Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2009, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

I'm thinking about adding in a cursed mode where the player is basically cursed and can not equip any item unless it is cursed. It would be kind of like hardcore mode, just an interesting challenge. What do you guys think?
Patreon
Old 09-04-2009, 10:31 AM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
I'm thinking about adding in a cursed mode where the player is basically cursed and can not equip any item unless it is cursed. It would be kind of like hardcore mode, just an interesting challenge. What do you guys think?
That's one of the craziest things I've ever heard. I like it! Will cursed items be common enough to support that, though? Or will the poor guy be mostly naked until he's lucky enough to find some armor that babbles incessantly or a helmet that's on fire and drains his hit points?

Can you find cursed set items? Will completing the set make the curse worse?
Old 09-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Champion

I'd have to see the cursed mode in action to make much of a comment(otherwise it's speculation on what it will be like and thus most likely a bad comment), but it does sound very interesting shadow.

I am curious though, what happens if curses conflict? So for example one curse causes you to always attack an enemy, but another cursed item causes you to automatically run away from fights unless cornered, would you attack continuously or run away?
Or maybe one cursed item that doubles received damage could interact with one that puts a continual drain on HP, would this drain be doubled?
One final example, one cursed item cuts item drop rates, another lowers the odds of getting good magical items by a percentage, how do these percentage drops interact?

@ SharpCarlos I don't think sets can be cursed, cursed items sound like they are just normal items with curses, set items are hard coded(or at least were in DoP), so how exactly this would work I have no idea. Would be very interesting to see though.

Last edited by scragar : 09-04-2009 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:39 AM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by scragar View Post
One final example, one cursed item cuts item drop rates, another lowers the odds of getting good magical items by a percentage, how do these percentage drops interact?
Hm, that gives me an idea. What if one of the possible item curses is to increase the % chance that items you find will be cursed? Pretty frustrating for a normal character, but a godsend for a cursed character. Just the way that some Diablo players try to maximize their "magic find" chance, a cursed player in this game could try and maximize his "curse find" chance.
Old 09-04-2009, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpCarlos View Post
Will cursed items be common enough to support that, though? Or will the poor guy be mostly naked until he's lucky enough to find some armor that babbles incessantly or a helmet that's on fire and drains his hit points?

Can you find cursed set items? Will completing the set make the curse worse?
I'm not sure, either way it would be pretty tough.

Any item that has random magic modifiers can be cursed. Set items have all preset modifiers. so they can't be randomly cursed. Of course, I could add cursed modifiers to some set items if I wanted (which I might). A cursed set would be interesting too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scragar View Post
I am curious though, what happens if curses conflict? So for example one curse unequips the weapon when attacked by a new enemy, but another cursed item causes you to automatticly run away from fights unless cornered, would you attack continuously or run away?
Or maybe one cursed item that doubles recieved damage could interact with one that puts a continual drain on HP, would this drain be doubled?
I'm not sure yet. The curses aren't fancy enough to have any conflicts yet. With the 2nd two examples, it would work fine, you would just be getting scewed twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpCarlos View Post
What if one of the possible item curses is to increase the % chance that items you find will be cursed? Pretty frustrating for a normal character, but a godsend for a cursed character. Just the way that some Diablo players try to maximize their "magic find" chance, a cursed player in this game could try and maximize his "curse find" chance.
That would be cool if I do the cursed mode.
Patreon
Old 09-04-2009, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator

BTW, this thread is one of the reasons why I decided to be much more open during the development of our games. Getting early feedback on stuff helps a lot!

A small update about changes due to this thread: Now all ego items get a bonus on damage or armor (25% currently). So the basic ego item is better than the normal equivalent. It's just a matter of can you handle the quirks (if it has any)?

I've also started adding some more interesting ego types like the Axe of the Big Mouth. Weapons like this have a chance to talk every time they hit something and will alert nearby monsters.

I've also written down a lot of other ego and curse ideas, but they will probably wait till my next pass on items. I need to get to the skill system.
Patreon
Old 09-05-2009, 10:52 AM
Elite

Another idea for items:

Ego weapons might be really great if they leveled up with you (or some sort of item). In addition ego weapons could have a quest associated with them--if you find me 100 shrubs, you will unlock my secret attribute -- probably most fun (or groan inducing), if these are randomly picked and only revealed to the player once they are fulfilled. (you'd know what it took to unlock it, just wouldn't know what you were unlocking until the quest was fulfilled).

Princess and the Toad Cursed items: Some cursed items will remain cursed until you break their curse: (if you kill 1000 orcs--with this weapon, the curse will be lifted and this item will not be -10 strength anymore)
Old 09-25-2009, 07:12 PM
Champion

Quote:
I keep thinking about doing some kind of crafting system, but it's a pretty big task and keeps getting put off to the next game.
Been on the road for a while--just catching up. Just was wondering if crafting is in or out for Din's curse?

Also--looking for a Christmas release?

GB
Old 09-26-2009, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy View Post
Been on the road for a while--just catching up. Just was wondering if crafting is in or out for Din's curse?

Also--looking for a Christmas release?
I'm thinking the crafting is going to be out. I don't think I'm going to have time enough in this game to do it right.

I'm hoping we release this year. I'm not trying for a Christmas release exactly though.
Patreon
Old 09-26-2009, 03:02 PM
Champion

Quote:
I'm thinking the crafting is going to be out. I don't think I'm going to have time enough in this game to do it right.

I'm hoping we release this year. I'm not trying for a Christmas release exactly though.
Expansion pack or mod it in?

GB