Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2010, 05:46 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon View Post
-- Greater size and shape variety of "special rooms" that could be generated in the dungeons below. Right now every special room is a square, having a bit more shapes and sizes would be a nice addition.
I think there should also be a new prison-type room generated for holding captured townspeople, as it makes more sense than monsters just bringing them down into the dungeon and killing the townsperson when they spot you. The room would be locked with a durable door, maybe trapped as well. It could be cool to also generate a champion to guard the door, or even give it a prison key that you have to get off of him.

Of course, the problem here is that the quests are generated after the dungeons, so I guess the prison room would have to generate on the edge of the map when the quest is created. In any case, I think the prison room would make more sense than the current method.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:24 PM
Champion

The prison room concept sounds really cool and the special key idea is great and can be used many ways. A very roguelike way to incorporate a prison room would be to have a 'special stairs down' that gets generated somewhere on the dungeon floor level that the rescue quest is on to take your character to a mini-dungeon with maybe a couple of hallways / small rooms and then the prison room. I remember a couple of rogues like DoomRL and Nethack having those alternate stairways which I thought were kinda cool.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:08 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon View Post
-- Each class with their own unique look for both male and female which would equal 14 appearances in total (counting the new class). A hybrid character's look could depend on their first chosen specialty.

-- Greater size and shape variety of "special rooms" that could be generated in the dungeons below. Right now every special room is a square, having a bit more shapes and sizes would be a nice addition.

-- Options, Options, Options. I think opening up pandora's box and adding all the world generation modifiers possible would be a great improvement in allowing people to set up unique worlds. In order to balance out the game you might be able to come up with a exp -/+ system with each modifier that gets changed from default.

unique class graphics would be cool, and extra polishing to game presentation wouldn't hurt, but to be honest it's not a bid deal to me, i don't play this game for graphics.

I would like to see more dungeon layout variations, for example the town me and my aunt been playing for hours today is annoying as heck, all levels are these very narrow stone corridors, it's a pain because i am a summoner and difficult to navigate all my minions in those narrow passageways, i don't mind some levels like that, but I'd like to think that if i go down a few levels it would be completely different, however levels 1-9 are all the exact same style, and we been in this town for a long time, not to mention we got a trap modifier which makes it pretty much completely impossible to avoid all traps with narrow corridors like that.. it's been very frustrating but we are managing.

More events, parameters, etc. would be cool, but if there is an option to control what you want in your world, i would prefer it to be added in a cheat mode type of thing, i prefer my games to be completely random, i would love more stuff, more types of quests, events, etc. that could appear in my world therefore making each one even more unique. Those who want to create a world exactly the way they want i believe should have to enter some kind of cheat code and not be completely visible when creating a new world, therefore forcing people to at least try the randomness which makes this game great, i wouldn't want to be tempted to start creating my own worlds therefore killing the random stuff, that would kill enjoyment for me and the challenge.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:40 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zengrath View Post

More events, parameters, etc. would be cool, but if there is an option to control what you want in your world, i would prefer it to be added in a cheat mode type of thing, i prefer my games to be completely random, i would love more stuff, more types of quests, events, etc. that could appear in my world therefore making each one even more unique. Those who want to create a world exactly the way they want i believe should have to enter some kind of cheat code and not be completely visible when creating a new world, therefore forcing people to at least try the randomness which makes this game great, i wouldn't want to be tempted to start creating my own worlds therefore killing the random stuff, that would kill enjoyment for me and the challenge.
Allowing a wide array of options could possibly make some high-level options available although I am also in support of sifting through the various options and in general implementing with care. I think some possible tweaks might certainly be game though and allowing people a high degree of control over their worlds is something unique to this genre and generally well received if implemented well. If there is a + / - experience system in place it would provide in my opinion the best policing of the world creation screen along with general limits on select parameters in order to keep a sort of natural balance. If I was to create a world and in the end actually get experience from my world, I will need to choose my options wisely. A example off the top of my head (not knowing exactly what could be tweaked or true values):

I decrease the magic-drop rate from 50 (default) to 30 (5% exp gain/current exp +5)

I decrease the treasure chest spawn rate from 50 (dft) to 10 which greatly decreases treasure chest spawns outside of special rooms (+10% exp gain/current exp 15)

I increase magic-drop chest rate from 70 (dft) to 100 which always guarantees me at least one magical item in the treasure chest (-10% exp loss/current exp 5)

I decrease general monster spawn rate from 50 (dft) to 20 (-15% exp loss/current exp -10)

I increase environmental damage from 50 (dft) to 80 (+10% exp gain/current exp 0)

In the end this world ends up breaking even in the experience pool. A big problem I can foresee is players pumping up such options like general magic drop (if such a tweak exists) and gaining very little experience for their world although getting some nice loot in the process. A way around that to make sure players don't overdue it on such options is have various maximum limits on certain parameters. For example I may not be able to increase the 'general magic drop rate chance' above it's default setting yet I can decrease the chance to my liking or with the 'magic-drop from chest rate chance' I might be allowed to increase that to 100 although I will suffer some exp slowdown or increasing the 'magic-drop from chest rate' automatically decreases the maximum value for 'treasure chest spawning', sort of like a see-saw effect.

Last edited by Archon : 08-08-2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Elite

Well, with demons being the theme in the new expansion I thought of a possible new monster. It would be a sort of "ram" demon with large, deadly horns. It could use a charging attack that would combine the zombie's sudden dash with a powerful on-impact attack. If possible, add knockback to the hit for extra fun with traps, but if not, then the charge could have a high chance of stunning. It should have a fairly long cooldown though, because the move would best serve as a charge into battle rather than a constant threat in close melee.

I imagine a boss version of this monster as a giant named Siegebreaker As for standard versions, they could be called Ram Demons, Charger Demons, Horned Demons, or Bull Demons.
Old 10-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloodSpectre View Post
Well, with demons being the theme in the new expansion I thought of a possible new monster. It would be a sort of "ram" demon with large, deadly horns. It could use a charging attack that would combine the zombie's sudden dash with a powerful on-impact attack. If possible, add knockback to the hit for extra fun with traps, but if not, then the charge could have a high chance of stunning. It should have a fairly long cooldown though, because the move would best serve as a charge into battle rather than a constant threat in close melee.

I imagine a boss version of this monster as a giant named Siegebreaker As for standard versions, they could be called Ram Demons, Charger Demons, Horned Demons, or Bull Demons.
Now why does this remind me of football???
Old 10-01-2010, 06:09 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberjoy View Post
Now why does this remind me of football???
Well, at least you'll be better armored than a football player I was definitely envisioning this guy as a bipedal monster too..
Old 10-01-2010, 07:45 PM
Elite

Quote:

More cheers for Diablo I. I think the main version was called the Horned Demon.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:59 AM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roswitha View Post
More cheers for Diablo I. I think the main version was called the Horned Demon.
The Goat-clan guys? Not quite what I was thinking of, they were a bit cowardly (stuck to the walls and attacked from your flanks). The guys I'm suggesting would practically be berserkers, happy to charge right into a fight. Anyways, it was actually the Horned Demon in Dungeon Keeper fueling my initial inspiration, but the behavior and lack of a scythe keeps it from being terribly similar.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:00 PM
Elite

Quote:
The Goat-clan guys? Not quite what I was thinking of, they were a bit cowardly (stuck to the walls and attacked from your flanks). The guys I'm suggesting would practically be berserkers, happy to charge right into a fight. Anyways, it was actually the Horned Demon in Dungeon Keeper fueling my initial inspiration, but the behavior and lack of a scythe keeps it from being terribly similar.
Nope, not the goat clan. I'm thinking about the ones who show up a few levels lower. They look like bipedal rhinoceri; they trot around and then give a bellow and charge at you and knock you backward if they hit.