Controller support (and maybe local co-op?)
Even though we got some controller support for Drox, it seems that in DL, the controller code isn't operational. I tried binding some buttons and nothing was detected.
Additionally, I think there is relatively low-hanging fruit in terms of making DL the first Soldak game with 'proper' controller support, including a default X-box controller profile. What does this entail?
* Left stick for movement
* Right trigger for main attack
* Left trigger for secondary skill
* A good targeting scheme for skills that can take targets:
* A default targeting outline around the next target of a target-based skill
* The option to move the right stick to have a fast-moving cursor that can snap to possible targets.
* Turn all menus into being modal menus with hotspots, where A is select and B is cancel.
I think this should be pretty easy given the headway Drox has made. A secondary goal (maybe for an expansion) would be to add split-screen local coop, which I think would open this game up to a new and growing audience. In general, this requires
* Creating a narrower version of the UI
* Making UI for player selection for each character, while world selection/creation is only done by the first character.
* Adding the ability to render on 2 view ports.
* Making all UIs be local to a view port.
* In general, you can still make use of the server code that's used for remote co-op.
It would be really crazy to add 4-player local co-op. Only a few games bother doing this, but again, it would elevate DL to higher-level status and competition in a circle of games with far fewer entries.