Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Other > Other RPGs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2010, 03:00 PM
Champion

What's funny is I bought Torchlight from steam when it was on sale for $5 and I briefly tried it out, but at the same time as I was just getting into it, I ran into Din's Curse and have been too busy with the latter

In the few minutes of playing Torchlight, it really felt like Travis Baldree's past solo effort, I think it was called Fate. I noticed tons of similarities right away. So, if it plays like a beefed-up Fate, then I'm sure to enjoy it. Some of the things I really liked in Fate was the fishing minigame, the permanent pet that you can send to town to sell your stuff, and the fact that you can add magical properties to items but at a risk AND a cost. The more properties you assign, the more you risk of getting a negative effect, or something like that. Anyways, it was a good balance of risk VS reward and it was fun trying to upgrade gear without screwing it up

DC could certainly borrow some of those ideas, specially a magic effect gambler of sorts as I was just describing. I think that sort of mechanic adds a lot to the game aside from the usual dungeon crawling (so does the fishing mini-game of fate) and I wouldn't think it overly difficult to throw in the mix either.

Last edited by Jorlen : 04-27-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:28 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorlen View Post
What's funny is I bought Torchlight from steam when it was on sale for $5 and I briefly tried it out, but at the same time as I was just getting into it, I ran into Din's Curse and have been too busy with the latter

In the few minutes of playing Torchlight, it really felt like Travis Baldree's past solo effort, I think it was called Fate. I noticed tons of similarities right away. So, if it plays like a beefed-up Fate, then I'm sure to enjoy it. Some of the things I really liked in Fate was the fishing minigame, the permanent pet that you can send to town to sell your stuff, and the fact that you can add magical properties to items but at a risk AND a cost. The more properties you assign, the more you risk of getting a negative effect, or something like that. Anyways, it was a good balance of risk VS reward and it was fun trying to upgrade gear without screwing it up

DC could certainly borrow some of those ideas, specially a magic effect gambler of sorts as I was just describing. I think that sort of mechanic adds a lot to the game aside from the usual dungeon crawling (so does the fishing mini-game of fate) and I wouldn't think it overly difficult to throw in the mix either.
Torchlight is basically Fate with character classes and skill trees done Diablo II-style, and a plot that isn't randomly generated. In Fate, everybody had access to the same skills, and there wasn't really anything you could do with your weapon beyond basic attacking. There were no non-passive fighting skills. Only spells. And fishing was a bit different in regards to the type of stuff you could fish for.