Plus, I enjoyed hanging around towns I'd saved to explore a few more dungeon levels.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:42 AM
Elite

I too don't think they should always be on the lowest floor. Keeps things fresh. Bosses, to me, are just another quest to solve. While they are one of the biggest threats around, having earthquake machines and needing to rescue someone on the lower levels are often just as important to me as killing a boss.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:06 PM
Amateur

Sometimes the boss monster is not the real problem. I've had towns where the second level of the dungeon was filled with dimension gates and swarming with monsters. My character could never complete any quests because he would be swamped on that level and die. I haven't encountered that on the later versions of the game--maybe the dimension gates have been toned down a little, plus the levers that open teleport gates on lower levels helps a lot.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:36 PM
Amateur

Maybe you shouldnt have a boss on every map but maybe something like you have a rare chance when creating a new world to find a crazy hard boss at the bottom of the level that drops some good gear or something.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:20 AM
Amateur

I like it just the way it is. Sometimes you get towns that are too easy. Sometimes you get towns that are too hard. And the, sometimes you get towns that are just right. Goldilocks couldn't ask for more...