Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Demon War
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2011, 11:23 PM
Amateur

Just in case the OP's point was lost along the way... I'll register a 100% agreement that the tornadoes are really unfair and frustrating right now. Losing a town at the drop of a hat to something you have zero control over and zero defense against is simply random and arbitrary and infuriating.

I just had one of those epic towns where I defended against dozens and dozens of tough town attacks, killed scores of bosses and super bosses, destroyed all manner of machines and uprisings and rebellions and everything else... then, after hours and hours of work with the light finally at the end of the tunnel, a tornado randomly showed up and destroyed the town in about 6 seconds by killing all three quest-givers at once, while I was in the dungeon and had no time to react.

There has to be some way to prevent or combat the tornadoes, otherwise it's a realy bad game element and should be removed imho.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:51 PM
Legend

Maybe you can have the option of building a device that enhances against earth magic or w/e. Everyone in the town gains resistance to it, thus making it so they hurt, but dont obliderate everything in sight.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:48 AM
Elite

To keep the discussion going, here are some possible suggestions:
1) Make the houses in town damage-able. Some amount of damage creates rubble, then some amount more needed to remove the rubble.
2) Some of the optional townpeople quests should be for getting building materials (get X items, allow both the monster-drop and the lying about items), which would repair or create more houses in town.
3a) Building a house = happiness gain.
3b) Destroy house = happiness lost
4) Tornados do a lot less damage to people, but can damage/destroy town buildings. Probably lightning strikes too.
5) Invaders (like the barbarians) should sometimes target the houses and not the townies (unless being attacked by the cloth-wearing kamikazes).
Old 04-03-2011, 03:05 AM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight1728 View Post
Maybe you can have the option of building a device that enhances against earth magic or w/e. Everyone in the town gains resistance to it, thus making it so they hurt, but dont obliderate everything in sight.
To build on this idea since the tornado is a big gameplay element rather than a 1 shot quest, we could have 2 ways to deal with tornadoes:

1. Gather ingredients for a spell that'll make the approaching/current tornado go away.
2. A multi-part quest to create a tornado-repelling machine. Once you've built this device (and this involve be 4-5 individual quests) tornadoes are greatly weakened in the town. The alternative (instead of a multi-part quest) would be that you could build several of these machines, each one reducing the effect of tornadoes.

An interesting result of this could be that monsters would seek to destroy your anti-tornado device(s). It's a pretty good way to hurt the town.

This would turn a really annoying game element into something fun.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:49 AM
Elite

I think that tornados should come about in one of two ways - 1) if there is a weather machine present there would be a chance to spawn a tornado. Then, by trying to destroy the machine you have at least some control over if they occur or not, 2) tornado could be a specific type of trap, especially on chests. This way you can make the choice of opening a chest and potentially triggering a tornado or not.

In either case the townies should at least have some chance (maybe 75%?) of getting out of the way. This way a full range of outcomes is possible, from no deaths to several, but with utter disaster scenarios less likely.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:21 PM
Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caal View Post
I think that tornados should come about in one of two ways - 1) if there is a weather machine present there would be a chance to spawn a tornado. Then, by trying to destroy the machine you have at least some control over if they occur or not, 2) tornado could be a specific type of trap, especially on chests. This way you can make the choice of opening a chest and potentially triggering a tornado or not.

In either case the townies should at least have some chance (maybe 75%?) of getting out of the way. This way a full range of outcomes is possible, from no deaths to several, but with utter disaster scenarios less likely.

It seems intuitive to link tornados to the weather machine. If you let a weather machine sit in the dungeon for too long, there's eventually a chance to spawn a tornado. Once the tornado comes, the only way to get rid of it is to go down and destroy the weather machine.

And if you always do your weather machine quests quickly, you'd never see a town tornado at all.

In fact, the first time I saw a town tornado I immediately ran down to destroy a weather machine that had been around for a while. I thought surely that this would get rid of the tornado, and was surprised that it didn't.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:38 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by menscher View Post
I thought surely that this would get rid of the tornado, and was surprised that it didn't.
Interesting point, do weather machines only spawn tornadoes without controlling them or do they do something totally different?
Old 04-04-2011, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Weather machines do increase tornado changes a lot, but they don't control them really. Although that's not a bad idea.
Patreon
Old 04-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Legend

I agree that this is a good idea. The more the player feels the direct impact of his actions, the better. Destroying a darkness machine makes the darkness go away, and destroying the weather machine while a tornado is raging should do the same for the tornado.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:43 AM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluddy View Post
I agree that this is a good idea. The more the player feels the direct impact of his actions, the better. Destroying a darkness machine makes the darkness go away, and destroying the weather machine while a tornado is raging should do the same for the tornado.
I quite agree, I can accept some lack of control, but if a huge frickin' tornado suddenly starts killing townspeople and I can do nothing about it, then I just get bothered.

I'm really glad Shadow is involved in the forums, our suggestions don't fall on deaf ears