Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2011, 05:37 PM
Amateur

Default A rookie's list of questions... Please help? :3

Hey all. I recently bought the game + the expansion after playing the demo for a bit, and the new additions/mechanics implemented with the later patches and the expansion pack have befuddled me a little. I was wondering if you big, bad and experienced adventurers could help me? Thanks!

1. I was down in the dungeon exploring, when a message popped up: "Someone is setting traps in town!" or something like that. And shortly after it told me that the Warmaster had killed the Apothecary. I was all like WTF and went back up, only to see the corpse of the Apothecary over a pool of magma, right in the middle of the NPCs quest group. I think the Warmaster was a little hurt too.
So what's up with that? I understand if the Warmaster tried to light a couple magical matches under the Apho's feet, she was kind of a jerk anyways.
My question is, is that pool of magma always gonna be there? Can I get rid of it somehow?

2. So now the NPCs bash on each other all the time until they die. Sure, I can talk to them to stop the fighting (I think), but they just get back on each other's throats a couple of minutes later anyways. So why not just let them smash each other to bits?

3. I think (I'm not sure, I could be very wrong) I just spotted one of the Depths of Peril barbarians down in the dungeon, selling maces! How cool is that?
Was that added by a patch or the expansion?

4. Is there a way to directly raise a NPC's happiness? Or do I just give them money and hope for the best in the long run?

5. So the Apothecary is dead. Is there some way to get a new one, like a quest or something? What do I do?

6. Is there a real penalty to dying? I just pick up the soulstone and carry on, I get the debt EXP cleared after a while. Then again, I'm only level 10 or so.

7. Is there a way to actually lose the game? Like, lose lose? Like GAME OVER lose? I know you can win by getting your rep to a certain level, but can you lose the same way?

Sorry for the long post, and double sorry if this is the wrong place to ask these questions... I'm a newb to both the game and the forums. x3
Old 01-21-2011, 06:33 PM
Elite

1. In the original Din's Curse, the townspeople just stand in one place and occasionally have quests. In the expansion, the townspeople wander around and have happiness and money, and interact with each other. As for the magma, it will likely go away, but it depends on how it got there.

2. If a townsperson's happiness gets low enough, he's likely to cause trouble, start fights, poison the water supply, turn traitor, etc. If a townsperson dies, it reduces your reputation (I think).

3. There are barbarian vendors. That was introduced as part of the original game.

4. Not sure.

5. A quest will show up eventually where you can get a new Apothecary. There are optional quests for more smiths and vendors, etc.

6. Not unless you choose to play hardcore. When you're killed in hardcore, you're permanently dead.

7. If your Warmaster, Steward, and Apothecary are all killed or otherwise incapacitated (petrified, etc.), you lose the town. You get a stern lecture from Din, lose some reputation (I think) and have to start a new town. I don't think it's possible to get a bad enough reputation to have Din fire you.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:42 PM
Elite

Hey, welcome to the forums! Glad to see another new player enjoying the game

1. I'm pretty sure the only way to remove that is by playing as a Rogue with the Disarm Trap skill. Personally I've never seen an NPC use magma as a trap in town before, and it seems like maybe they should only be able to lay "normal" one-shot traps instead of the "pool of liquid" type.

2. Well, they won't always actually kill each other, often it's just a brief scuffle. Unfortunately I haven't found a reliable way of keeping them away from one another, though I believe you lose some reputation from the NPC's death.

3. I think as vendors they've always been around, but the expansion added new ones that raid the town. Never seen one before but I hear they're incredibly deadly.

4. Other than completing personal quests for them it doesn't look that way.

5. The game has a sort of internal countdown before it will offer you a quest to replace the Apothecary. Be patient and it'll show up eventually.

6. Playing on hardcore mode will lead to a game over if you die, and is also the only real major drawback to character death beyond XP debt. I want to say there's another option tat loses the town if you die but doesn't prevent you from using the character again with a new town.

7. See above.

Hope that answers your questions well enough!
Old 01-21-2011, 06:46 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoZark View Post
My question is, is that pool of magma always gonna be there? Can I get rid of it somehow?
I'm not sure. I've seen'em last forever, but never as part of a trap - just part of the town's lovely endemic scenery. You do have the option when chatting with an NPC to Switch Position though, which you can use to move the Warmaster further away from it.

Quote:
2. So now the NPCs bash on each other all the time until they die. Sure, I can talk to them to stop the fighting (I think), but they just get back on each other's throats a couple of minutes later anyways. So why not just let them smash each other to bits?
You certainly can let'em duel 'til death. Or you can intervene by killing one (though I think the rest of the NPCs frown on you for that). Or you can heal them, in which case they both turn on you instead. But I've never figured out a way to make peace between them, just prolong the vendetta unto death.

Quote:
4. Is there a way to directly raise a NPC's happiness? Or do I just give them money and hope for the best in the long run?
They get happier when you complete quests for them. I'm not sure if money makes'em happy or not, aside from completing the starving quest in that fashion.

Quote:
5. So the Apothecary is dead. Is there some way to get a new one, like a quest or something? What do I do?
I think that eventually the Steward will discover a new potential Apothecary and offer you a quest to recruit them (typically by killing x many of something on dungeon level x).

Quote:
6. Is there a real penalty to dying? I just pick up the soulstone and carry on, I get the debt EXP cleared after a while. Then again, I'm only level 10 or so.
It gets more annoying when you're -><- this close to completing a quest or saving an NPC and get killed. Also, as the Exp debt piles up it can get rather frustrating.

Quote:
7. Is there a way to actually lose the game? Like, lose lose? Like GAME OVER lose? I know you can win by getting your rep to a certain level, but can you lose the same way?
One word: Hardcore
Old 01-21-2011, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

Everyone has pretty much answered everything. I do have 1 tip on #1 though. If you find an empty vial, you can use the vial, and then click on the magma. You will get a nifty powerup and the magma will go away.
Patreon
Old 01-21-2011, 06:58 PM
Expert

welcome to the soldak games community Zeo

I agree that the barbarians are rather cool ;-)

however, as mentioned by FloodSpectre, you'll be less happy about them if they raid you

see here what happens:

Quote:
00:08:17 - Death & Destruction Barbarians are raiding the town!
00:08:24 - Clevelang (Townsperson) was killed by a Death & Destruction Barbarian!
00:08:30 - Penroy (Townsperson) was killed by a Death & Destruction Barbarian!
00:08:31 - Angeliss (Townsperson) was killed by a Death & Destruction Barbarian!
00:08:33 - Barbarian added to bestiary
00:08:33 - Barner (Townsperson) was killed by a Death & Destruction Barbarian!
00:08:37 - Que (Townsperson) was killed by a Death & Destruction Barbarian!
00:08:41 - Den (Apothecary) was killed by a Death & Destruction Barbarian!
00:08:43 - Phyllice (Vendor) was killed by a Death & Destruction Barbarian!
00:08:45 - Olga (Steward) was killed by a Death & Destruction Barbarian!
00:08:46 - Shania (Townsperson) was killed by a Death & Destruction Barbarian!
00:09:00 - Burn (Gambler) was killed by a Death & Destruction Barbarian!
00:09:05 - The attack on the town has been repelled

I was in town, and a second player (Nobear, an experienced player) came back from the dungeon as quick as possible. But 48 seconds are enough to make you loose the town twice (i think we didn't). The result is that i keep the teleport stone for barbarians even though they are rare

This reminds me that I wanted to talk about this kind of attacks that seem a bit over done. The difficulty is that unlike the common attacks that come out the gates relatively slowly, the barbarians seemed to spawn at the same time all over the town and moreover have a much higher lvl than the dungeon mobs (those where lvl 80 and the dungeon was around 70 if i remember right)

I'm not saying that they should be nerfed completely, a rare, especially challenging town invasion is good, but that's quite extreme.

Sry for going off topic

Last edited by Tar Palantir : 01-21-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:53 PM
Amateur

Hey thanks for all the replies, people! It's heartening to know that the community cares so much for the well being of other gamers.

1. Well, I don't know if the "magma puddle trap" was simply just laid there directly by the Warmaster, I just know that it was there, and that it probably killed the Apothecary.
There are a couple of magical defense tower things surrounding the quest givers, maybe the puddle was created by one of those or something?
I've yet to find an empty vial to put the magma in as Shadow says, I hope I find it or at least the puddle goes away soon. It's kinda making me nervous just sitting there next to the important people.

2. So no real solution to the NPC feuds except letting them kill each other? Lame... Oh well. Maybe in a later patch? :3

3. DeP Barbarians rule. I hope I can get my butt handed over to me in a raid at least once.

4. Keeping the town people happy is really hard, then. They barely have given me any personal quests (2 so far) and their happiness decreases faster than I'd like, at least 5 or 6 have died so far from rebels and feuds.

5. I hope the quest to find a new Apothecary shows up soon, then. I don't wanna lose this town, I'm so close to saving it.

6. Lol dying.

7. I really don't wanna lose, so I'll just play casually for now. Maybe when I'm better at the game I'll play in Hardcore. x.x

Thanks for all the helpful answers, people. You've been a really huge help. :3
Old 01-21-2011, 08:59 PM
Champion

One of best aspect of Din's to me is that some towns just can't be saved. The penalty for losing a town isn't that big. I'd rather have a hard time and lose a town then an easy time winning.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:42 PM
Elite

I've gotten the traps all over town message too. didn't know how to get rid of 3 - being magma pools. thanks Shadow for explaining how! Being a thief I could pretty much disarm most of them.

Welcome to the forums and the game.

Oh, and read the "Help for Beginners subject and check out the link at the beginning. I found/find it VERY useful.
Old 01-21-2011, 11:01 PM
Champion

If one of the townspeople gets in a fight with a quest giver, I usually try to give some better armor to the quest giver just to give them an edge.