Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Drox Operative > Drox Operative bugs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 03:41 PM
Amateur

Default LAN Multiplayer connection problems

Hi all,

My roommate and I are having some trouble here getting LAN games connected lately. When we first started our ships, everything worked fine and still occasionally does. So, we're not sure what's going on but here's what happens when we can't get connected.

"Indefinitely Waiting for Server"
  • Client Side: Upon connection attempt - Message "Waiting for server" goes nowhere.
  • Host Side: Can see connected client in MULTI list; but not actively on screen anywhere. (No green dot on radar; nor physically in the system)
The above rarely gets any further than that. We waited 20 minutes once and it never left that screen. Also, if the client exits the game and retries, the next time they see the server listed, it shows 2/3 connected to the server when only the host is on - with their previous connection attempt still apparently stuck in limbo.

"Successfully Connected" - no, not really
  • Client side: Connects and sees the "Successfully Connected, click OK to join." screen, clicks OK to join session, gets a black screen and does not connect or connects after a few minutes.
  • Client side: If connected after the above wait, client finds that warpgates are inactive and no races have been discovered.
  • Host side: Can see other player connected and ship in-game while client still on black screen. Host can see other player physically in the system but in the wrong starting location and vulnerable to damage/destruction by other ships.

This one is a bit more annoying; if you do manage to get connected after the black screen, the sector is completely out of sync (for lack of a better description.)

Meaning this:
The client isn't correctly bound to the initial warpgate and cannot use any other active warpgates - since they can't discover any races, all systems are therefore deemed "uninhabited" and the gates are simply not usable; inhabited system or not. While this is occurring, the host can discover a new race for the first time but the client does not. However, everything works fine for the host.

So that's pretty much it. I can give more details such as system specs, network details etc. if you guys need it.

Otherwise, great game Soldak, thanks for listening.
Old 01-11-2013, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

That's strange. Is it possible for you to email me the save game from the host computer of one of these games that is giving you this trouble?
Patreon
Old 01-11-2013, 05:31 PM
Expert

Ah, for a while now, I thought the 'client seeing solar systems as uninhabited on rejoin' was just a problem I was having.

A similar thread I started:
http://www.soldak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22654

Our network has this issue as well.

Something that may, or may not help:
Host server is windows Vista.
Client connecting is winXP SP3.

Also, we too experience a long join time for games that have been running for hours. Generally this is how our connections go:

1) Find LAN server in list
2) Waiting on server
3) Wait about 30 seconds
4) Successfully Connected!
5) Click OK
6) Wait at black screen for 2-5 minutes with green text in the lower left corner of 'Welcome to Drox Operative' (or something like that).
7) Game client joins fully, and I can play as normal.

Now, here is more info that I have uncovered after some time:

1) My father and I LAN at his house on a galaxy for 6-7 hours. Save and quit for both of us, pick up the next day.
2) LAN server starts up, client tries to join (see 1-7 for what happens next)
3) Play for a while, save and quit. I drive back to my house in a different city.
4) Father starts server up as an Internet game.
5) I join his internet game.
6) After a few seconds 'Connected Successfully!'
7) Black screen for about 1 second, sometimes less
8) Game client joins fully.

Internet games usually connect right on up without an issue, maybe 3 seconds total to connect from finding the game in the list to being in the galaxy and being shot at.

1-8 happen on this setup:
Server is windows Vista.
Client is windws XP SP3.
(Its the same setup as his house, specs are basically the same)

However, the warpgates and galaxies are still listed as uninhabited for an internet game, so that part of the puzzle is different than the connecting (I think).

So, perhaps this is TCP vs UDP networking (if LAN is UDP, maybe it is TCP, I didnt really check)

Thanks for a great game, we have poured hours into it and, infact, I am about to log another block of hours as I type this!
Old 01-11-2013, 05:41 PM
Amateur

Save files are on the way Shadow; I sent them off to your support address.
Thank you!

@droxop55:

Nice writeup there; pretty much same scenario as what we're seeing here as well. As far as our network here: 2 - Win7 x64 Pro PC's on a 1gb LAN connected through an Asus RT-N56U router.

We have only played it over LAN here but I have already forwarded the relevant ports through the firewall just in case we decide to play over the net at some point with other friends.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:31 PM
Expert

I see that beta patch 1.002 is available.

Perhaps, has there been any luck fixing the disappear warpage issues for clients that rejoin hosted games?
Old 02-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by droxop55 View Post
Perhaps, has there been any luck fixing the disappear warpage issues for clients that rejoin hosted games?
I have not had any luck fixing any multiplayer issues yet. I hope to focus on multiplayer a bit more in the next patch.
Patreon
Old 02-03-2013, 04:31 AM
Expert

Thanks for keeping us posted!
Old 02-06-2013, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

phaz0r, using your save game I'm not seeing the same behavior. However, I did fix 3 other multiplayer bugs first, so it's possible one of those helped. After the next patch, it would be nice to hear if your LAN problems are better or not.
Patreon
Old 02-15-2013, 03:15 PM
Amateur

Thanks for the heads up Shadow; will make some attempts when 1.003 is out of beta.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:59 PM
Expert

Actually, my wife and I used to have these problems in Din's all the time.

We've found that the same thing is happening in Drox. Most of the time we just give up and roll new ships, because once the problem starts, it seems the only solution is to 1) have a new ship created and join the existing saved server with the higher level character or 2) start completely from scratch.

We can try multiple scenarios, but we're definitely experiencing what was outlined in the first post. Two ships which have been playing together since they were created are suddenly having connection issue. If I try to join my wife's sector (new or otherwise), I get the indefinite connection attempt. If she joins mine, she gets the black screen.

Off to do some more testing.

-Des