Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Other > Other RPGs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2010, 12:18 PM
Champion

Default Other games like DC?

Din's Curse does all the right things for me.

It has excellent replayability, a fun class system that allows for tons of experimentation / flexibilty, a good random item / random level system, etc.

So, apart from other games mentioned here, are there any other games you guys have played that combine diablo / roguelike elements so well?
Old 05-12-2010, 03:00 PM
Expert

Not really...I mean...you got your more popular ARPG 's which I am sure you are well aware of most of them...but they lean more towards the Diablo and not so much to the roguelike. Din's Curse is pretty unique really with how well it blended the two genres.

I can't really think of anything so I'll just throw a game out there with similar concept (sorta lol) that you might have missed...

Arx Fatalis - Kinda like a roguelike in that you delve deeper and deeper into a dungeon (whole game world is underground), but gameplay is from 3rd person. Awesome magic system, absolutely wonderful sounds that makes the game drip atmosphere, very interactive game world, and lots of interesting things to do/see. Arx pays homage to games like Ultima and I think they did well with this.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:51 PM
Champion

http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Chronic...W/SW_page.html There is much potential and good times to be had with this one right here, but slim to nobody believes me! It definitely has LOTS of style and panache.

Soonish....soon that I can get things squared away otherwise I will try to resurrect it via the ridiculous/ahead of its time RAGE Engine the game gives you to run utterly wild with....

:breaks down into a madman's laughter:
Old 05-12-2010, 03:53 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuggs40 View Post
Not really...I mean...you got your more popular ARPG 's which I am sure you are well aware of most of them...but they lean more towards the Diablo and not so much to the roguelike. Din's Curse is pretty unique really with how well it blended the two genres.

I can't really think of anything so I'll just throw a game out there with similar concept (sorta lol) that you might have missed...

Arx Fatalis - Kinda like a roguelike in that you delve deeper and deeper into a dungeon (whole game world is underground), but gameplay is from 3rd person. Awesome magic system, absolutely wonderful sounds that makes the game drip atmosphere, very interactive game world, and lots of interesting things to do/see. Arx pays homage to games like Ultima and I think they did well with this.
Arx and Ultima Underworld rank as some of my favorite games actually

And you're right, I don't think any other game has blended these sub-genres in specific. Din's curse appears to be the first.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:55 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by getter77 View Post
http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Chronic...W/SW_page.html There is much potential and good times to be had with this one right here, but slim to nobody believes me! It definitely has LOTS of style and panache.

Soonish....soon that I can get things squared away otherwise I will try to resurrect it via the ridiculous/ahead of its time RAGE Engine the game gives you to run utterly wild with....

:breaks down into a madman's laughter:
I forgot about this game lol...and I did play it before. It is very similar to Dins/Roguelike...personally I couldn't get into it though

@Jorlen

We have similar tastes...Arx is one of my favorites as well. I thinks it's a very under appreciated game that was overshadowed by the behemoth that is Morrowind (a great game in it's own right).

I was reading on the Arkane forums and supposedly an Arx 2 is the works...or at least the community rep made it sound that way. Personally I hope so!

Last edited by dnuggs40 : 05-12-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:40 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuggs40 View Post
I forgot about this game lol...and I did play it before. It is very similar to Dins/Roguelike...personally I couldn't get into it though

@Jorlen

We have similar tastes...Arx is one of my favorites as well. I thinks it's a very under appreciated game that was overshadowed by the behemoth that is Morrowind (a great game in it's own right).

I was reading on the Arkane forums and supposedly an Arx 2 is the works...or at least the community rep made it sound that way. Personally I hope so!
Eh, neat I had never heard about this game. I guess the smaller indie games sometimes don't make it in the databases or many review sites I check. Scallywag sounds like a roguelike for sure, I'll download the demo and try it out, thanks Getter77!

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath re: Arx 2, but it would be a nice surprise indeed!
Old 05-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorlen View Post
So, apart from other games mentioned here, are there any other games you guys have played that combine diablo / roguelike elements so well?
Have you tried Torchlight yet?

It's only $10 on Steam at the moment. I found it at PAX 2009 and eagerly awaited it's release. It's a very fun ARPG.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:32 AM
Elite

I second Arx Fatalis too.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:30 AM
Champion

The only other games I've played that were anything like Din's Curse (Random dungeons and quests with Diablo-like gameplay) were Darkstone, Fate, and Torchlight. They're all prettier than Din's Curse, but none of them are as much fun.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:34 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRani View Post
The only other games I've played that were anything like Din's Curse (Random dungeons and quests with Diablo-like gameplay) were Darkstone, Fate, and Torchlight. They're all prettier than Din's Curse, but none of them are as much fun.
I haven't played Darkstone. I wonder if it would run on windows 7. I keep hearing people mention that one over the years, but I never ended up trying it out. So it has random levels too?

Fate I played to death, and Torchlight I can't seem to get into for some reason. I figure it's just not the right time for it. Or maybe I played too much fate and Torchlight is too similar.

Last edited by Jorlen : 05-13-2010 at 10:52 AM.