Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2010, 07:38 AM
Amateur

Default How can I make this harder?

Hi everyone. Me and my brother have been playing this game, but we are finding it very easy. We just finished a world in which we were level 44, and we played an elite game with them level 60, and we had fast pace on. If we got separated due to falling down a hole we still managed to fight our way to a gate and escape with no problems.

We are now trying a world at level 70 elite, to see if that challenges us. Could you perhaps suggest anything to make the game harder for us? Even with fast pace on we tend to end worlds with only 17 quests completed, whereas previously (before installing the latest beta patch, in case that has anything to do with it) we had a world with 50+ quests completed which was much harder, yet much more fun.

Any suggestion to make the game fun, via mods or otherwise are appreciated.

Thanks,

Philip.

Last edited by Sasha Nein : 07-24-2010 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Edit: Added a sentence.
Old 07-24-2010, 07:46 AM
Expert

I felt the same way, in fact I was at the point in which I found Din's to be rather boring. However, a friend of mine suggested playing on Hardcore... Ever since then Din's has gone from being a regular hack and slash level run to a game that requires me to constantly battle for my life and make choices carefully. Hardcore is sure to make your games much harder (especially around the third town or so...) and enjoyable.

Sasha Nein, you should play your next game like I do. Enable the Hardcore and Honorable Death modes, and make sure the monsters level is on Hard. I also suggest not playing with any mods.

Let me know how you do.

Oh and multiplayer on Hardcore is a blast, just make sure you watch out for your teammates.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

There are other options that make the game harder (for new characters at least) like cursed, fragile, etc.

You could also use the challenge mod from our mod page to make the game harder. You could even change all of the numbers in that mod to tailor the difficulty to whatever you wanted relatively easily.
Patreon
Old 07-24-2010, 09:36 AM
Amateur

Thanks for both the replies. I have started a new character on hardcore / honourable death and will see how that works out.

Are there any mods that allow for making a world have more quests / more dynamic events such as meetings and town-attacks and so on? These definitely add a more frantic element to the games that I feel is more fun. Also, is it possible to choose a world's modifiers?
Old 07-24-2010, 10:09 AM
Expert

I think you could easily do that with a mod. Check out the SDK, its actually pretty simple, just gotta screw around with it a bit.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:45 AM
Amateur

I don't understand what you mean by "easy" exactly. How many times have you died getting to level 70? IMO, if it's more than once, then you're doing it wrong. Even without the consequence of death I think it's still fun to find new items, boss monsters, develop characters, and learn about different ways to do things, but I can see where some might not get excited about that.

Anyway, I completely agree that hardcore is where it's at. I won't play any other way with dungeon crawlers. The added consequences of perma-death really makes things much more exciting, and brings added meaning to the game. I have a tough time getting past level 25 on hardcore.

However, it probably wouldn't hurt if there were some new mode that added higher difficulty on top of the ones that already exist. Not a difficulty level like Champion or Elite mind you, but a new mode like Hardcore, Poverty, Fragile, Honorable Death, etc. to be checked when you roll your character. For example, something like "Hell" or "Chaos" mode to add more health or up the number of monsters...err something. Maybe even a "Players X" like in single player Diablo II. Yes?

Sorry I just don't like mods, altering the game myself just makes it feel "dirty" or something. I know it sounds weird but I just don't like, lol.

Last edited by THAC0 : 07-24-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-24-2010, 11:55 AM
Expert

I actually agree with you about mods feeling dirty but only in certain cases.

For instance the Safer CaveIn mod is great for avoiding stupid deaths in Din's... I used it for a week, but I felt that it was cheating in some way. However, mods that make the game harder I have no problem with, I think I'll go ahead and try to make a mod that ups town attacks and such.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:21 PM
Champion

Sasha, what characters classes do you play?
Old 07-24-2010, 06:22 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by fab View Post
Sasha, what characters classes do you play?
My first character was a hybrid of frost mage and necromancer. This turned out crazily overpowered, as I just ran around spamming frost nova, every kill getting me mana (thanks to the necro side of things) and I could easily take on bosses many levels above me.

Due to this being no fun, I restarted as a Ranger. However, this soon turned out to be quite similar, with me being able to throw down a net trap (whilst running away from a monster) and kite the enemies easily, with my poison arrow being so cheap in terms of mana I could just use that as my default attack.

I am wondering if the fact that I can move and attack/cast abilities is the root of these seemingly overpowered classes?
Old 07-24-2010, 08:08 PM
Elite

Caster characters are far easier to play than melee classes in Din's. This has pretty much been the case since the beta. The melee classes (who's comparitive strength is determined by the quality of their gear) are a lot more of a challenge. You can even pick a defender/defender hybrid for a real tough time (that's evil!).

But I agree with lots of the other posters. If you aren't playing hardcore, then really you are just marking time to lvl100. I can see how some people might find that fun, but for me after playing a rogue to lvl70 or so, found it quite boring. In hardcore mode you're forced to weigh up options more, need to check vendors, and generally avoid overpowered monsters. This can make saving towns a *LOT* more difficult. Hardcore FTW.