Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Zombasite > Zombasite
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2018, 01:34 PM
Amateur

Default Bad Start

(Long read)

TL;DR - I love this game.

I got this game on Halloween during the Steam Halloween sale, and I would like to relate my starting experience.

I've been playing Soldak games since Depths of Peril, and I have at least 200 hours in Din's Curse, so I had an idea about what to expect from Zombasite.

When I created my character, I made a Hybrid Priest / Thief, because I like to have heal spells and also be able to disarm traps / open locks. That combination worked pretty well in Din's Curse, so I stuck with it.

After character creation, I kept the game pace at Normal and everything else as Random and selected level 0 as the starting point. Once I got into town, I went through all the different menus to check out the new stuff. I got to my clan screen and saw that one clan member was kidnapped and the other was turned to stone. I found the respective quests in the billboard and took them. I also read about the Nemesis and Arch-Nemesis.

After checking out all the new stuff, I set out to rescue my clan member. I didn't get more than one step passed the clan town gate before I got attacked by the Nemesis or Arch-Nemesis (I don't remember which one it was)! He was level 6 and I was only level 1 with my starting mace and no armor. Suffice to say, I didn't stand a chance. I took his health down a bit before he killed me and I respawned in town. The clan town was now indicated as being under attack, and he started destroying buildings. I went back and fought him, taking his health down more until he killed me again.

This went on for a bit... he probably killed me about 5 - 6 times. Suddenly, I get another notice that the Skree are now invading town. So not only do I have the (Arch)Nemesis, I now have 2 - 3 Skree to deal with at the same time. Fast forward 10 - 15 more deaths and the Nemesis is down and I can now start dealing with the Skree invasion. This whole time they're destroying buildings and stealing food and there are Soul Stones all over the place. Keep in mind I was still level 1 with only my starting mace...

I eventually stop the invasion and destroy their gate and now I have a few minutes of breathing room. I identify the new items I found and check out the crafting bench. I really like the feature of automatically giving items to your clan mates. They both got upgrades, even though they were still in dire straights (one is kidnapped and the other is a statue). I clicked on the billboard and find I completed 5 quests, though I don't remember what they were (defeating the Nemesis and stopping the Skree invasion were 2 of them).

Now that all of that was taken care of and I was level 2, I headed out (more cautiously) to complete the quests to rescue my clan mates. It was pretty much uneventful. I found the kidnapped guy nearby and the item drops for the statue guy came quick. I get back to town and turn in the statue quest, the clan mate recovers, and... another town invasion. This time it was super-strong Ragnars (levels 3 - 5). The statue guy dies almost instantly, and I die 3 - 4 more times fending them off. During this time someone poisons the water supply, and now my food is down to 14. On top of that, the last remaining clan mate gets poisoned and I have an hour to cure him.

I didn't have much time to react to that since ANOTHER town invasion started right away and he didn't make it. The 10 minute countdown timer starts. I cure the poison from the water supply and find an NPC to recruit with about 2 minutes left, and immediately send him on a hunting expedition. I did manage to find some food, so it was back up to 22. After he gets back from hunting, another town invasion starts, and a second one during the first one. These were easy to deal with and the new guy held his own, but he managed to get poisoned.

While I was out looking for the drops to cure the poison... ANOTHER town invasion! This one was rough, because the guy didn't last before I could get back to town. 10 minute timer starts again and the invasion is still ongoing...

And that's where I'm at now. I check my played time... 120 minutes. It felt like ages! I have to say this has been one of the most exciting starting experiences in a game that I've played so far. Unfortunately, I don't think I'm in a recoverable situation unless I can fend off the invasion quickly and find another NPC to recruit before the 10 minutes is up.

I was in a similar situation in Din's Curse where I took too long to take out the main bad guy, and I ended up losing the town because I couldn't keep up with all the invasions. If I can't salvage this situation, I'll just try harder during the next one.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, crazy things can definitely happen in our games.
Patreon