Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2010, 09:14 PM
Expert

Question Elite, Artifact and Legendary

Unfortunately it seems these high ranked items have fixed bonuses. It's like enjoying a seven course gourmet meal and then discovering they're bringing McDonalds for dessert. I play this game with my brothers once a week and the last thing we want to see is our high end characters equipped with one or two *identical* high end items!! The only slight different is a piece of armor might vary a few points in armor... otherwise two elites are exactly the same. With Din's Curse having so much wonderful unpredictable replay value.... I'm wondering why the top ranked items are so predictable??

Even if the item bonuses could vary it would be somewhat better, but I'm finding many identical orange and purple items. The second question is would it be possible for modifying Dins Curse so Elite items have 5 random bonuses, then Artifacts have 6 random bonuses and Legendary have 7 or 8 random bonuses??
Old 11-23-2010, 11:17 PM
Amateur

I'm with ya on this one. It's a game of randomness, not much should be fixed. But, that's just my opinion. I love randomness.

Although, how does one go about if half the people like it the way it is and the other half want it the way you described it. I guess there are always mods.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:42 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTJedi View Post
The second question is would it be possible for modifying Dins Curse so Elite items have 5 random bonuses, then Artifacts have 6 random bonuses and Legendary have 7 or 8 random bonuses??
Already done. I've posted this mod before, again with thanks to GeorgiaBoy for the original code.
Attached Files
File Type: zip mod_UniquesFix.zip (400 Bytes, 25 views)
Old 11-24-2010, 12:56 PM
Expert

What version do you use? I found 3 different versions of Hellslayer Axe (i believe it's called that) with different (in % ) stats.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:53 PM
Expert

Default Need Randomness for high end items

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayoflife View Post
What version do you use? I found 3 different versions of Hellslayer Axe (i believe it's called that) with different (in % ) stats.
I use the most recent version available for download from this website.

Anyone who has a level_30+ character knows. I could understand the set items having identical stats... but why on earth it was done for the elite, artifact and legendary items is baffling since it diminishes the replay value considering multiple high level characters will be carrying several identical items. I have duplicate items already stored away knowing any new character will be equipped with the same stuff... is sad because I want my characters to be unique without sacrificing quality. I've even seen the jewelry merchant sell two identical pieces of elite jewelry.

Big Thanks for the mod Caal... I'll check with my brothers before we agree on using it.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:54 PM
Elite

wayoflife, are they different colors? The artifact and legendary versions should have more different stats; although instead, one stat could be assigned twice, simply making it a higher value. Also, for each rarity the DPS (or armor value for armor) will be a random number within a range. These ranges overlap, so you could have an elite with higher DPS than the artifact version.

What they are talking about, is that named items all have the same TYPES of stats for each rarity. For example, an elite item with a given name might always have intellect, armor piercing, strength, and +% weapon damage.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:02 PM
Champion

Uniques vary more than some realize. Their DPS/AC, which is an item's most important stat, varies probably twice as much as ordinary gear. Getting one from the bottom third of the range doesn't help when the fixed enchants are frequently nothing special.

It's hard enough to get 2-3 good enchants on a (Very) Rare item. Imagine how much it would stink to find a Legendary item with 3-4 useless enchants on it, which would happen much of the time. It's bad enough when the single added Legendary enchant is a curse,* something like Light +10, or a trivial boost like another 5% DPS/AC.

*Perversely enough, my only cursed Legendary item is made more useful by the curse, or at least by the curse's 25% cut in item requirements. Most curses aren't on the comparatively unimportant Spirit or Intelligence (for non-casters/thieves) stats, though.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:53 PM
Legend

What i have noticed through playing is that most of the time there will be a minor difference in the modifier. However, some times about 33% of the time for me, i get a modifier that kicks ass. I had a dagger that had a 5% chance of casting a lvl 5 greater heal on me everytime it hits. This never normally came with the modifier, so im either lucky or somethings wrong.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:11 PM
Elite

Hey that's a nice one Deathknight. I had a 2H weapon that often cast flame wave, but my favorite has got to be my legendary rogue boots with 7.5 chance when hit to cast haste. That effect stacks, I have seen at least a 4 stack which makes me a blazing speed demon!! When I'm fighting packs I will often switch to normal attack when it procs and rapid fire all around. Almost makes up for not having Whirlwind... well not really, but still :P.

The worst modifier which I see quite frequently has to be Self Fear... ahhhh!

And Manu, I discovered int can actually be useful for a warrior (spi I still don't care about). I found a ~240 DPS legendary 2H axe with +220% crit, which gives me over 50% crit with crits for 13k+ damage with NO stat points assigned to int. If I make another warrior, it's going to get some int to take it to 100% crush AND crit. Unless a couple more low level +crit items will do the trick, I'll check once I've had my fill of my rogue lol.

Last edited by Nobear : 11-24-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:57 PM
Champion

@Deathknight:
I don't think modifiers get added to non-Legendary uniques, but they do sometimes get deleted. I had a post in the bug thread mentioning that. Some of my duplicate Hellhound Stabber daggers omit the 0-2 Poison damage, which is actually a benefit given that only physical damage scales and most monsters have little armor.

@Nobear
Keep in mind that weapons with both massive +Special Hit% and useful DPS* are mighty rare. It's easier to wear a Ridit's Eye necklace, Assassin Belt, Tore Gloves, or Fryse's Blue Ring (or whatever replaces them) if you want more Crits despite not being an INT type or having that 1 in a million weapon. Dual-wearing FBRs gives quad Crits to any weapon.

*One of my casters used a pathetic 5 DPS cursed club for a long, long time, only because it also had +160% Crit/Magic Crit.

Last edited by Manumitted : 11-24-2010 at 10:59 PM.