Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Other > Miscellaneous
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2012, 09:28 AM
Amateur

Default Kickstarter Depths of Peril 2?

You will get $100 of my support for this.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:14 PM
Elite

I'm really a big fan of Depths of Peril and really, really want to see Depths of Peril 2. Steven has told me that it would take a lot of work programming-wise because the code has changed so much. It is very much on the table but I doubt it will be the next game. Maybe the one after that though. The timing has to be right. For instance, there are many reasons he's making a space game right now, including a big one that will be completely obvious on Tuesday, May 15!

Also, he plays with the idea of kickstarter, but at this time isn't intending on trying it. He may change his mind though!
Old 05-12-2012, 01:43 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delilah Rehm View Post
I'm really a big fan of Depths of Peril and really, really want to see Depths of Peril 2. Steven has told me that it would take a lot of work programming-wise because the code has changed so much. It is very much on the table but I doubt it will be the next game. Maybe the one after that though. The timing has to be right. For instance, there are many reasons he's making a space game right now, including a big one that will be completely obvious on Tuesday, May 15!

Also, he plays with the idea of kickstarter, but at this time isn't intending on trying it. He may change his mind though!
The great thing about a possible Soldak kickstarter is that Soldak is so small that the goal wouldn't have to be huge. A lot of these Kickstarters are asking for multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars, but I imagine you guys can make a game for a lot less given the size of the in house team.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:12 AM
Legend

Quote:

Perhaps a smallish expansion for DoP would be best. It would give Steven the opportunity to update DoP's code without having to do an additional huge amount of work. Implementing multiplayer in DoP seems like the perfect fit for something like this -- people have been practically begging for it.

In general, I think an expansion is a better way to go than a real sequel. Expansions don't normally require redoing art assets, while people expect a completely different looking game for a sequel. Given how much (unnecessary) work that is for you guys, expansions definitely seem like the way to go. Also, because the expectations for expansions are so much lower than for sequels, anything you add is much more appreciated.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:08 AM
Champion

I'm not sure for Dop2 Kickstarter is a good idea.
If people give Steven dollars, could influence his vision and this could be a problem.

I hope for a true sequel, with more control on village developement and more battles and options between barbarians clans And better graphics of course
Old 05-13-2012, 08:32 PM
Champion

Quote:
For instance, there are many reasons he's making a space game right now, including a big one that will be completely obvious on Tuesday, May 15!
This is the quote I found most intriguing in this thread, ha.

I've backed multiple projects on Kickstarter and it certainly brings a lot more exposure to potential buyers, at least currently. My only fear with the projects I've backed is that they take too much feedback in from the backers and end up designing a game that appeals to no one.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:05 PM
Champion

If he's still mostly doing all the programming alone, all the money in the world won't make it happen.

I would love to see DoP 2 or an expansion.

This type of game is too big to handle for one person. One person alone could be busy all day for months just finetuning the items and skills.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:25 AM
Legend

Quote:

I think steven's making the wise choice. It would be suicide to go against the certain big something coming out tomorrow. I only hope that i can understand and eventually get into drox. Ive played very few games like this, but to be honest, the game sounds more like depths of peril the more i hear of it. The beta should be fun I'm sure.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aReclusiveMind View Post
My only fear with the projects I've backed is that they take too much feedback in from the backers and end up designing a game that appeals to no one.
Ah the dangers of user feedback. We try to take into account as much feedback as we can, but we also try to not to let it derail the project from its core goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight1728 View Post
I only hope that i can understand and eventually get into drox. Ive played very few games like this, but to be honest, the game sounds more like depths of peril the more i hear of it. The beta should be fun I'm sure.
I think you will be good. While I think Drox does its own thing really well, I believe it shares enough aspects with DoP and DC that our previous customers will be comfortable and happy with it.
Patreon

Last edited by Shadow : 05-17-2012 at 09:52 AM.