Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Drox Operative > Drox Operative game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2011, 08:58 AM
Legend

I don't know about SR2, but I really like that death is not the end in both DC and DoP. It removes the need to reload continuously. I was wondering if you had any ideas how to do a sci-fi resurrection mechanic. The easy thing would be to have an escape pod that saves the crew, but then you lose the ship.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:00 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnakotus View Post
People who don't know what they're talking about probably shouldn't make declarations like 'console controllers are no good for Diablo games'.
The personal jab was entirely inappropriate. Why did you even put quotes on something I didn't say? I never said controllers are no good for Diablo games. I said "I can see how it might constrain the design". And I tried Sacred 2 with my controller and I didn't like it.

Protip - Don't be a douche.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
I don't know about SR2, but I really like that death is not the end in both DC and DoP. It removes the need to reload continuously. I was wondering if you had any ideas how to do a sci-fi resurrection mechanic. The easy thing would be to have an escape pod that saves the crew, but then you lose the ship.
I think we are going to do save/exit stuff like DC and death won't be permanent. I'm not sure what the penalty or justification will be though.

I'm sure we will have at least one type of hardcore mode though.

For everyone else, please be polite to each other. We all have different tastes in games which is ultimately a good thing. There isn't any need to argue (discussion is good though) and certainly no good reason to get personal.
Patreon
Old 05-11-2011, 09:39 AM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I think we are going to do save/exit stuff like DC and death won't be permanent. I'm not sure what the penalty or justification will be though.

I'm sure we will have at least one type of hardcore mode though.

For everyone else, please be polite to each other. We all have different tastes in games which is ultimately a good thing. There isn't any need to argue (discussion is good though) and certainly no good reason to get personal.
OK so here's my idea for a continuation mechanism: since we're dealing with heavy sci-fi, when you die, you could be pulled through time by a mysterious entity, who will then deposit you and your ship nearby, albeit with the loss of experience/some other resource. The first time, you could be transported to meet this 'Time Master' entity.

As a bonus idea, you wouldn't know why this entity is rescuing you, except that there's something important you're going to do for him in the future. Depending on how the game ends, it could be that the Time Master was evil and wanted a race exterminated, or that he wanted peace in the galaxy, or that he wanted a certain tech created that could only have been created due to your efforts etc.

A less 'sentient' and involved resurrection mechanism would involve your ship having weird time anomalies that just happen to restore you to full health if you die, but change something about the reality you're in aka your powerups or resources.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:07 AM
Expert

Re resurrection: You could also do something similar to m&b where you get taken prisoner by whomever defeated you and then have to escape. You lose a lot of your stuff and your companions and have to rebuild. In m&b the escape is automatic; in this game, it could be actual gameplay.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:26 PM
Elite

Agree with ebarstad, that's a good idea. You will escape in an escape pod, small enough with special cooling systems to escape detection as anything other than a random floating celestial object, so no one will bug you as you make your way back to greater fortune.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:39 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by udm View Post
Agree with ebarstad, that's a good idea. You will escape in an escape pod, small enough with special cooling systems to escape detection as anything other than a random floating celestial object, so no one will bug you as you make your way back to greater fortune.
Problem is, in a game where your ship is your main possession (and in fact you play as a ship), losing your ship is a huge loss. That's why you need some kind of trick that preserves your ship as well.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, a hardcore type of mode might have an escape pod type of thing, but for the main mode I probably need to preserve your ship somehow.
Patreon
Old 05-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Elite

What about the idea that your ship will never be destroyed, only just disabled. To add that touch of believability, enemies will bring your ship down to 1HP, then fire a tractor beam or something of that sort to "capture" you, then hauling you around until you manage to escape somehow.

For combat, are you planning something more static or with dynamic movements e.g. dogfighting?

Last edited by udm : 05-11-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:57 AM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by udm View Post
What about the idea that your ship will never be destroyed, only just disabled. To add that touch of believability, enemies will bring your ship down to 1HP, then fire a tractor beam or something of that sort to "capture" you, then hauling you around until you manage to escape somehow.

For combat, are you planning something more static or with dynamic movements e.g. dogfighting?
I think the problem there is that psychology really matters in these things. Extra punctuation has a pretty good article about it here. Players need to feel that they got killed (or that their ship was destroyed). If the ship only gets disabled, that feels wimpy -- like an edutainment title for kids.

So my ideas are either to use time travel, or perhaps to do something like what System Shock did: you go to a nearby central space station and deposit your 'nano-image' or whatever. Then, every time you die, you resurrect there. Essentially you create a game mechanic like lifestones, except you get to move them around to the place nearest your destination.

Another advantage of this mechanic is that you could have epic battles with mercenary foes that go on over time. Only really cool mercenaries with black market connections would have access to these space-age lifestones, so you couldn't just destroy your worst foes in one quick battle: you'd have many encounters with them until you finally are able to find out where they placed their lifestone and destroy that first. The converse is also true: if you see that your space station of choice is about to be destroyed, you'd better rush to protect it or you're out of lives. Again, similar to DoP but more dynamic. For example, maybe a faction that hates you might take over your space station. You then have to do their bidding or they won't let you resurrect. There are many cool repercussions and possibilities here.