Soldak Home   Drox Operative   Din's Curse   Depths of Peril   Zombasite  

Go Back   Soldak Entertainment Forums > Din's Curse > Demon War
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-06-2011, 08:55 AM
Super Moderator

Well at least for now in the next patch all tornadoes are caused by weather machines so the player has a bit more control.
Patreon
Old 04-06-2011, 03:37 PM
Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
Well at least for now in the next patch all tornadoes are caused by weather machines
This is huge.

And for some reason made me think of the Weather Wizard in the Superman animated episode "Speed Demons".
Old 04-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Expert

Quote:
Well at least for now in the next patch all tornadoes are caused by weather machines so the player has a bit more control.
Sweet, thanks, Shadow!
Old 04-07-2011, 10:35 AM
Amateur

Quote:
While I support this change, that will still leaves the weather machine being the most powerful and feared thing in the game from my experience. I had one pop up a few levels lower than where I was at. Granted this was my first experience, so I wasn't rushing to it at first... until the town had been hit with 3 tornadoes in a rather short time.

At that point I was completely focused on trying to find it. It was in a brutal dungeon and all of the shop NPCs were eaten by tornadoes. With no food or water or place to sell loot, I was desperately clinging to life while searching for this thing. By the time I got to it I'd had 3 more tornadoes. The town had been all but emptied out, but miraculously both the warmaster and the steward had been untouched. I actually ended up finishing the town, but wow.

As interesting an experience as it turned out, it is no small amount of unbalance with anything else. Unlike other machines, which are a trifle at best and a nuisance at worst, a weather machine will always be the absolute top priority, no matter where it happens to be located in a dungeon.

Currently, the tornado just feels like a indomitable juggernaut of threatening instant loss so a change is positive, but it really seems to me that the weather machine will easily remain the most dreaded event one could possibly get. I just got Demon War and was not of veteran experience in the vanilla game, but I can't imagine that I'm alone on that. I've not encountered anything that I'd consider as much of a threat.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:58 AM
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haus View Post
While I support this change, that will still leaves the weather machine being the most powerful and feared thing in the game from my experience. I had one pop up a few levels lower than where I was at. Granted this was my first experience, so I wasn't rushing to it at first... until the town had been hit with 3 tornadoes in a rather short time.

At that point I was completely focused on trying to find it. It was in a brutal dungeon and all of the shop NPCs were eaten by tornadoes. With no food or water or place to sell loot, I was desperately clinging to life while searching for this thing. By the time I got to it I'd had 3 more tornadoes. The town had been all but emptied out, but miraculously both the warmaster and the steward had been untouched. I actually ended up finishing the town, but wow.

As interesting an experience as it turned out, it is no small amount of unbalance with anything else. Unlike other machines, which are a trifle at best and a nuisance at worst, a weather machine will always be the absolute top priority, no matter where it happens to be located in a dungeon.

Currently, the tornado just feels like a indomitable juggernaut of threatening instant loss so a change is positive, but it really seems to me that the weather machine will easily remain the most dreaded event one could possibly get. I just got Demon War and was not of veteran experience in the vanilla game, but I can't imagine that I'm alone on that. I've not encountered anything that I'd consider as much of a threat.
Great point Haus!

I hope that the way Shadow is implementing this change, while tornadoes will get a bigger chance of occuring with weather machines, they should by no means a sure thing once a weather machine is built. There are many ways of having bad weather -- tornadoes are just the most extreme form. You're right that weather machines will still be extremely important, but you should only have to run to destroy them if a tornado has already arrived.

I think there should still be a chance of the tornado still leaving on its own, and there should also be enough time to go destroy the machine once a tornado has made its presence known.

In terms of the urgency -- I wish the other machines actually mattered more than they do i.e. I wish each machine could cause something minor but also have a small chance of causing something very dangerous. The closest thing I can think of is the anti-magic machine which can actually become a huge nuisance for a mage character. In my experience even an earthquake machine doesn't make that much of a difference.