Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2012, 03:04 PM
Expert

Default Ready to throw in the towel.

I can't get fired up to play this game as it stands. It plays out the same every time. I collect loot and slowly uncover sectors that unlike dungeons in Din's seem like work rather than fun. I see tons of quests in other sectors that I have almost no chance of reaching. Consequently I don't feel a part of how this universe unfolds and my actions seem meaningless. In Din's I had a fair chance of reaching a level and completing some quests that would affect the world, but not here.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:59 PM
Elite

I know you've been playing for a while, so mentioning the following are all things you probably know. But, just in case:
  1. Make sure you are playing a tiny sector (small is the default but it's still pretty large). A tiny sector has only 5 star systems in it.
  2. Make sure your thrust is high enough to give you a Max Speed of 200 (this is shown on the character screen). If your speed is 200 you can get around a bit faster.
  3. Finding an activating all the jump gates will let you solve a lot more quest if that's what you want to do.
  4. If you feel the need to solve every quest, then that will be a problem. Drox is about solving quests only if they help you meet one of the 5 win conditions.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:44 PM
Elite

Also, starlanes connect systems together as in this picture. If you accept a quest from the relations/get quest screen, the galaxy map will show you where that system is, even if you haven't been there yet. If it's to the right of the system you are in, a starlane will be on the right side of your current system (if it's connected to your current system). Even if they are not connected yet, the starlane will be over on the right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Starmap1.jpg (49.4 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by PixelLord : 07-13-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:54 PM
Expert

Ok Pixel, I was playing a small sector so that could be the problem. I'm used to the urgency of quest solving with Din's so seeing a ton of them come up at once was kind of alarming. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:00 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axegrinder View Post
Ok Pixel, I was playing a small sector so that could be the problem. I'm used to the urgency of quest solving with Din's so seeing a ton of them come up at once was kind of alarming. Thanks for the clarification.
I'd just hate to see you throw in the towel. This is fairly different than DC even if a lot of the stuff is similar.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:12 PM
Elite

And here's a few navigation tips:

When you re-enter a star system that you've already explored, say, to get back to a planet you've previously located; bring up the system map (do not scroll the map), place your cursor directly over your destination (the planet in this case); Then. without moving your cursor, press escape; press W to thrust, and you will be heading directly for that planet. I'm not a huge fan of using waypoints (way too slow). This works for anything as long as you don't move your mouse cursor. Of course, you'll probably have to dodge traps and monsters on the way, but you'll still know the direction you need to go.

Also you can always determine where the center of the system is by watching the light on planets or even on your ship. This way you'll always have at least an idea of where you are in a system without even checking your system map.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:18 PM
Elite

Oh, and lastly (then I'll shut up), I've been playing this game for over 8 months now; and I almost always play tiny sectors because, for me, they are the most fun. A lot happens in a pretty small area, and completing quests is a hell-of-a-lot easier!
Old 07-13-2012, 11:39 PM
Amateur

I really want to like this game but for me there are two things that are very frustrating and take all the fun out of it:

1) It is far too hard to find your way around. Some quests give you the planet and star system, others just the planet -I've verified that too many times. And even if I have the system, sometime it's hard to find the way there via gates/starlanes.

2) Now that wouldn't 'be so bad except it is far too easy for quests to expire. Nothing is more frustrating than to go buy a good needed in a system, finally find the system and then the quest expire. Or get an order to kill a bandit, again finally find the system and then have someone else have killed him.

Getting quests and not being able to complete even half of them kills the game. Quest should be the meat of the game, a way, along with character development, to feel progress. Instead in my quest log I've got far more failed quests than completed quests. That shouldn't be.
Old 07-14-2012, 04:36 AM
Amateur

Currently the only way to really win is either to feed one race and get lucky so they don't behave like morons, and the win condition itself really just encourages you to wait until the very end, gorging yourself on mobs while allying with everyone, until only one race remains. It gets formulaic (and slow/boring/grindy/annoying) very quickly, and frankly is not a lot of fun past the first game or two.

A long-term goal to go for between games would rectify the problem by giving good incentive not only to back a single race over others, but would also have a degree of progression as you took that race from infancy to a galaxy-conquering titan. I appreciate the attempt to have a sort of strategy-style setup with individual games, but the lack of a decent metagame or persistence beyond the ship itself just saps any reason to play the game for more than a few hours.