Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Demon War
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Expert

Arrow Skill/Spell/Aura Trumping

Ok. I've had it up to here with some of these skills/auras/spells...

So I'm going to make a thread about them.

Post what you've found works best for countering a skill/spell/aura on a monster/boss.

Ex:

TARIS and VAZ -> THORNS aura. 100% MAX damage reflected back. Like, seriously? Oh, VAZ has the wonderful ability to regen health too. Yay.

How do you deal with that? (short from abandoning the town) I'm getting tired of having my proverbial ass handed to me by these "thorny" characters.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:05 PM
Legend

What is your build?
Old 03-06-2011, 10:35 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0stly_harmless View Post
TARIS and VAZ -> THORNS aura. 100% MAX damage reflected back. Like, seriously? Oh, VAZ has the wonderful ability to regen health too. Yay.

How do you deal with that? (short from abandoning the town) I'm getting tired of having my proverbial ass handed to me by these "thorny" characters.

I don't remember the name of the boss, but my friend ran into one with Thorns & health regen on her 87 lvl Warrior character.

Which was a pain and a half considering one strike from her and she just about one-shoted herself (and she had something like 2000 HP or something like that).

She tried running to town to heal then coming back, but he regened so fast, he was full health by the time she got back.

He was right next to the level/town teleport luckily, so she finally gave up trying to do it without dying, and decided just to eat the XP debt, hit him a few times (when she could actually hit him that is), die, race back with the telepot, hit him a few more times, die, race back, and so on and so forth...

I think she died a total of 23 times doing that, but he did eventually die because his regen wasn't fast enough for that.

Not long after that (and running into another group of 3 super-powerful bosses) she started a new Necromancer character and hasn't been back to her Warrior since.

Last edited by The Coffee God : 03-07-2011 at 12:08 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 11:18 PM
Legend

This might not help but if you get a lot of deep wounds on you, it might do him in from a light strike over time. Whenever i have to fight a boss like that, i manage by not using my heaviest hits and hoping for some deep wounds. Usually at a high enough level your doing so much damage that your hits from deep wounds kill mostly anything, especially from warrior type classes.
Old 03-07-2011, 12:13 AM
Champion

Some ideas:
First of all, Thorns refers to the mob's normal damage, not yours. The harder you hit him, the fewer times you get Thorned.

Ranged attacks usually* incur no Thorns riposte.

If you're not a caster or bowman and lack any ranged special attacks, switch to your max-damage slowest weapon or max Deep Wounds gear/weapon configuration, in either case attacking with your slowest special attack if it's slower or more damaging than the normal weapon swing, to minimize the number of incoming Thorns blows. With the Deep Wounds approach, run off if you can after each blow to reduce your exposure to normal attacks while you manage the Thorns damage and let the DW do their thing.

Melee types should also equip every Crushing Blow-boosting item you can, if not already at 100% Crush. Dual Garrip's Charms should do the trick nicely, or whatever jewelry replaces them later.

Look for a nearby Life Steal obelisk or preferably LS enchanter buff. That 50% life leech will keep a decent melee-er alive against anything that can't one-shot him.

If the enchanter doesn't have an LS buff, try Champion, Concentration: Speed, or Giant. You probably won't get lucky enough to activate a LS proc in time even if you have a good LS weapon.

Pause after each blow to consider your next move. Have no shame in these unrealistic tactics: these mobs are cheesily overpowered and deserve to be cheesed in return.

And obviously don't engage without full HP, plenty of strong healing potions, and your strongest foodstuff active.

*I've been Thorned while Thunderbolting something and have duly reported this as a bug.

Last edited by Manumitted : 03-07-2011 at 12:20 AM.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:00 PM
Expert

I've dealt with LS bosses and thorny ones... I don't know how all the numbers work, or why this works, but...

With my pure lvl 37 Demon Hunter build, I use Spirit Strike (lvl12) as my main attack always, as my mana regen is quicker than it's usage. An enemy can have up to 5 debuffs of Spirit Strike at a time at -120 defense/attack each. That's -600 defense/attack while I'm wailing away at +180% physical damage in addition to my Energy Shield (measly lvl 3) giving me +135 defense/block plus causing them another 20% damage if they manage to hit me. Pretty much every boss ends up swinging and missing while I Deep Cut, Crush, and Crit till they bleed out. It just seems Spirit Strike can rapidly make any enemies helpless.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalChampion View Post
It just seems Spirit Strike can rapidly make any enemies helpless.
I have never used it, but doesn't your statement there kind of make Spirit Strike a little OP? Maybe it just sounds that way.
Old 03-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Powers View Post
I have never used it, but doesn't your statement there kind of make Spirit Strike a little OP? Maybe it just sounds that way.
Well, one thing it doesn't (seem to) effect is magic attacks. Other than that, I've wondered if it is my character build or a possible oversight.

The thing is, when I'm surrounded I have to spread the Spirit Strike around and/or focus on the most dangerous baddie to incapacitate him, doing the Ravage/instant Spirit Strike technique. Luckily I found a one-handed axe that is amazing-- pretty much causing deep wounds constantly, with a nice DPS. I went through a Frost Rylor overlord with a 15 Frost Rylor group of bodyguards (incl. several champions) in less than a minute-- even while being stunned several times-- because they all kept bleeding to death. The boss even tried to run away!
Old 03-07-2011, 07:19 PM
Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalChampion View Post
Well, one thing it doesn't (seem to) effect is magic attacks. Other than that, I've wondered if it is my character build or a possible oversight.

The thing is, when I'm surrounded I have to spread the Spirit Strike around and/or focus on the most dangerous baddie to incapacitate him, doing the Ravage/instant Spirit Strike technique. Luckily I found a one-handed axe that is amazing-- pretty much causing deep wounds constantly, with a nice DPS. I went through a Frost Rylor overlord with a 15 Frost Rylor group of bodyguards (incl. several champions) in less than a minute-- even while being stunned several times-- because they all kept bleeding to death. The boss even tried to run away!
Ah, I didn't account for it being a single enemy thing.

I have a paladin/weaponmaster that is over 100% crush and 80(something)% bleed. That plus whirlwind and I can bust up a big monster party real quick!
Old 03-07-2011, 11:44 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manumitted View Post
Pause after each blow to consider your next move. Have no shame in these unrealistic tactics: these mobs are cheesily overpowered and deserve to be cheesed in return.
Sounds like Manumitted and I worship the same (evil) gods. (Don't tell Din.)

Pausing also gives time to consider food and health potions. May also want to consider a green (vitality) or red (strength) potion.