Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Old > Drox Operative BETA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2012, 06:27 PM
Expert

Default Suggestions from a novice

I just got this downloaded yesterday, and I'm really enjoying it in spite of the crashes. I do have a few suggestions.

First, I would like to see some sort of indication (color coding, perhaps) of the urgency of a quest without having to read through the description.

Second, I'd like to be able to re-order my quests so I can keep track of my priorities more easily.

Finally, a couple things I just can't figure out that should probably be either in a tooltip or the online help (or easier to find in the help if I've missed them). What the heck does "Tweaked Find" do? What do the colored dots in the icon pictures mean?
Old 11-09-2012, 06:50 PM
Elite

First, make sure you're patched to the latest release

http://www.soldak.com/Drox-Operative/Patches.html

Ok, that said: I agree about quests. I think that 25th Century quest logs could be far more sophisticated.

Look for the "?"s on all the screens, there are overlay help dohickies that explain a lot of the user interface, in addition to the in-game help itself.

Tweaked Find: adds some chance of finding components to the base chance. So you'll be more successful when opening items that contain items, or getting drops from critters.

Dots on the component icons: Icons come in plain vanilla (none), green (1 green dot), yellow (2 yellow dots), blue, purple... this relates mostly to the additional features the item has. So a green item has the random stats for the item type PLUS one additional "feature" -- perhaps more durability, or a bonus to some unrelated stat like thrust or lowered power load. In theory, the most desirable components are the ones with the most "bonus features" -- as long as the basic thing they're supposed to do for you is decent. So you can get resistances, for example, without dedicating a slot to extra resistances -- just choose to equip items with resistance bonuses.

Hope that helps!
Old 11-10-2012, 01:45 PM
Expert

In that case, how is Tweaked Find different from Find Components?
Old 11-10-2012, 02:16 PM
Elite

Maybe one raises the chance of finding a component at all, the other raises the level of the components? It's a good question. I don't really have the answer. I consider that to be a tertiary bonus for items. I'm more interested in resistances, attack/defense bonuses, power/energy use, and sometimes thrust... Money & component tweaks are nice, certainly better than having no bonuses, but I don't install items specifically because of them. I'm pretty flooded with decent items...spend a lot of time between all my characters shuffling items around and trying to determine which ones are worth keeping around.... I don't need more of that
Old 11-10-2012, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by demoss View Post
In that case, how is Tweaked Find different from Find Components?
Find Components = increases chance to find any kind of component
tweaked find = increases chances of higher rarity components
Patreon
Old 11-10-2012, 07:43 PM
Amateur

I don't understand why you have colour and number of dots differentiating the loot type?

Personally I would find an indicator of the item's level on the icon helpful (like the consumables have, but a bit smaller and in the corner) since that seems to have a lot more bearing on how powerful something is than the dot colour. Either that or the loot system is a bit broken atm.

For example I recently found my first purple - I was pretty excited but upon checking it out, found it was L1 and I already had L4 Common equipped from hours ago that was a lot better.

Similarly, I just found an Elite Ramjet, but it's L1 and only gives 64 thrust ... I have a cheap Common L4 lying around that gives 148 thrust. Admittedly the Elite has a few more affixes on it, but it still sells for under half the Common does.

Last edited by profanicus : 11-10-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Amateur

I am having fun with the game, and currently there are only a few little annoyances that I thought I'd mention (besides the loot/level/quality thing):

1. When I am hailed by an ai, most of the time I don't want the relations screen to automatically open afterwards.

2. I like the green plus in the vendor lists that indicate superior items to the ones I currently have equipped - I wish these indicators were also present on the items in my inventory.

3. We can already 'Solve Quest' from the relations screen, so why not directly from the quest log? Or at least a button in the log linking to the relevant section of the relations screen.

4. If I alt-tab out of the game I don't want it to register as me using the "show items" toggle.

edit:
5. Numerical cool-down countdown on the hotbar icons would be a nice option.

Last edited by profanicus : 11-10-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by profanicus View Post
I don't understand why you have colour and number of dots differentiating the loot type?
If you are talking about the outline color, that tells you what slot the component can go in.
Patreon
Old 11-11-2012, 11:18 AM
Elite

I'm all for a return of the mark numbers on non-consumable components.