Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > News > News/Blog comments
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2009, 10:04 AM
Elite

Default Pumpkin Time Friday 5

1. Is it wrong to be sick of candy *before* Halloween? Maybe it's a good thing because we're down one kid (too old). Hopefully the other kid will be faster (yeah, I won't hold my breath!).

2. I am sick of cooking! What do you guys do when this happens to you? I'm eating a lot of simpler things like tuna from the can, boiled eggs or beans and cheese. I'm also getting tired of eating the same things as always but I'm not sure what else I might like that's different. We eat lots of Tex-Mex and Italian.

3. Isn't cheese amazing? You can put it on almost anything and turn bland to good.

4. I'm not getting much done on the book atm. I've been feeling really stressed out, lethargic and generally in a bad mood. It isn't about the book itself, just that I'm overwhelmed with Real Life stuff! It's interesting to me that every writer friend I know (with careers) doesn't have any kids, save one (two late-teen boys). Anyway, this will be fine because I have lots of game writing to do and there are a few short stories I've promised that are way overdue!

5. One way I deal with stress/no energy/bad mood is to obsessively play the Sims 2 (since I can't play 3... whaa!) (or spider solitaire, but we won't talk about that ). And.... I think I should blog about this obsession on Monday, because.. well... it's just wrong how much stuff I've learned so late in the game! Also, I think I really, really, really need the Seasons EP.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:36 AM
Elite

My girl went trick or treating as a devil with her latest bff who dressed as a panda. They were too cute! I enjoyed telling them, "Deploy my minions of sucrose domination!"

NaNo (National Novel Writing Month) has officially started and I love the feel of energy and excitement. (I'm kinda around a lot of writers in RL and the net, though not many of my RL friends do it, except Rachel Caine who practically does it year round!) I will not be doing NaNo this year, but I'm itchy to get in on the excitement. I should write *something*, even if I'm not going for 50,000 words by the end of the month.

Lately when I wake up and come check on the world, friends and family on the computer, I'm most anxious to come here. This is my favorite place to hang out, with you guys.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:32 AM
Elite

1. I've been thinking a lot about when I was 23, college full time, 40 hour/week job, and a baby at home. I don't remember it as a stressful time. The only part that bothered me was some days I'd see my baby for 10 minutes.

How did I do it? I'm struggling with things now, totally stressed, but back then it seemed easy. For one thing, I racked up debt, school and credit card and didn't worry about it. Those days of ignorant bliss are over. Another thing, I never thought about an ending. I never goaded myself by remembering it's just for x more months.

I can't realisticly write in bursts the way I'd like, but maybe I need to have a low minimum words per day, just to develope a habit like when I was 23 and going through the motions that ate all of my time.

2. I'm also a burst reader. When I read a book, I pretty much don't do anything else until I'm done.

3. I don't usually say the exact same things in facebook and twitter. I lean a little more family-like in facebook, and more writer/just me-like in twitter. Why? Because I actually use both, I don't just copy from one to the other.

4. Steve Perry's been talking about copywrite and digital theft (torrents) on his blog lately. While I get that there's gray areas and it just can't work like a physical product, I feel like most arguements pro-stealing are really about because it's easy to do so. People don't hem and haw about cable tv costing money, yet many would steal that too if it were easy to do. Nobody's surprised when cable-stealers get arrested or fined. That's why I think the agrument is really based on because it's easy.

5. Oh crap. Our kitchen timer isn't working and I forgot what time the eggs are supposed to be done boiling. It was either 5 minutes ago or 5 minutes from now (I forgot the x number- 8:x0). Oh well... What's the harm in over boiling them?

Happy Friday, everyone!
Old 11-13-2009, 10:47 AM
Elite

Default Been Playing Din's

1. I've been playing Din's Curse! It's really fun, even the bugs and crashing! I didn't pick my prefered hybrid though. I just couldn't think which version of warrior I wanted. Also, since you can't run back to town easily, I can't imagine not playing a priest/healer. Just can't...

2. I'm working on my novel again. Yeah... I can't help myself! This time I'm not setting any deadlines and it feels good moving forward, no matter how slowly.

3. Writing monster blurbs is hard. Yeah, it isn't a lot of text, yet each one feelings like pulling teeth! I still have some to write, but most of next week I'll be working on npc dialog. That isn't so bad. Of all of the different kinds of things I've written, I think the most rewarding has been short stories.

4. I finished reading Amber and Ashes. I loved the Dragonlance series by Margaret Weis and (with or without) Tracy Hickman, but I wonder if I mostly liked Amber and Ashes for the old character (Mina) and just being back in Krynn. I'm not sure.

5. There are not very many cds I've listened to over and over again that I still love to this day. Disentigration by The Cure, Pretty Hate Mechine by NIN, a Violent Femmes cd with the girl standing by a screen door, and Music for the Masses by Depech Mode. I do like new rock, but nothing has grabbed me enough to want to try the cd. What about you guys? What are your fave cds and what am I really missing out on?
Old 11-20-2009, 10:13 AM
Elite

1. I made pumpkin bread. Then I ate too much of it. Maybe I'm done with pumpkin food for the season.

2. I broke Din's Curse! Now I can't work while Steven tries to fix the muck up. *Why, global.trn, why?*

3. I guess it's okay because working is really getting in the way of my gaming time.

4. Anyone making anything special for Thanksgiving next week (if you're in the US, that is)? We always have potluck, and I'm bringing, you guessed it, pumpkin bread (will make more). Also raspberry lime slush which doesn't sound Thanksgivingy, but that was the last time I made it.

5. Sometimes I think marketers have duped us into believing we need products that we don't (cleaning, pre-prepped food). Not only is making beans from scratch easy, I enjoy it and will never have to worry about all of the extra salt that comes from the canned versions. I feel like I'm untangling puzzles we're brainwashed to believe in the modern world.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:27 AM
Elite

Default Do New Cars Have ESP?

1. It's been really cold these last couple of weeks, cold for a December Texas in the 20s and 30s (F). I have this medical thing where my body withholds heat (blood flow) from my limbs so that my organs are "protected." This means sometimes my hands and feet get ridiculously cold!

2. I'm thinking of making more hot soups this winter in defiance of the coldness. So far my list contains tomato soup (the best I ever had was in Jamaica on my honeymoon) and onion soup. Any other ideas or links to fave. recipes?

3. It's well that I haven't felt as wiped this holiday season as I usually do, because I needed all of that extra energy to deal with the aftermath of a car wreck I was in on Tuesday morning (at 7:33) on the way to drop off my daughter at school. I was going down a four lane street in the right lane (speed limit 45mph) when a car turning left from a side street with a stop sign (same side as me) pulled out directly in front of me and hovered there as I laid on the horn and brakes. The teenage boy never looked once my way until I hit him, smashing up both of his driver side doors. I was terrified right before the impact that he might get hurt with so little between him and the nose of my heavy car! I'm staring at him, probably bug-eyed in shock while my daughter was crying hysterically... And then he continued with his left turn and drove off!

I had no chance to catch the license plate numbers. After sitting there a moment with cars driving around me (and no one getting out to see if we were okay), I also drove off. I parked at my daughters school and checked out the damage on the car. Not much, luckily. I thought for sure both headlights would be smashed, but they were fine. Broken grill, bumper slightly askew, hood slightly bent, one runner light broken in one place. I made sure my daughter was calmed down and fine, then walked her into the building. When I got home, I was pissed. How could he drive off like that! I knew the cops would probably never find him, but I was going to report it anyway. I called it in to my city's PD and then called the insurance company while waiting for an officer to come take my statement.

When the office arrived, he told me that the westbound side of the road belonged to the neighboring city and I'd have to call them. Okay. Neighboring PD says they already had a hit-and-run call for the same accident earlier (this is probably about an hour after the accident). I said, "But he drove off!" Anyway, neighboring PD couldn't send an officer over since I wasn't in their city, so I had to go to their police station to report it.

It was my first time to a police station and I was amused at the sign-in card that asked, "Who are you bailing out?" Neighboring PD officer said the teenager had thought he needed to get out of traffic and had intended to u-turn at some point and come back, but then I was gone. I got his insurance information and didn't proceed with the police report (because hey, it was an accident and he really didn't mean to leave the scene, just the ignorance of youth).

I talked to his mom on the phone and she said she was so, so sorry. It was nice actually. Since it was his fault and his insurance was going to cover it, we were able to get our car fixed. I still had to talk to my insurance company 3 more times. I took the car to a repair shop on Wednesday morning and had trouble getting a rental (because it dropped below freezing the night before, which doesn't happen often in Texas, and then some fools ran their sprinklers overnight! Ice city, baby!). After I got the rental, the employee really laid on pressure to get their extra insurance. After many nos I broke and consented to the lesser price for only a day or two. Then when I got home, Steven was pissed so I turned right back around and had them take it off. The guy who took it off said, "Well, as you can see by how busy we are today, there is a need for it." That was it for me. He basically called me an idiot to my face, and if I'm ever paying for a rental, I won't get one from that location.

Oh yeah. The family of the teenager goes to my in-laws' church. Small world, huh.

3. Our rental is a Journey SUV with less umph than our poor, sweet Maxima. It has a button labeled "ESP off" which if the Journey has ESP, I'd never turn it off!

4. Remember how I sort of installed my Christmas present early (I'll actually wrap it later, and if the kids don't figure it out, all is well)? Well, I've been playing Sims 2 Open for Business and would appreciate any advice. Seems like I can't get out of the red unless I don't have any employees show up. :-(

5. Of course, I still make time for play testing Din's Curse. It isn't balanced well enough to be addictive for me yet, but it is still fun and I love when crazy-weird things happen. Also the hybrid class system is interesting and really makes the game play very different. I've played about 4 variations so far.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:43 PM
Elite

Default Christmas, Almost

1. We got our car back today. Yay! I spent the first few minutes behind the wheel feeling awkward like I'd been cheating on our car for the last week and a half.

2. I've been crocheting like mad to be ready for Christmas presents. I like to work while something plays on the tv (through the internet) to have something to listen to.

3. We've been testing Din's Curse multiplayer and it's really fun to play with the whole family. Both of our kids love it (ages 13 and 8). Our big challenge last time was a named scavenger that the 13 year old let get extremely large before Steven or I knew what was going on. It didn't help matters much that I couldn't afford any food! One thing I love about multiplayer is you still have access to your shared stash (hence, I supplied extra bags to the kids).

4. We are going to my dad's on the 22nd for an early Christmas. Did I mention I'm not ready? (See #2)

5. A few years ago, I changed our Christmas routine. Instead of having the kids open all of their presents on Christmas day and before they can play with them, we have to leave for my mom's, NOW I let them open a present each day for the twelve days leading up to Christmas (last one on Christmas). I think my 8 year old daughter got her favorite so far today - a pokemon deck. Yep, it's something she actually asked for.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:14 PM
Amateur

Very nice posts you have their, i enjoyed reading.
Old 01-03-2010, 01:28 PM
Elite

Thanks!