Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Depths of Peril > Depths of Peril strategy/tactics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2008, 05:16 AM
Amateur

Default struggling

Just discovered depths of peril and have been playing it non-stop since

I'm starting to find it a real struggle though, I'm on maybe my fifth game with my character, a level 15 warrior and the quests that I'm now being given just seem too difficult to achieve, especially the "go and kill xxxxxx's group" missions where the monsters seem to end me in two or three hits.

I'd go back after leveling up but experience gains from just roaming around killing stuff are very slow and I'm stuck for quests because I can't seem to achieve them.

The price of food has also risen to the point where I can't really afford to buy it and so am constantly dropping a portal and healing at home.

The thing is I'm not finding the other covenants a problem in the slightest, just the quests.

What am I doing wrong?
Old 12-01-2008, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

The "go and kill xxxxxx's group" quests are one of the harder quests to solve.

You might want to make sure that your town's food supply isn't poisoned if you are having food price issues. Talk to the apothecary to see if there is a food supply poisoned quest. If there is, that is part of the cause of the high food prices.
Patreon
Old 12-01-2008, 06:05 PM
Elite

Yep, what Shadow said.

I can't believe that all your available quests are "Go and kill XXXX the incredibily tough boss mob", but in some games this does tend to happen to me as well.

If you are a bit tardy in completing the quests, things can and generally will get worse sooner rather than later. Putting down uprisings and killing roaming, single bosses quickly can help.

You might be able to drop a few "kill XXX" quests and pick up some "gather x <foo> for me" quests. The armoursmith, weaponsmith and apothecary will dish these out from time to time as well as the two main quest givers in town.

Also if you go to a reasonably high level zone and try to find an underground dungeon area, there is a higher chance of champion and elite mobs spawning that grant good exp when killed as well as phat loot to sell to other covenants for money (to buy food). Also more chests to loot as well.

Lastly, you might just try roaming around explored levels at random in search of an uber-recruit. Sometimes just having a good stealth rogue companion, or in your case a high DPS mage that you can tank for is all you need to get you over an apparent hump in difficulty.

Almost forgot, if you are on good terms with another covenant, adventuring together with the other covenant leader can make boss fights even easier as they tend to be more powerful than standard recruits. Not only that, but if they agree to the idea, they'll like you more too!

Hope some of this helps.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:10 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chonker View Post
I'm on maybe my fifth game with my character, a level 15 warrior
Just on this; warriors tend to be very gear dependent. Once you've got a bit of cash together, go shopping not only at the vendors, but also at other covenants garage sales. Warriors can wear nearly any item of clothing/armour in the game. You might be suprised at what's lying around.
Old 01-02-2009, 09:46 AM
Elite

Also, the difficulty of a quest boss varies hugely, from doable without much hit and run to come back in four levels.

Level 15? That sounds about right for the impossibly difficult saurian bosses. Try splitting the groups up and fighting them one at a time.
more covenants: we smell blood in the water, ATTACK!
game: the guilded coin are raiding (player covenant) the shining blades are raiding (player covenant) the black raiders are raiding (player covenant) (player covenant)'s life stone is threatened (at 75%)
Player: *&%#
Draaien: hey, where did they all go?
Old 01-06-2009, 06:11 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by (name here) View Post
Also, the difficulty of a quest boss varies hugely, from doable without much hit and run to come back in four levels.

Level 15? That sounds about right for the impossibly difficult saurian bosses. Try splitting the groups up and fighting them one at a time.
Yeah, what he said.. Try luring the guys 1 by 1.. Try setting a portal.. Then rinse and repeat..
Old 01-07-2009, 11:47 AM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
The "go and kill xxxxxx's group" quests are one of the harder quests to solve.

You might want to make sure that your town's food supply isn't poisoned if you are having food price issues. Talk to the apothecary to see if there is a food supply poisoned quest. If there is, that is part of the cause of the high food prices.
That's a lot of good info to know. Thanks for that! Awesome feature, d00d! I had run into the same issue and didn't realize it was because the food supply was endangered, which it was, by the way. You know what would be great? If those kinds of notices could be expanded to warn the player of impending changes in food prices if left unaddressed.

I'd also like to see male and female models for each class. I don't want to play a girl but I do want to be a rogue.