Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Demon War
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2011, 10:55 AM
Expert

Default Town Defense

I notice that whenever the town gets attacked, at least one resident almost immediately dies unless I'm really close and even then sometimes.

It seems that I can outfit them with cloth/leather gear but I don't want to take the time to outfit the entire freaking town every time I go to a new place.

I got a help hint stating that I can give something to the warmaster to outfit the whole town but either I misunderstood or the instant I handed it to him he auctioned it off.

Are there any recommendations for keeping my residents alive, maybe some way to get them to run to the town center when they are under siege (which they should do without having to be instructed first, the 'tards).
Old 03-16-2011, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

When giving items to the warmaster's armory slot make sure they are cloth or leather and chest, legs, gloves, or boot items. Basically if it is something that can be used by an NPC in town it would immediately be given to someone in town to use. If not it will be sold and used for the town lottery.

The other key thing is that when the town is under attack all of the NPCs will look towards the attackers so you know where they are.
Patreon
Old 03-16-2011, 11:34 AM
Expert

Okay, so it's given to a random resident? Or is it assigned at the point of invasion?

In either case, I wish the town residents would gather in the town square to repel invaders, rather than stupidly deciding to go toe-to-toe with a 10 foot monster than I, a hero with quite a bit of monster-slaying experience, would have trouble with.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:42 AM
Legend

It's handed out right away based on priority, with the quest givers getting the best stuff.

It's true that many things could be done to make the town defend itself better, but the idea is that these humans are fragile and need your help. If you played DoP, the preceding game, you'd have seen how the barbarians of Jorvik were able to take care of themselves rather well.

Actually, getting all geeky here, according to the Depths of Peril lore, the humans in the towns should be from the Krieg kingdom since they worship Din. The Kriegs are warriors, so why are they so weak? Whatever. The point is, they're weak.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:01 PM
Expert

Indeed they are : /

I didn't enjoy loading a new town only to lose 100 reputation less than 3 seconds after I had spawned because the town was immediately under siege and the residents were weak as newborn babies : /
Old 03-16-2011, 12:04 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwhacker2k View Post
Indeed they are : /

I didn't enjoy loading a new town only to lose 100 reputation less than 3 seconds after I had spawned because the town was immediately under siege and the residents were weak as newborn babies : /
The randomness is part of the fun Learn to accept the fact that you won't save every town. It makes it both more realistic and perhaps more enjoyable since in this RPG, you can live with the consequences of failing. AFAIK a siege as fast as that is quite rare.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:05 PM
Elite

It still bugs me a little when most of the town fodder get wiped out by a fast-moving scree invader with thorns. But now I'm getting tempted to wipe out some of these guys, as an object lesson for the rest of the townies to train harder.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:41 PM
Expert

I don't think I mind so much the town getting wiped, that'd be kind of interesting actually, since I'm used to games bending over backwards to accommodate my whims rather than trying to be challenging.

I still think the instant -100 rep was pretty lame, but at least it wasn't much.

I wish we could train these guys, or at least work out some strategy, I mean I AM trying to save them, not just wander in and take care of all their problems without really bothering anyone.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:13 AM
Amateur

-100 rep is a drop in the ocean, trust me. Once you got to a certain stages of playing, you'll be used to the fact that normal people dying are just "collateral damage" in this war
Old 03-17-2011, 05:54 PM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwhacker2k View Post
I don't think I mind so much the town getting wiped, that'd be kind of interesting actually, since I'm used to games bending over backwards to accommodate my whims rather than trying to be challenging.

I still think the instant -100 rep was pretty lame, but at least it wasn't much.

I wish we could train these guys, or at least work out some strategy, I mean I AM trying to save them, not just wander in and take care of all their problems without really bothering anyone.
I wipe out any villagers that do anything remotely unfriendly. Someone steals, dead, someone gets drunk and starts a fight, dead. The only people i dont kill are the people necessary to survive the town-apothecary, steward, warmaster. The people that are justly in a fight, or get property stolen, i usually give them some money to let them focus on something else.