Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2010, 01:01 AM
Elite

Just wondering if anyone is going with a one hander and shield combo, or if everyone's going with a 2H weapon? Perhaps even a staff?

I can't find any 1 handers good enough to justify using a shield so far. Especially with the other tree being magician, I'm using mostly paladin killing power in battle. Arcane swarm is good fun, but it's a bit random - often targets support beams, exploding barrels and lifestones etc

Level 12 and still kicking, though I have had 2 near death experiences with those mimic creatures. They hit hard and crit often!
Old 06-02-2010, 02:38 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruztee View Post
Just wondering if anyone is going with a one hander and shield combo, or if everyone's going with a 2H weapon? Perhaps even a staff?

I can't find any 1 handers good enough to justify using a shield so far. Especially with the other tree being magician, I'm using mostly paladin killing power in battle. Arcane swarm is good fun, but it's a bit random - often targets support beams, exploding barrels and lifestones etc
My best bashin' tool is a long staff. I did the one-hand and shield for a bit, but the clubs just don't do enough damage. Maybe they could do a one-hand hammer? Does anybody know if maces show up farther along?

Level 10. Finished town 3. Still going. (knock on wood.)
Old 06-02-2010, 02:47 AM
Expert

Quote:

Level 12 and still kicking, though I have had 2 near death experiences with those mimic creatures. They hit hard and crit often!
I'm using the one-hand and shield approach - if I'm hitting things with my club/mace it's usually because I'm drinking and waiting for my mana to recharge so I can blow things apart with arcane swarm. My damage output isn't great but on the other hand while I'm blocking I get bonus mana and who can complain about that? And I have the bonus +defense paladin shield skill.

Oh and I'm level 11 currently.

As far as the randomness of my arcane torrent spamming, well I kind of like it. It takes care of opening pesky surrounding doors, traps, and whatnot along with the monsters. And as surrounding alternate targets vanish I start getting more multiple strikes on what I'm fighting. It's got a crazy range so I don't have to chase things down and with a full mana charge I can blow off a *ton* of them before hitting the drink button. I just make VERY careful to keep an eye out for supports and take them out when I see them from from extra long range using my arcane bolt single target zap before I get close enough to be worrying about cave-ins. It's more fun to trigger rock falls on monsters anyhow

Wait, the game has mimics? That sounds worrying!

Last edited by archivis : 06-02-2010 at 02:57 AM. Reason: decided to comment on random magic blasts & OMG mimics
Old 06-02-2010, 04:32 AM
Amateur

Level 10 so far, doing pretty well. Had to abandon my third town since the bottom level was a combo of Dimensional Gates + Amorphs (yuck).

I'm having a lot of success with Smite to kill things, Blinding Flash for crowd control and Evade for more defense. It's slow though.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:14 AM
Elite

Level 10, I'm mostly using a 2 handed staff, but I really want to use a one handed mace and shield. I'm keeping a set in my second weapon slot, but until the dsp is comparable, I probably won't use it.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:38 AM
Amateur

I got my paladin at lvl 7 and I got problem too with the armor coz I need to look for better equips. Leveling paladin is a real challenge but still okay I know at the end game my paladin will surely hit.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:16 PM
Expert

Quote:

Yeah, I did in fact go with 1H / shield combo, but it's really only because I found his gem here:

Bonecrusher
Spiked Club
Rarity: Legendary Basic Type: Mace
Durability 18 / 18
8 to 30 Damage Speed 1.20
15.8 damage per second
+6 Max Damage
+1 Mana Regen
+5 Lightning Resistance
+7 Light Intensity
+40% Crushing Blow
+40% Magic Crushing Blow
+67% damage
Requires 32 Strength
Requires weapon skill: Mace
Sell value: 3SP 52CP
Retail value: 21SP 45CP

It's a good one, but I do hope there is better down the road for 1H maces, so i can continue with them. I am level 14 now, and found this when I was about level 9 or so. Good maces do seem hard to come by...so far anyway.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:55 PM
Amateur

That is a crazy good one hander.

I see that it required 32 strength. How are you distributing your level up points? I put 2-3 in Vit every level since Ashby is hardcore (gotta stay alive)! I barely have the 20 strength needed to use my current mace.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:45 PM
Champion

Yes that's a very good weapon and even more at level 9. At level 10 my 2H weapon isn't as good. The problem of this character isn't the specialization mix which is probably a good mix, the problem isn't the money too but it's the items. The unlucky and poor rules lower a lot the items quality, except perhhaps few lucky drops.

I only need check few key charasteristics like chance to hit, defense, dps. The difference is huge in comparison with any other character I have. And that's a huge difference like 100 instead of 200. This involves side effect on how you can manage the character. For example I didn't succeed improve significantly my chance to hit through items, so I end in putting more points than I would in dex, lowering some other attributes.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:10 PM
Legend

How is this build guys? Does it work? It looked too complex for me, that's why I didn't try.