Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Din's Curse game
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2011, 11:22 PM
Amateur

Default Characters dressed like whores? Not playing.

I wanted to create a character, and saw that my preferred classes (wizard or conjurer, I like mages) have "wonderful" clothes, with their bras shown. Even male counterparts of these classes are dressed strangely, but at least for them it looks much more normal. I don't feel like playing a character dressed like a whore, but I want to play a mage-like class and the game shouldn't force me to play another class or hybrid just because its characters for my preferred classes are dressed in a strange, mysoginist manner. Nobody is running around dressed like that in real life, it does nothing but offend players. Just wanted to let others know that they're losing potential players for the game right at the character creation screen, maybe this flaw will get fixed in some patch in future.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:01 AM
Expert

It's curious that you find bras offensive and misogynistic, but not the term 'whore.'
Old 03-22-2011, 02:26 AM
Legend

The characters get dressed up in more clothes very early in the game -- in fact, the sooner you dress them, the better it is for them since they'll be more protected. So in fact the game sends the completely opposite message -- dressing like a 'whore' is dangerous to your health!
Old 03-22-2011, 03:02 AM
Champion

The best part for me is where you'll be able to see the front of your character maybe 5% of the time; and the female wizard outfit is EXACTLY THE SAME as the male wizard outfit, so there's hardly any discrimination going on here.

The real mystery is why it's okay to see the male wizard's manly pecs and yet the woman has to hide her shame. lol
Old 03-22-2011, 03:12 AM
Elite

A lot of games have a frankly embarrassing double standard when it comes to gender, but if you swap it around you'll see that male casters have almost exactly the same outfit and animations. It's actually pretty rare to see that kind of equality in RPGs, and I appreciate it in Din's Curse, which is why I'm kind of saddened to see Shadow accused of misogyny.

I'm not sure exposed skin is automatically sexual in any case, but that's a separate argument that doesn't seem worth getting into right now, so I'll just say I'm sorry if it makes you uncomfortable. You should find some cloth armor in the first few minutes of play if you decide to give the game a chance.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:17 AM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebarstad View Post
It's curious that you find bras offensive and misogynistic, but not the term 'whore.'
Wrong comparison. Speaking of terms, I find none offensive, they're merely descriptive. Speaking of what characters are presented as, it's a different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnakotus View Post
EXACTLY THE SAME as the male wizard outfit, so there's hardly any discrimination going on here.
Are you joking by capping "exactly the same"? Men don't have much to hide on their chest, our physiology is different. That's why the male version of sorcerer\conjurer looks normal.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:28 AM
Elite

Pnakotus, I disagree.

The best part is clearly "Nobody is dressed like that in real life."
Old 03-22-2011, 04:15 AM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
The characters get dressed up in more clothes very early in the game -- in fact, the sooner you dress them, the better it is for them since they'll be more protected. So in fact the game sends the completely opposite message -- dressing like a 'whore' is dangerous to your health!
Many of the female chest armor types continue the bare arms, visible bra/tank top theme. OTOH, some of the women's versions of armor show no skin and look prettier and more colorful than the male equivalents.

Don't feed the trolls.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:50 AM
Expert

Here we have the old preoccupation with nudity in a world that has many more important things going on.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:41 PM
Amateur

Sure, mistreating us (women) is never "important". It doesn't concern you, after all, and caring for the well-being of others is such an anachronism nowadays. Not that I expect any random people to care much, morality is old-fashioned and egoism is the spirit of our time, but I usually think that game developers wouldn't want to alienate potential players, it's bad for business.