Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Drox Operative > Invasion of the Ancients
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2013, 09:54 PM
Expert

Default "Invasion" frustration

So in new sectors im having a problem where the invading race is already there from the very beginning instead of actually invading later on. On my last map I found the ancient race right away and tried to destroy them. They had 5 planets in their home system. Over an hour I ground away at them taking out planet after planet until there was one left. But it respawned units faster than I could kill them. While I was fighting they still managed to conquer two neighbouring races. So im quite perplexed as to how exactly I should be playing (and more importantly, winning) this game at this point. Anyone have any tips for me?
Old 11-03-2013, 11:21 PM
Elite

Two things.

1. If you destroy a planet instead of killing its defenders first, they will head to the nearest enemy planet and attack it. Destroy three planets that way, and you have successfully launched a nearly unstoppable genocidal force. It's a good trick that I use when I want to destroy both of the races in question. It's not a good idea if you care about the enemies of the race whose planets you are blowing up.

2. If a planet spawns defenders faster than you can kill them, especially if you send one out of every few shots its way, your ship is not strong enough for this sector. I've been in that situation, mostly because of self-imposed house rules. There are still a few things that you can do, but they all cost money or time.

- Using rumors, make a strong nearby race angry with your target. Wait for them to send attackers, travel with them, help them with consumables, debuff their targets... basically be a good axillary and help them win the war.

- Using sabotage, create debilitating conditions on the enemy planets. With experience, you will learn to know when the ones you have created are bad enough. Leave the sector for a while, and when you come back, the planet's population will be a few well placed bombs away from extinction.

- Make peace with the enemy race. Help rebels, explode Brunt bombs, take missions from their enemies to mess them from within.

- But of course, the best way is to make your ship better.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:51 PM
Expert

Well I found killing ancients planets while they have defenders is next to impossible as while there is still even 1 defender the planet takes very little damage. Once the last defender is gone the planet dies in seconds.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:21 AM
Elite

Yes, if a planet is defended, it takes a lot less damage... but if your ship does really high damage, you can still take it out, especially if the population has been reduced through disease, poisoned food, and the like.

You may find it easier to win sectors if you play tiny and small sectors until you get a good idea of what's going on. You may want to quickly get in touch with all races present in the current sector through exploration or diplomacy, and make a master plan... deciding whom you will support, whom you will hinder, and whom you will designate as the whipping boy for everyone else.

At high levels, you will realize that all you care about is planetary services and the cash to spend on them. You will probably want to squeeze every single credit from everyone in the sector, which means starting wars and getting hired to fight for richer side... preferably one that provides a valuable planetary service. (Scavenger, Utopian, Lithosoid, Drakk, Fringe and their subraces are my usual allies)

Sure, sometimes the Drox Guild monkeys will mess up your plan, which is why it is often a good idea to solve quests for your enemies, but not turn them in for the reward. This way, you (1) don't piss off your allies and (2) have a quick way to ingratiate yourself to your enemies, should you decide to switch sides.