Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Other > Other RPGs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2010, 09:40 PM
Champion

Default Grim Dawn

http://www.grimdawn.com/index.php

Well, here's a somewhat unusual way to attack it. Some former IronLore folks, of Titan Quest fame/tragedy/infamy, created a new outfit by the name of Crate Entertainment and are making a go of it as Publisherless Indie so as to inhouse all funding within themselves/supporters/customers and also thereby retain their IP's and such. They've art/more details on the way, but are ultimately going with a pre-order model comparable to Hazardous Software's Achron, Mount & Blade, and other such ventures where there are multiple levels with various perks and apparently just straight out donation potential for those that feel like it.

It shall be interesting to see where this hopefully goes, as their feature set of bulletpoints isn't exactly offensive to the eyes.
Old 01-21-2010, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

I saw that yesterday. It is kind of interesting that you can already pre-order the game even though they aren't expecting to ship anything until next year.
Patreon
Old 01-21-2010, 07:02 PM
Champion

Yep, that's kinda what Achron is doing---pre-order for alpha and beta access then also wind up with the game proper upon their current release traget of Jan 11, 2011.

For this one, I'll wait a bit before seeing about one kinda order or another---they seem to be proper serious about getting things underway and done though at a glance.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:55 PM
Champion

I think it's a good move giving the hardcore fans a chance to preorder just as long as the developers can deliver in the end. I think you will see the trend continue since it could potentially be a good money boost for the team to add little things here and there to make the final product all that much more exciting and I think fans of certain games like to feel like their a part of something in the early stages of development. Their is risk involved if the devs can't deliver but that is with anything I guess.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:36 AM
Expert

I pre-ordered this game the first day it was available...Titan Quest is probably my favorite ARPG out there so it's a no-brainer for me to want to see Grim Dawn come to fruition.

The developers are great too, very active on the forums and taking suggestions from the community.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:20 AM
Champion

As much as I love Titan Quest and the old Iron Lore crowd, without a gameplay video I just can't seem to commit to pre-purchasing the game with no idea when it comes out, or IF it will come out. I went through the forums and the site and there just isn't enough for me, not yet. I keep checking it on a weekly basis, and have been for quite some time.

I suppose a lot of other people have more faith than me in this area and don't mind showing their support. Regardless, I do wish Crate the best; I was disapppointed to see what happened to them with THQ and Titan Quest.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:53 AM
Elite

Looks exactly like TQ.

I hope they are going to try and differentiate it somehow.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:03 AM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim dawn features
Combine any of five distinct skill classes each with multiple skill trees in which to specialize. Advance your class mastery up to 75 levels to unlock dozens of powerful skills and synergistic modifiers. New classes will be periodically released through downloadable content.

Gameplay systems design for 200 levels of character progression, equipment, and enemies to fight makes for ridiculous amounts of replay value.

Connect with old friends or make new allies in glorious multiplayer. Specially balanced multiplayer encounters will put your teamwork to the ultimate challenge.

Collect blueprints that allow you to combine salvaged components into unique crafted items and then, later, use those basic crafted items with higher-tiered recipes to complete items of unprecedented badassness.

Camera rotation enhances the three-dimensionality of the world and gameplay while levels are still designed so that players are not forced to rotate the camera.

Refined loot system drops less junk items and ensures more consistent rewards from hero and boss monsters.

Satisfying enemy damage and death effects with an option to enable blood and gore.

The ability to spend money to reclaim skill and attribute points alleviates the fear and frustration of having to make early, uninformed decisions that could permanently nerf a character.
The setting is also completely different set in the Victorian Age with new areas. There's tons of information on the forums too from the developers if you are interested. Anyways, it's certainly not exactly like TQ.

More features are in the works and will be announced as Grim Dawn nears release.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:39 PM
Elite

The features list has been updated.

http://grimdawn.com/about_featurelist.php

Quote:
# Combine any of five distinct skill classes each with multiple skill trees in which to specialize. Advance your class mastery up to 75 levels to unlock dozens of powerful skills and synergistic modifiers. New classes will be periodically released through downloadable content.

# Destructible environments give evidence of your massive battles while collapsing stonework and flying shards of furniture can be used tactically to cause further injury to your foes.

# Dynamic Weather brings the world to life with region-specific climates and a variety of weather effects. A sunny day can cloud over with mild rainshowers that builds into a booming thunderstorm. Variable wind gusts blow grass and affect objects like windmills and window shutters.

# Gameplay systems designed to expand for 200 levels of character progression, equipment, and enemies to fight makes for ridiculous amounts of replay value.

# Connect with old friends or make new allies in glorious multiplayer. Specially balanced multiplayer encounters will put your teamwork to the ultimate challenge.

# Collect blueprints that allow you to combine salvaged components into unique crafted items and then, later, use those basic crafted items with higher-tiered recipes to complete items of unprecedented badassness.

# Camera rotation enhances the three-dimensionality of the world and gameplay while levels are still designed so that players are not forced to rotate the camera.

# Refined loot system drops less junk items and ensures more consistent rewards from hero and boss monsters.

# Satisfying enemy damage and death effects with an option to enable blood and gore.

# New quest and conversation system will allow players to choose quest paths and rewards, interact with NPCs in more interesting ways, and an intuitive quest creation wizard will make life a lot easier for modders.

# An NPC faction system lets the player improve their relations with different NPC groups to earn rewards as their favor increases such as merchant discounts, new items, and additional quest lines. However, aiding one faction could turn a rival faction into your enemy. Choose which side you will support!

# The ability to spend money to reclaim skill and attribute points alleviates the fear and frustration of having to make early, uninformed decisions that could permanently nerf a character.
Wow. With destructible scenery, this looks like this is going to give Din's Curse a serious run for its money.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:46 PM
Champion

Pretty robust sounding...I hope nothing knocks me out of whack for taking part in the Alpha and Beta testing for it.